View Single Post
Old 08-27-14, 11:29 AM   #1
harmonicakev

Default NYC subway busking

From the NY Times "Metropolitan Diary" from 8/25/14:

Dear Diary:
A New York City busker is the recipient of love, affection, cheers, kisses and souvenirs from around the world. Or, sometimes, a plaintive shrug when a commuter cannot locate a dollar. Once when I was singing in the subway, such a man walked away dejected, then came bounding back, beaming, proudly offering a fresh yellow apple from his groceries. Yes, the money makes a difference, but I’m thankful for it all.

Bills spend easily, but coins accumulate. On a recent night I sorted and rolled over a year’s worth. Among them were a British 50-pence coin, two 5-cent euros (Belgian and Italian), a French 2-euro coin, and a commemorative nickel with the inscription, “Ocean in view! O! The joy!”

I reflected on the many deeply-felt expressions shared by those who stop to thank me. The words and even glances are sometimes so touching I must hold back tears during my next song. Just days ago, on a long ride up an escalator at 42nd Street, I was quietly warming up my voice with these lyrics from “Grateful” by John Bucchino:

“I’ve got a roof over my head,
I’ve got a warm place to sleep,
Some nights I lie awake counting gifts,
Instead of counting sheep…

“Grateful, grateful, truly grateful I am.
Grateful, grateful, truly blessed and duly grateful.”

A woman about my age smiled at me as we reached the top. She was walking with a heavy black cane, and said: “I had a stroke three days ago. You’re right. God is so good to me.”

Tonight I will lie awake a bit longer and treasure her words, and Bucchino’s:

“It’s not that I don’t want a lot,
Or hope for more, or dream of more.
But giving thanks for what I’ve got
Makes me so much happier than keeping score.”

Or counting coins.

Here's the link: http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20.../?ref=nyregion

Ciao,
Kevin M.
www.singalongwithkevinm.com
harmonicakev is offline   Reply With Quote