performers.net forums

performers.net forums (http://www.performers.net/forums/index.php)
-   CLIENT/AGENT/AGENCY ISSUES (http://www.performers.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   "Do you offer an industry discount?" (http://www.performers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16455)

Isabella 11-26-09 11:11 AM

"Do you offer an industry discount?"

So I've now had two or three people ask, "Do you offer an industry discount to event planners"? and I've choked down my first response of, "Oh yeah, normally we do business with gravestone carvers and mechanical engineers, but you're in our INDUSTRY, why didn't you say so?" and instead stressed that our price is inclusive of insurance and travel, we provide many acts, etc, etc.

Does anyone else get this question a lot? Is there some question they are asking that's implied by this that I'm not getting? Because I'm kind of like, what do you mean, an industry discount? You asked for my price, and that's my price. If it's more than you can afford, see if you can provide something like travel, or let me know that we're out of your budget and I'll either wiggle if I want the gig or refer you to someone you can afford.

Your thoughts?

Stoned 11-27-09 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isabella (Post 55537)
You asked for my price, and that's my price. If it's more than you can afford, see if you can provide something like travel, or let me know that we're out of your budget and I'll either wiggle if I want the gig or refer you to someone you can afford.

Your thoughts?

I agree man fully

Kenny Ahern 11-27-09 04:25 PM

Event Planners

If I had a strong, honest working relationship with an event planner that booked me a lot of work, I would work with them ... to a point ... on price and trade.

However ... my experience has been that event planners will work you hard to lower your price and then buy/sell you as much as double ... or more ... your fee to a client. I even caught an event planner taking a percentage from me AND buy/selling me to a client.

I do agree to a buy/sell on occasion. Only when an agent or event planner is up front with me that they are doing a buy/sell and I get the fee and conditions I want.

-Kenny

Flyin' Bob 11-27-09 07:01 PM

I agree with Kenny.

This happened to me on corporate shows this winter. An agent got me three gigs; two good($) and one very good($$$). Then called with a fourth one for New Years that was about a third of my going rate. I said yes. It will be at a beautiful hotel in Banff National Park, fee, free food, a room for my wife and me, and a $200 gift certificate.

So it's based on a relationship that has already been established rather than a "promise of future work", which is a perfect set up for a "bait and switch"

Evan Young 11-28-09 09:44 AM

Restaurants/bars have service industry nights where you can go and get a discount if you work at one of the other restaurants in town. Doctors treat each other for free.... but unless the event planner is asking you to perform at their birthday party, then I don't get where they get off asking for an "industry discount"....... unless it's for a juggling festival or something. Doing favors for a frequent client is a different story, I wouldn't call it an industry discount.... and I would imagine it changes things a lot if you're a troupe.

Chance 11-28-09 10:29 PM

wrong context

The proper context for this request would be from one planner to another. Asking this of an entertainer shows extreme naivete on this person's part. Either they are very inexperienced or very unprofessional. Either way, it'd be enough for me to steer clear.

Evan Young 11-28-09 11:12 PM

Yep, Chance hit the nail on the head.