performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > BUSKING Q&A/GENERAL PERFORMING TOPICS

Old 06-09-06, 06:30 AM   #1
lucky_8

Default permits

I have a few questions about them.
1.how do i know if I need it or not
2.where can i get one
3.can I just go on performing without one until I getone if I need it.

I dought I need one in as little of a city as I am in but I think I might need to look in to it.
lucky_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-06, 09:36 AM   #2
lucky_8

im not going to street perform because i don't have any time but i would still like to know the answer to these questions in caase i do start performing
Old 06-09-06, 02:38 PM   #3
Peter
Unused member

Well Lucky_8, you ask a good question. Unfortunately no one knows where in the hell you are asking about. You don't say where you live.

However call the city offices and ask them. They will probably not know either but that way when you get stopped you can tell the cop that you asked and they said it was OK.

It is far easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission
Old 06-09-06, 02:55 PM   #4
lucky_8

im sorry i didn't say where i lived. i live in marion north carolina. it is a small town next to ashville nc.
Old 06-20-06, 01:35 PM   #5
MabJustMab

Send a message via Yahoo to MabJustMab

Hey lucky!

my friends who live in asheville area who busk tell me that they do not have permits. I have busked with them and we were never harrassed.

make of that info what you will. but really? if you want to know where to start, try calling your local police non-emergency line, and talk to an officer.

experience has shown that officers often do not know the law when it comes to busking (I totaly mean no disrespect to any law enforcement officials), but they will have a better idea where to look to find out.

calling them will show them that you are trying to be totaly legal. and hey, you might also meet some great folks on the force who could pull you out of pinch if it comes down to it.

make sure you write down the name of every officer you talk to, so when you talk to the next officer, you can say "Officer Superman suggested that you have all the answers" bla bla blah.

that's what I did when I was trying to find out about fire arts in my area. turns out, I didn't need a permit, and I'm totaly legal to practice in my back yard. the local fire station even expressed an interest in coming out to watch! (no free shows here buddy, nothing to see, keep moving....)

I have the Fire marshell's name, his deputy, the fire chief, and a few additional names of guys at the station. I'm totaly covered.

Good luck.
MabJustMab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-12, 07:05 PM   #6
circusboy90210

Piggy Permits??

what is a permit??you have first amendment rights and to expect to have a permit is placing extra burden of prood on one citizen over another just for using their rights more vocally than others. we need to sue any city that requires a permit to use your own god given rights.
circusboy90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-12, 03:41 PM   #7
Stoned
SideShow Performer

I'm from Maine, US. Augusta which is the capitol doesn't really have the foot traffic for busking. Old Orchard Beach, ME does. However I was stopped by one officer one time. Every other cop who saw me let me go on performing. But these officers who let me be didnt here my hat lines. When I started asking for my hat, that one cop told me I needed a permit to perform.

Would that be a city law, or county?
Traveling to another town or state to busk, then being told you need a permit. It's a risk, a risk of being broke and hungry.
Shlud always call a head I guess
Old 05-18-12, 03:55 PM   #8
circusboy90210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoned View Post
I'm from Maine, US. Augusta which is the capitol doesn't really have the foot traffic for busking. Old Orchard Beach, ME does. However I was stopped by one officer one time. Every other cop who saw me let me go on performing. But these officers who let me be didnt here my hat lines. When I started asking for my hat, that one cop told me I needed a permit to perform.

Would that be a city law, or county?
Traveling to another town or state to busk, then being told you need a permit. It's a risk, a risk of being broke and hungry.
Shlud always call a head I guess
that's why this place is here because not all municipality's even know if it's legal or not there, police just don't know what the law is in many places and just assume if your getting money it must be illegal & then chose to enforce some obscure panhandling statute as if you were begging for money, instead of providing pschic value to the community at large, which then rewards your efforts with pieces of paper or metal that tell you that everything is ok & you will eat well, & sleep in safety tonight if not in their homes.

if you do the right things you really only need to live in a city of 30k or more to survive, best thing is to couch surf your way to a larger city & stay there for the summer.

Last edited by circusboy90210; 05-18-12 at 03:57 PM.
Old 05-19-12, 02:41 PM   #9
davidkaye

Quote:
Originally Posted by circusboy90210 View Post
what is a permit??you have first amendment rights and to expect to have a permit is placing extra burden of prood on one citizen over another just for using their rights more vocally than others. we need to sue any city that requires a permit to use your own god given rights.
I agree that people need to go out and busk and the hell with permits! There are already, what, 4 or 5 Supreme Court rulings in our favor. As long as we don't sell products we're cool legally.

I remember wayyyy back when mime artist Robert Shields was arrested in San Francisco's Union Square for "miming without a license". The uproar from people was so intense that the city soon dropped the charges and never asked for licenses again...
davidkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-12, 11:04 PM   #10
circusboy90210

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidkaye View Post
I agree that people need to go out and busk and the hell with permits! There are already, what, 4 or 5 Supreme Court rulings in our favor. As long as we don't sell products we're cool legally.

I remember wayyyy back when mime artist Robert Shields was arrested in San Francisco's Union Square for "miming without a license". The uproar from people was so intense that the city soon dropped the charges and never asked for licenses again...
haha I got arrested for crashing an event I've crashed since it's first day 10 years ago. today they had me arrested. my dad''s seems to think that the people who saw me get arrested will never deal with me again. when in actuality people came to me while I was on the street 3 hours later. telling me how fucked the police are in this town & tipping me for doing next to nothing.
Old 05-20-12, 03:02 AM   #11
davidkaye

Well, crashing a private event it totally different from busking on the street or in other public places...
davidkaye is offline   Reply With Quote