Go Back   performers.net forums > THE GREEN ROOM > CURTAIN CALLS

Old 05-19-13, 06:51 AM   #1
gav

Default RIP performers.net

Looks like this place has finally died.
gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-13, 07:05 AM   #2
Lee Nelson

It is certainly looking that way. I can trace the moment back to when the South Western US performers got involved. They seem to lack a certain understanding of international performance and only seem to speak redneck. Its hard to contribute at the moment.
Lee Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-13, 07:43 AM   #3
Peter
Unused member

Looks that way to me too. All I've see is some guy bitching because he pissed off some other performers and the shut him up, now he's crying about it. I notified Jim and asked him to ban the silly shmuck but nothing. So it seems you're right, P net has imitated a frog and croaked. Sorry to see it go
Old 05-20-13, 03:52 PM   #4
Jim
Your Host

Butterfly

So... should I just delete everything? Are you guys done here?
Old 05-20-13, 04:00 PM   #5
Mr.Taxi Trix

Default Holding out hope.

I believe there is something here of value still. I don't want to cross my arms and dig in my heels and scream "noooooo" or anything, but, "NOOOOO!"
Mr.Taxi Trix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-13, 06:32 PM   #6
Gregory Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Taxi Trix View Post
I believe there is something here of value still. I don't want to cross my arms and dig in my heels and scream "noooooo" or anything, but, "NOOOOO!"
I am sure if all the members knew such an absurd post or
suggestion was made the would post overwhelmimgly in support.
Also I for one would pick up any work or tab that needs help,
I am not busy for the next few months..
Gregory Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-13, 04:19 PM   #7
Jim
Your Host

Butterfly

Peter, I can't ban someone for being a schmuck. If you don't like what someone is posting, don't read it and don't respond to it. That's the first rule of troll management.

As for the rest of the site, I have no control over the traffic here. I've been hosting the site since 1996 but there was never any business model and never any plan or expectations. I basically rented a warehouse and told the performing community to come hang out and shoot the shit. It was busy for a long time, but now people have other places to go to shoot the shit.

So, yeah. I'm honestly not sure what to do. Not too many performers come by these days... and I'm still paying the rent.
Old 05-20-13, 04:21 PM   #8
Jim
Your Host

(It's not about the money. I was just continuing the metaphor.)
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-13, 05:54 PM   #9
Gregory Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Peter, I can't ban someone for being a schmuck. If you don't like what someone is posting, don't read it and don't respond to it. That's the first rule of troll management.

As for the rest of the site, I have no control over the traffic here. I've been hosting the site since 1996 but there was never any business model and never any plan or expectations. I basically rented a warehouse and told the performing community to come hang out and shoot the shit. It was busy for a long time, but now people have other places to go to shoot the shit.

So, yeah. I'm honestly not sure what to do. Not too many performers come by these days... and I'm still paying the rent.
I think if you ban the schmucks, they can no longer reproduce....
Schmuck or shmuck in American English is a pejorative meaning one who is stupid or foolish; or an obnoxious, contemptible or detestable person. The word entered English from Yiddish, where it has similar pejorative meanings, but its original meaning in Yiddish is penis.[1][2] Because of its vulgarity,[3] the word is euphemized as schmoe, which was the source of Al Capp's cartoon strip creature the shmoo.[4] Variants include schmo and shmo.

In Jewish homes, the word was "regarded as so vulgar as to be taboo."[5] Lenny Bruce, a Jewish standup comedian, wrote that the use of the word during his performances in 1962 led to his arrest on the West Coast "by a Yiddish undercover agent who had been placed in the club several nights running to determine if [his] use of Yiddish terms was a cover for profanity."[6]

Etymology [edit]

The German word Schmuck means "jewelry, adornments";[7] the equivalent in Yiddish is schmock or shmock.[3] In German the pejorative "schmuck" would be Schmock, closer to the original Yiddish word. The transition of the word from meaning "jewel" to meaning "penis" is related to the description of a man's genitals as "the family jewels."[8]

The Online Etymology Dictionary derives it from Eastern Yiddish shmok, literally "penis," from Old Polish smok, "grass snake, dragon,"[9] but Leo Rosten cites Dr. Shlomo Noble of the YIVO Institute for Jewish Research as saying that shmok derives from shmuck and not the other way around.

I mean just look how confusing it would be!!!!!
Gregory Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-13, 07:45 AM   #10
Peter
Unused member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post

Thanks for responding Jim. I understand. Glad to see it is still here.
Old 09-12-13, 01:07 PM   #11
Evan Young

Send a message via AIM to Evan Young

I recently dug up an old thread on here and used it to build a new street amp, so that's cool.

ka-pow!
www.globalevan.com
www.showoffshow.com
www.evanshotme.com
Evan Young is offline   Reply With Quote