PDA

View Full Version : SAMPLE 2 MASTERS OF THE STREET ASIA

kevin the clown
02-19-05, 06:16 PM
SINGAPORE

A few more sample readings for my friends of MS
LOVE TO HEAR YOUR COMMENT
HELPFUL TIPS FOR AN ENTERTAINER IN ASIA

1. Do not point at people with your fingers.
2. Do not point with your left hand.
3. Do not touch or walk at a level above monks.
4. Do not show a temper as a response to aggressive behaviour by others.
5. Wear special foot powder so you can comfortably remove your shoes when entering as a guest to a house (this is mandatory).
6. Keep your ego under control.
7. Never use bad language in public.
8. Do not compare the fruits of one to those of others.
9. Respect their way of living and religion.
10. Win merits by doing charity or noble work.
11. Do not eat in western fast food restaurants.
12. Get used to fish and fruits with rice for the staple diet.
13. Avoid all meats when possible. Chicken is the norm.
14. Make sure your salads are very clean.
15. Do not exploit the people because of your wealth.
16. Try to be the last person to begin eating when invited to a home.
17. Many times it is tradition to eat with the right hand without silverware; but never with the left hand.
18. Pass all items with your right hand to other dinner guests.
19. Do not rip money or treat it disrespectfully, even in a routine.
20. Take at least two cold showers every day using as little soap as possible.
21. Buy only the best quality in sun lotions, condoms and insect repellents.
22 Take plenty of vitamins until your system accepts the food fully.
23. Cover your mouth with your free hand when you use a toothpick.
24 Be aware of con artists posing as tourists.
25. Learn the difference between Thai people and Chinese as soon as possible.
26. Try to learn meditation and visit the traditional massage temples.
27. Enjoy yourself and don't be paranoid; you are probably safer here than where you come from

FACTS ABOUT DRUGS

Cannabis / Hashish 500 grams ......Death penalty in Singapore
Heroin 50 grams ......Death Penalty in Singapore

In Singapore, you cannot be saved from drug penalties and no amount of money will help. Plea bargains are given to informers in some extreme cases.

Cannabis / Hashish 200 grams ……Death penalty in Malaysia
Heroin 12 grams ……Death Penalty in Malaysia

In Malaysia, things are very complex as the religious police and government’s police have two different ideas on how to handle drug dealers and many times their opinions collide. I once met a Dutchman who was caught with drugs and told the religious police he wanted to give up his evil ways and learn about the Islam. After three years of learning the Koran, he was given a visa and a new name. This would never happen in Singapore, so therefore I felt happy for him.I do not plan to write much about drugs, knowing that many street artists have problems with them or with alcohol. I do not consent to any government who would take a life for the possession of soft drugs such as Cannabis. If all countries did this, there would be no more artists and many of my friends would have been killed by execution.
These governments are too extreme for today's free world and no government or religious establishment should have a licence to kill. Imagine how easy it would be for someone who did not like you to put drugs in your house and then call the police. That is perfect murder and no government in the world should be the one to execute on such an evil plan. Drug addicts need doctors and help, not the death penalty. History shows most people just grow out with time. I can not imagine a dealer doing 40 years in prison then doing the same thing when he gets out, can you ? What is more scary is no one even talks about this over here. At least don’t say I did not warn you.
Sultans and Kings are many times above the law in these far lands of Asia. They are the only ones governments will bow to. If you have a real problem, you should write to one of these royal highnesses. Lives are often spared to show compassion or just to flex their powers.
On the streets, many people call Singapore, Hangapore. But in truth, there are many other countries that are hanging people, including my own.

WHAT’S GOING ON IN SINGAPORE

Singapore is a very rich city-state. It is indeed the Switzerland of Asia. The people are very outgoing and many events take place throughout the country. You can take a taxi for $15 US to the border of Malaysia, or a ferry ship to Baton Island. This is a great place for a Western street artist. The ones with a good show will do very well. I know of no other country in the world where all is a local phone call or a $10 US cab ride away.
Visa and work permits are very possible to get while in the country. But fire shows are hard to pull off here. Below is a list of places that cooperate with street artists and can really help to put you to work. I wish I would have had such a list of places to contact at hand when I started my travels to Asia. Please have your artist bio ready as they may hire you very fast!
Singapore was a country I could write thousands of dollars in contracts every week.

