View Single Post
Old 07-01-14, 01:01 AM   #7
Samora Squid

I have done street shows on several continents and bunch of countries in said continents over the last 11 years and I have to say that Vienna has the stupidist busking permit system in the world. Last Monday of every month, you have to be there before 12 at the office to get it and they give out limited numbers, so people are queing up from 6am, even though the office doesnt open until 7.30am. The actual license itself is two A4 sheets of paper, outlining a schedule that is randomly selected by the computer, telling you specific times and places you are allowed to perform that month....eg, Karlsplatz, 7th of July, between 1600 and 1800. I played their little game, I jumped through their hoops, I payed my 6 Euros and 84 cents (such a SPECIFIC amount) and it wasnt until I got home that I realised that it has someone else's name name on it. Also, in spite of them photocoying my ID, my photo doesnt actually appear on it, so even if it did have my name on it, I would need to carry aditional ID on me, as well as these two A4 pieces of paper on it, in order to prove that I had the legal right to work this particular pitch. I now have to go back there and ask whether it was only the name they fucked up or whether I now ahve the same schedule as someone else. Typical beurocrats that have never busked in their lives and are trying to organise buskers, thinking they know better. Such bullshit. Pay a busker, not a pen-pushing, number cruncher that has never left his office and only knows the busking sites by name and where they are on the map. Oh and forget about blades, fire or amplification. Not that I need those things to do a decent show, but that basically rules out every other street show from Australia...
Samora Squid is offline   Reply With Quote