performers.net forums

performers.net forums (http://www.performers.net/forums/index.php)
-   GIGS - FESTIVALS (http://www.performers.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Jacksonville, FL Spectacular New Venue for Buskers & Street Performers (http://www.performers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16124)

RiversideArtsMarkt 05-05-09 11:56 PM

Jacksonville, FL Spectacular New Venue for Buskers & Street Performers

The Riverside Arts Market is a huge all-weather outdoor riverfront festival marketplace held every Saturday 10:00 am to 4:00 pm, April to December, under the sheltering canopy of the Fuller Warren Bridge. Since opening April 4th, we have had tens of thousands of people every weekend. See website http://www.riversideartsmarket.com

Performers are unpaid but making good money from the hat. Must be registered to perform. Currently seeking clowns, jugglers, magicians, one-man bands, stilt walkers, baloonmen, human statues, break dancers, unicyclists, escape artists, contortionists, puppeteers, acrobalancers, animal acts, dancers, bagpipers, barbershop quartets, troubadours, unique musicians, and all sorts of novelty acts.

bretblackshear 06-16-09 09:31 PM

A good experience

For a first year event (starting up brand new this past April), this Riverside Arts Market seems pretty well run. It's extremely well run from a performer side. Wayne is top notch in his enthusiasm and is very accomodating. Interesting about this new venue is the decent crowd turnout versus the fact that it's location is not exactly in a touristy area (in fact not touristy at all). Other plusses are shade (it's under a large highway overpass, but not all that noisy), convenient parking, the opportunity to drive up to load in and out, nice vendors, nice people. I don't know personally how big the hats are for circle shows, but I did decent enough with my walk-by. And my wife, who is a harpist, sold a decent number of CD's.
I hope this event grows in popularity in the years to come. I'm going to be working the next few Saturdays there. If you're near the Jacksonville area, I highly recommend it.

FunnyMagicRic 06-29-09 02:01 PM

It really was a great experience

This was my first time at this event and my first time Busking ever. The event is really a nice event but, my busking skills really suk. HA. It's ok. We all have to learn somehow.

I did grow to appreciate those of you that actually, do know how to successfully busk and ask people for money. My hat is off to you.

There were really nice people there. The organizer is as pleasant and as accommodating as can be.

I would love to go back sometime.

Dallas the fire guy is my new hero

musicgrrl 07-01-09 09:24 PM

hey bret, thanks for the recommendation! one question: how long does it take to get a permit? all the best! misti (billy says hi!)

Daniel Mooncalf 08-05-09 02:39 AM

On my way to Key West, this winter, I thought I'd hang around JAX for a while. What is the busking scene like there?

SilverLady 08-06-09 05:40 PM

Jax under the bridge

I went over with a friend of mine...a living statue and face painter...The people are very freindly and generous....We had a very nice time....although, it was a long trip for us from clearwater to jacksonville....wish i could fly over.! :laugh: They organizer 'Doc' is very accommodating ...a real nice guy!

George Gilbert 08-06-09 07:33 PM

i'm going back to FL in november.. how can i register?

thanks !!

george

bretblackshear 08-11-09 11:18 PM

George,
Just go to the website at http://www.riversideartsmarket.com/ and click on entertainment and you will find contact info. Send them an email and a little descrip. about what you do and that should do it.

George Gilbert 10-06-09 01:45 AM

I had a great time, infact the RAM is my new favorit place in Florida.. I wish it was open longer! Thanks Wayne for making us feel so welcome!

probatuse 10-07-09 08:42 PM

I accept: The Riverside Arts Market is a huge all-weather outdoor riverfront festival marketplace held every Saturday 10:00 am to 4:00 pm, April to December, under the sheltering canopy of the Fuller Warren Bridge. Since opening April 4th, we have had tens of thousands of people every weekend.
Performers are unpaid but making good money from the hat. Must be registered to perform. Currently seeking clowns, jugglers, magicians, one-man bands, stilt walkers, baloonmen, human statues, break dancers

Kate Awesome 10-18-09 10:33 AM

I'll have the opportunity to go to Jacksonville every once in a while this winter (crazy, I know), would it be possible for me to register if I'm only coming down for an odd weekend here or there. It'd be fun to check it out.

Rocco Acrobat 01-05-10 01:10 PM

Jax

Kate, I'm sure that Wayne can find a spot for you on odd weekends. I'm pretty sure it's over for this year, but drop Wayne a line for next year. Let me know if I can help.

Really great people run this one. Seriously. Almost to the point of absurdity. If they were any more helpful, they would have had to do my show for me. I ended up going back for 3 different weekends.

It probably didn't hurt that it was directly on my tour route either. Good location.

Pizpor 01-07-10 10:11 PM

Hey Bret!!

HA! I recognized the hat!! Hope you're well. Chippewa Falls didn't happen last year but they seem to be getting organized for next year. Maybe we'll cross paths again!

Pizpor

Kate Awesome 01-12-10 11:25 AM

Sweet, thanks Rocco!
Dunno if I'll be near there next year, but it's nice to hear that a new pitch has opened up that's super awesome and well-run! I don't busk much in the states and would love to check it out when I get a chance!

martin ewen 01-12-10 11:59 PM

does it have anywhere with all three of these combined?
a corner
pedestrian traffic
an audience catchment area

jeep caillouet 01-13-10 08:43 PM

Martin it's on the river under a bridge right down town. It's probably ok to work there.I use to work there across the river on the river walk. Took me 30 days to make enough $$$$$ to make it to New Orleans. That was before them though.Oh and the cops were nice...

bretblackshear 01-18-10 01:13 PM

Martin,
The Market itself has limited amounts of each of the things you mention. With what you do, there is a circluar brick structure in the center on the "main entrance" aisle that could work. I worked performing as a silent, mask-wearing character doing sleight of hand magic. I also worked a day performing a circle magic show (non silent). I also worked a day performing walk-by close-up magic (non-silent)... The walk-by close-up magic (non silent) worked the best for me. The market is not in a touristy area, nor is it even close to the beach, nor in an area it seems, that is accustomed to street performing (which, given these circumstances, I was impressed by the number of people). I've seen Dallas draw pretty well on a busy day, and I've seen statues and balloon artists do pretty well, too.

MagicJay 02-08-11 07:28 PM

Question

I'll probably be there a couple of times this year. Do they allow live animal magic. Nothing big or flashy . Just a mouse. Anyone know for sure? :confused:

RiversideArtsMarkt 02-14-11 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicJay (Post 58495)
I'll probably be there a couple of times this year. Do they allow live animal magic. Nothing big or flashy . Just a mouse. Anyone know for sure? :confused:

Yes, definitely. Bring your rat or your elephant.
Apply here: http://www.riversideartsmarket.com/A...erformers.html
Photos:http://www.riversideartsmarket.com/roundhouse.html

Dallas 02-25-11 08:30 AM

An awesome event

Wayne is da bomb!! Hats are good, crowds are fantastic, Jax is a cool place with a cool scene and I've drivin' the 4 hours on numerous occassions just for the hat.
That's a hint people.....