performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS... > PROMO STUFF (MARKETING, MEDIA, ETC.)

Old 11-26-12, 01:23 AM   #1
amazingarthur

Default Refining the promo reel....

Looking for any tips, advice, etc. This video is aimed for the corporate world. Be nice please. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDMg11xtIP4&feature=plcp
Old 11-26-12, 01:48 PM   #2
davidkaye

Hi Amazing Arthur,

I usually cringe when I look at someone's reel, but I think you've put together a GREAT reel! I lost a couple references, but that's okay. It's clear that the audience got everything. I wouldn't touch a thing except to add titles showing what you do (Comedy - Juggling - Magic) and where you do it (Fairs - Festivals - Corporate Events).

I notice you already have the AmazingArthur.com URL, so that's good. But I'd change the presentation on the web page -- I think it's WAY too busy and also the print is way too small and I've always hated gray type because it's least readable of all.

I go with the Google/Yahoo way of presentation: Make the content clear and bold, not artsy, because the idea is to get action, not win design awards.
davidkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-12, 07:46 PM   #3
amazingarthur

David,

Thanks for your review. I think it turned out fairly well. This video is aimed at the corporate market and specifically for agent use (I hope). You are correct, the website you landed on www.amazingarthur.com is a bit dated, still I like it. I refer most of my clients to www.professionalshowoff.com Not the greatest, but html5, and easy to navigate without any frills.
Old 11-28-12, 03:48 AM   #4
davidkaye

Yes, professionalshowoff.com is much much much better! The printing is clear and easy to read, the content is concise, and the navigation is simple.
Old 11-28-12, 12:44 PM   #5
theamazingarthur

Dave, Thanks for taking a look at it and giving your comments. I'm hoping that these tools lead to more of the type of bookings that I want.

I am a little dissapointed that I haven't had more feedback from other entertainers on the forums here.
Old 11-28-12, 01:19 PM   #6
davidkaye

I'm not sure why you're not pointing AmazingArthur to the ProfessionalShowoff content. I find that once you get a moniker it's important to go with it consistently. In one of my other worlds I am a freelance computer tech (virus, speeding up old computers, simple web pages, security cameras). I was originally "Affordable PC Housecalls", but one of my customers kept referring to me as "Honest Dave" and unbeknownst to me put up a Yelp page under Honest Dave. I didn't even know I was on Yelp until I got a phone call. I then began advertising in the phone book and elsewhere as Honest Dave and things began to take off. I noticed that I got almost double the new customers under Honest Dave than under Affordable. So, if you've got a moniker I'd suggest sticking with it.

As for participation, I think we need to spread the word here and there (such as on various places on Craigslist, etc) that this forum exists. Over the years participation has gone down, and we don't want to see that happen, do we?