performers.net forums

performers.net forums (http://www.performers.net/forums/index.php)
-   FESTIVAL AND PITCH ETHICS (http://www.performers.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   appropriate material? (http://www.performers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15086)

George Gilbert 01-01-09 03:25 PM

appropriate material?

I hope i'm posting this in the right section - It's not really a question of ethics.. Rather a question of what kind of material is appropriate working the festival gig....

Here's the deal .. I've been street performing for a few years now .. and now I want to start working festivals.... I've crashed a good number of fests but I've never been booked by one.

I have a family show.. However , I'm wondering how many festivals would find my material unappropriate .

2 things mainly: I do a cigarette manipulation act ending with the production of a giant cigar... Of course I tell the kids not to smoke or else they might grow up lookin like me!

and I also do rope through neck presented in a unique way.. I tell the audience if I don't find a previously selected card I would just hang myself.. During the trick I tell the kids not to try this at home of course..

(you can see my promo with this routine here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwoDA...e=channel_page)

I'm really proud of what I'm doing because I've worked really hard at it but how many festivals do you think would find this unnapropriate?? Would I lose out on many gigs? Should I just write a new show for festivals?

Thanks

GG

Evan Young 01-01-09 05:28 PM

Basically, to book festivals you need to look like a festival performer. The person booking shows has a vision of what things should look like, and you either fit that or you don't. Different festivals will have different things in mind. My girlfriend books entertainment for a festival that you applied too. it's important to realize that you won't fit in everyplace, even if it's clear you are a decent act.... i.e. nothing about you makes sense in a festival that's all about fairies, unicorns, green men, and sparkles (but it doesn't hurt to submit anyway).
You can't tell what's happening in the beginning of the video.
The cigarette in the promo might discourage some from booking you, but once you are booked they probably won't care as long as you are entertaining and the crowd is happy.

You need a real website with good pictures. It's hard to believe you are a reliable professional when all you have is a myspace page.

direct answer to the question: just push other parts of the show in the promo.

Doctor Eric 01-06-09 02:46 PM

fear gets you no where.

Send in a tape, find out, and don't ask other performers what is appropriate, you'll NEVER get a correct answer (although Evan probably gave you the best answer possible)

You wrote it, stand by it until you decide YOU don't like it. Slap on some pants, be a man.

Mr.Taxi Trix 01-07-09 12:55 AM

Nice to see you back, Eric.

Dynamikemagic 11-27-09 04:03 AM

It is all in the promo. I tried looking at your video but it is removed. I will still share my views. If you feel uncomfortable about showing something in your promo video, keep it out. If you know it is safe for you to use in your act, use it in your act, but keep it off the video.

I use Chair Suspension in my acts. But I do not show it on my promo video because the viewer might think it is dangerous, and scare him/her away.

George Gilbert 11-28-09 12:31 AM

sorry it took so long to reply..

thanks everyone especially Evan, that was seriously helpful.

this is an older post, and i'm finally starting to get my stuff togeather... i was in a weird place... one of the reasons I started street performing is because I was never very business savy, and had no idea how to land gigs.

Dallas 12-02-09 01:00 PM

it's all...

It's all in who you know. Let's face it.

Rachel Peters 12-02-09 04:40 PM

So? ...Have you booked any gigs yet?
Or boosted your promo?
I agree about keeping what you want to keep because you put it in the show for a reason - because YOU like it. And I agree that it's about how you sell yourself. (I always get to these posts too late to say much of anything original. I've been away from p.net too long.)
So, take in mind that even the fellow who tells you to put some pants on occasionally asks people's opinions on his promo.

Doctor Eric 12-02-09 08:05 PM

SLAP ON SOME PANTS!

BE A MAN!!

Rachel Peters 12-02-09 08:11 PM

Who, Me???

Doctor Eric 12-02-09 08:32 PM

Yes, YOU....

Rachel Peters 12-02-09 08:35 PM

I'm TRYING. You KNOW I'm in 'transition'!
And I can't HELP it if my pants keep falling down. When you mess yourself enough times, it just weighs them down, you know? ...of course you know.

Doctor Eric 12-02-09 08:50 PM

I DO know, and back on topic, I must that I positively REFUSE to take that part out of my act.

It's ART, dammit.

Rachel Peters 12-02-09 09:04 PM

Most of it is art, I'll agree. But when you started using it to reenact the mashed potato mountain scene from "Close Encounters of The Turd Kind", it just kind of crossed the line for me. I heard the festival got a few complaints.

Doctor Eric 12-02-09 09:06 PM

It's not my fault that your tiny Canadian brain can't fathom my genius. In 40 years, you'll understand.

Doctor Eric 12-02-09 09:06 PM

Oh, and I just found out it's pantsless Wednesday, so you're off the hook....

FOR NOW.

Doctor Eric 12-02-09 09:07 PM

Oh, and I just found out it's pantsless Wednesday, so you're off the hook....

FOR NOW.

Rachel Peters 12-02-09 09:09 PM

Way to repeat yourself, Repeaties McGee. Why don't you go and REPEAT yourself some more.

Doctor Eric 12-02-09 09:16 PM

It wasn't me, p.net hiccupped

Rachel Peters 12-02-09 09:19 PM

Your Mom hiccuped.

...Oh and... Hitler.

(The true sign of a fight reaching its lowest point is when someone mentions Hitler.)

Done and done.