Warning: Tropical, hot weather is the norm. Try to avoid shows outdoors in the daytime. If you have to work out in the heat, you need to take with you some water and fresh clothes. Wear only light cotton clothes or you will really suffer.

NEXT PAGE
Confucius: Moral Guidance without Faith

As a western entertainer that will tour parts of the eastern world dominated by general Chinese beliefs, it is important to understand the following description of noble Chinese logic.
(The following summary was written by Steven Chan of Singapore and copied from his newspaper article.)
Morality is independent of religion or God. This is clearly demonstrated by the question, “Is something right because God commands it, or does God command it because it is right?” The former explanation would make anything right, including killing your neighbour and violating his wife, so long as God wills it. And this is absurd.
A basic approach to ethics, adopted by many non-religionists, is to do no harm to others. This is the essence of the Golden Rule: “Do not do to others what you do not wish others to do to you.” However, a truly moral man must not only harm no one, he must actively search to do good. For inaction, for example allowing a child to drown, is morally contemptible and a crime of omission.With regards to the views of certain religious leaders on the issue of people with no religion, I must express my strong disappointment with some of their comments. To claim that people with no religion “tend to be more self-centred,” is simplistic and an unfair stereotype. Remarks such as, “(non-religionists) can treat people...unkindly by cheating, lying or hurting,” are as offensive as statements that suggest Catholic schoolgirls are starved for sex, Jews are Christ-killers and Muslims are terrorists. No individual should suffer the indignity of having his moral character questioned simply because he does not subscribe to the supernatural, if not superstitious, beliefs of the majority. Distasteful labelling of non-religionists as “materialistic” and “inconsiderate” serve only to perpetuate unfounded prejudices and misunderstandings which are not conducive to social harmony. While, within limits, it is true that religion helps to define moral values more clearly, it is incorrect to presume that “for someone with no religion, those definitions are based only on his perceptions.”Confucius, a gentleman and great philosopher, preached no new faith; but nonetheless developed a most successful moral value system that has formed the core of proper Chinese behaviour, even to this day. Though the “grounds for ascertaining bad and good are different from religious people,” they are every bit as valid and justifiable by sound reasoning. The example of Confucianism, the main voice of Chinese conscience throughout history, also demolishes the myth that religion is needed to give society its principles.
As an atheist, I personally find the mention of a so-called “spiritual” dimension to life highly suspect, as it is overloaded with supernatural connotation. Instead, it would be more appropriate to use the neutral term, “philosophical.”
-Religion may help some people “find meaning in life ... direction and a sense of hope and destiny.” However, this is beside the point. One man’s meat is another man’s poison. The idea of a man as a pawn in the game of fate is akin to a cruel joke and holds no appeal to me.
Man is master of his own making. We are who we will ourselves to become. Life, in itself, is meaningless; but by infusing it with one’s heart and mind, it gains a purpose of being. Self-reliance in the face of adversity is a measure of a person’s inner strength. To plea for guidance or fortitude from some external agency or force is a sure sign of dependency and weakness.If non-religionists are lacking in these qualities, then it is no big loss. All this debate about the so-called good of religion seems to blindly ignore the realities of its volatile and potentially violent nature.Many of the worst atrocities against humanity were sanctioned in the name of religion, for example the Crusades, Spanish Inquisition and Jihad. The merit of any belief system is to be judged by the actions, not merely the words, of its followers. Viewed in this light, the record of religion is far from glorious.Finally let me, as non-religionist, end with these thoughts on a self-guiding motto for the right conduct:
Live I, so live I, to my faith feverously,to my fellow men kindly,to my country loyally,
to my friends bosomly, to my love passionately, to myself truthfully.
Die I, so die I.