View Single Post
Old 01-24-01, 01:30 PM   #17
Jim
Your Host

Piggy

I think my original gripe was with two or three specific festivals who are very established, very popular and very well funded...(a couple of them in the $100,000+ range) yet they do not pay any stipend and two of them do not even pay travel expenses. They continually get top name acts FOR FREE and profit heavily from them.

I understand that many acts starting out (like me just a few years ago) need a place to show their stuff and build a resume. I did it. I did it because I didn't know any better... and if I did know, I probably would have gone anyway for the experience.

I just think these producers know what they have and know there will always be lines of performers waiting for the chance to pay their own way to perform. It's not right. I wish we could all agree to DEMAND to be compensated for what we're worth. Or at least be treated professionally when we arrive (Thanks, Lynneski!)

Like Brian said, I do this because I LOVE it. It's too difficult and time consuming to only be partially invested in it. However, I have bills to pay like everyone else, so when I perform, I want to be compensated. And like Peter Voice said earlier, I'm finding the more I charge, the better I'm treated before, during and after a gig. It's amazing.

I think the point I'm trying to make is:
Don't work festivals for free. It diminishes what we do. If we all stood up and agreed to not work for free, they'd come up with the money.

(BTW, I'm not talking about pure busking... That's a different thing entirely. I love that I'm only paid by my audience when I do it. It's a self-contained, self fulfilling, self-regulated venture. I'm only ranting about 'Festival" busking.)