performers.net forums

performers.net forums (http://www.performers.net/forums/index.php)
-   TOOLS OF THE TRADE (http://www.performers.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   The Holy Grail PA system ? The Stuffed Thing…. (http://www.performers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16072)

nick 03-31-09 01:15 PM

The Holy Grail PA system ? The Stuffed Thing….

Hi - I thought some of you might like to hear about a new PA system I have designed. As a street performer for 10 years working with shows dependant upon tiny, hidden, loud PA systems, I have explored the world of opportunities of what is and isn’t available. From my earliest performances I knew I would have to design my own system as there was simply nothing small, light and powerful enough for what I needed. Years of research and development led to using equipment that amazed people and performed pretty well.

In 2008 I decided both for my own use and for other performers I, along with an electronic and acoustic engineer, would design from scratch a brand new system that used state of the art worldwide components. The result is the ‘Stuffed Thing’. I do honestly believe that it is the best PA system in the world for many street performers - it’s also a great PA system for many other applications. It is super lightweight, tiny, very loud, has a long battery Life, and HI-Fi quality sound….so it should tick all the required boxes. According to current CAA guidelines you can fly with it as well.

Some reviews…..

"I started to play the Stuff and Things system in the Belfast Circus School and was besieged by street performers interested in how such a great sound could come from such a small system. Extensive testing over the next two days only served to reinforce their interest. I have never seen such enthusiasm for a sound system in twenty years in the business. This system is going to be the standard for the Festival of Fools – easy to transport, easy to operate and fantastic sound.”
Will Chamberlain, Director, Festival of Fools

"Hi Nick, I picked up the parcel this morning and we have heard the glory that is the stuffed thing! Great.....
The quality is very crisp and clear."

Sue Auty, Whalley Range All Stars

"The volume was truly miraculous – particularly for such little boxes! So yes I am very happy with the system and reckon it’s definitely worth the money. I have put together all sorts of sound systems over the years, for my different acts and walkabouts, using off the shelf units so I know something about the problems and limitations of portable gear and can appreciate what you’ve achieved with this set up."
Bernie Bennett

"It sounds wonderful. We tried it out at the weekend, V loud and great quality."
Mandy, Grand Theatre of Lemmings

These are for sale from England – they aren’t cheap, but if you need sound that Fender Amp Cans, Taxis, Limos etc can’t deliver for various reasons then this is probably what you have been looking for. For more details go to www.stuffandthings.co.uk/pa.htm

Details…..

20cm x 19cm x 12cm
Measured at 38W RMS per channel at distortion point (total 76W RMS / 140W Peak with two speaker system)
(variants can give up to total 400W peak)
Li-ion Battery
2.5Kg

Thanks,
Nick Warburton.
AKA Edmond Tahl.

elbonko 03-31-09 10:42 PM

stuff missing?

so, to run a mic and an ipod you need a separate mixer? bummer.

nick 04-01-09 09:51 AM

Yes and No. Extra channels can be built in, but since tiny 8 channel battery mixers that are 15 cm long can be bought for under £25 there seems little point. UK supplier Maplin Electronics have some of these, or else for better quality try Behringer mixers. I can do a double input but it will cost more than an external mixer and have less functions I'm afraid.

Cheers,
Nick.

nick nickolas 04-02-09 10:51 PM

price

How much Nick?

Nick

gav 04-03-09 05:02 AM

I think you would have a much bigger market for these amps if you built in one of those cheap off the shelf mixers you mention.
A lot of performers require more than one input and would like to just be able to switch an amp on without having to deal with external connections to a seperate mixer.
Otherwise it's good to see the latest light wieght technology being used in a street amp.

nick 04-03-09 06:15 AM

Hi - there are several reasons why they are called Stuffed and Thing, and one is because Stuffed is Stuffed. If I put an off the shelf mixer inside then you wouldn't have a speaker or amplifier, as there is simply not enough space. The acoustics of the box which has had its resonant frequency tuned will be compromised as well. The point of this system is that it is as small and as cheap and as light weight as I can make it. I have weighed up all the pros and cons, and an external mixer is what I recomend for most people. However if anybody can't / doesn't want that then they can contact me to talk about modifications. These are entirely hand built so I can work out a price based on different specifications - it's not a problem, just a more expensive solution.

Frisbee 04-03-09 12:38 PM

how much for the standard one input and how much for the two input modification?

nick 04-03-09 06:44 PM

Hi -prices vary according to specification - between £350 and about £1200, with a fairly standard twin speaker system at about £600. Components are bought from all around the world and are subject to exchange rate fluctuations so prices can vary -this is plus carriage; but for the moment I'm not going to be exporting to the US I'm afraid - mostly to do with export laws - sorry.

nick 04-03-09 06:48 PM

Oh yes extra input - I'm working out a price. A second input is quite easy, and will probably be between £20 and £30; but I would like it to have a balance control between the two channels to fade one up whilst the other fades down which is more complicated - so I'm working with my engineer to nail down a price.

nick 10-24-11 05:37 PM

Since 2009 there have been many developments with extra inputs, outputs, mixing, power out etc. designed to fulfill requests and needs. There is also now a Mk3 system with approx twice the output of the mk2 system at a peak of 220 watts. Work continues on the development of an invisible bodypack PA system that may be for sale one day, but for now it is just for my own use. These systems are only for sale within Europe, but many performers pick them up on tour for european use... http://www.stuffandthings.co.uk/pa.htm

Nick.

nick 06-01-16 06:31 AM

2016 news

A lot has changed since 2009. Now there are two alternative PA's the Mk2.5 and the Mk4 - both with added improvements over the Mk2 and Mk3. There is also a remote control MP3 player - the Q system.

Details of all can be found here - http://www.stuffandthings.co.uk/pa_and_mp3.htm

...and worldwide shipping is now possible.

Nick.