Thread: hiring help
View Single Post
Old 06-04-05, 01:18 PM   #1
caricatureguy

Default hiring help

This might be an odd scenario for most of you. I do caricatures in bars. A couple of years ago I taught a guy to do caricatures for tips in bars and set him up with places to go and everything. Presumably his responsibility for me helping him out was to help me advertise my caricature business. Once and a while he would get a name and a number for a gig at a private party or whatever and he was supposed to give that info to me. I would let him do the work or I would do it if he couldn't and he would get a commission, or I would depending. 25/75. Seems pretty fair. He quit his day job and worked full time with me. I still took care of all of the business end of things which was considerable and made arrangements with contacts. Most notably I made the contacts with the places he worked and told him how to handle things in great detail and personal coaching. We did many jobs together.

He sees what I do, then starts his own company about a year out. Since he is from there and I am not, he knows people who want to hire him for a job here and there. Sometimes I will have him work a job with me that I have gotten in a bar and he would claim to know the person and want a percentage. We ended up being good friends (despite the obnoxiousness of him having a business too) and ended up working it out that we each just keep the work we get and if we subcontract we pay 25/75 commish. Meanwhile we have a reliable second person for gigs (trust me, this is crucial) and we have double the exposure. Besides, I figure if you teach a guy to fish, he's going to fish.

A while later, I decided to add a third protege. Keep in mind that I wrote a complete 75 page handbook on how to make really good tips and coached her really well for a couple of weeks. This worked out well because we ended up being really well known and respected and got lots of work. Anyways, with the new girl, I asked her to pay me 10% of what she took in tips at the end of the weekend and she keeps her jobs the same way the other guy did. This worked for a while until she stopped paying.

I have since moved to another city, canned the girl and the other guy now has all of my business from the first city. I don't think that he has really used the contact list I gave him. Either that or they want me and not him, I don't know.... I have been doing some serious work to make what I do a career. I am about to embark on a business move that would improve my career (albeit speculation at this point) to about 15 times what I normally take in. The first protege wants in on it. He has been doing jobs for me where I am now since I have yet to find a reliable protege here even though it is 3 hours away. I think could use the work. He probably wouldn't do it on his own and there is more than enough work for him to be included, but I worry. I don't think it would be wise to include him now. Anybody have any suggestions?

I was thinking about asking him to pay me a fee up front like a franchise to help him 100% to get set up for the move but I know he has no money to do this, let alone make the move. I do the caricatures in 60 seconds. My expertise from working in bars has allowed me to do this. He is the second fastest caricature artist I know. We are probably the fastest caricature artists on at least the eastern coast of the US if not he world. I am going for a Guinness Record soon. He is the only person who can seriously back me in a job. He is a good friend and can handle the work. I want to help him, but...

Last edited by caricatureguy; 01-17-06 at 10:57 AM.
caricatureguy is offline   Reply With Quote