Thread: What to do?
View Single Post
Old 01-23-06, 11:18 PM   #7
Jim
Your Host

I have stuff stolen from me all the time. It hurts. Usually I can shrug it off if it's something minor, but there have been half a dozen pretty egregious thefts over the last few years that I've confronted with multiple emails.

You really don't want to get lawyers involved unless you have a lot of free time and wads of cash. The best thing is to apply pressure with emails and demand that they change their site. If it doesn't work and you need something more official, then you can try to get a simple cease and desist letter drafted, but that may open a can of worms.

There's also public shaming. I don't really recommend it, but you could always get every performer you know to email the guy and tell him to remove your content. Or maybe just a select few that are close to him... and hopefully someone respected in his field.

The thing is, these people KNOW what they're doing is wrong. It's plagiarism. But legal threats may not be as effective as simply pointing out that you know they stole your stuff and other people know it and it's really unprofessional. And word gets around in our small community and it will come back to haunt them someday.

Also, here is a fun tool:
http://www.copyscape.com/

Enter in the URL of one of your web pages and it will find other pages on the web it suspects may be plagiarising you.