performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > FOR SALE - WANTED > ITEMS WANTED

Old 04-18-01, 05:45 AM   #1
Eric

Question 6' Giraffe Unicycles

Hi, I'm looking for a 6' (or higher) giraffe unicycle and don't know what to buy. I have seen prices ranging from $170-450. I want a cheap one that won't fall apart in a year but I'm not ready to shell out 450. Anyone have any recomendations of what they use?
Thanks.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-01, 07:26 AM   #2
Steven Ragatz

Don't waste your money on cheap unis. Tom Miller at The Unicycle Factory builds very nice unicycles of all heights and configurations. I have four unicycles that I have purchased from him and a set of custom stilts that I had him fabricate for me. His work is very durable and has a good look. My unis are still in great shape after over ten years of use.

You can find Tom at:
http://wauug.erols.com/~bagleyd/unic...ory/index.html

Tom Miller
2711 North Apperson
Kokomo, IN 46901
USA
To order call: (765) 452-2692

Sem Abrams at Semcycle, http://www.semcycle.com builds some nice ones as well, though I haven't purchased anything from him.

I'm sure that both these guys ship over seas if needed.

Steven Ragatz

[This message has been edited by Steven Ragatz (edited 04-18-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Steven Ragatz (edited 04-18-2001).]
Steven Ragatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-01, 07:36 AM   #3
Freddy

Send a message via ICQ to Freddy
I bought a standard 6' Giraffe for around 300 canadian ( 200 us ) then cut it apart at the cross brace and added in a 24" section - making an 8 footer. - The extension cost just over $100 cnd. and can be removed.

The unicylce was not a name brand - in fact it had stickers on it from the bike shop where I bought it from - i'm sure is was a just a Taiwanese import. - Check around at a couple of bike shops and see if they can order one - I believe a brand name might be "cycle design".

One thing to point out - this is not the most durable or highest quality unicycle - and I wouldn't recomend it for heavy use - I have had to replace the upper post twice - as the factory one bent very quickly - but I am over 200 lbs also.

there is a picture on my web page
of the finished thing.
www.magicfreddy.com

I bought the unicycle from a place called Braun's - here is the link - this one is 5ft and priced at $185 US.

http://www.brauns.com/gc/gc_item.exe?F=D&K=U NIGIRRAFFE&V=Brief&R=H%2FCatalog%3ABike%20Stuff%3A Unicycles&ID=04180834242091831402063

Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by Freddy (edited 04-18-2001).]
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-01, 07:39 AM   #4
Prof Willie B

If you've got a $170 show, buy a $170 bike. If you got a $500 show...........
What price do you put on a broken leg?
Perhaps a well maintained/restored second hand $500 bike may be best.
Prof Willie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-01, 12:10 AM   #5
Jim
Your Host

Lightbulb

Find the money and buy good props at the beginning.

Would you rather save 50% on a prop only to have to buy it again the following year because the first one broke? Or would you rather invest more money into a prop that will last ten years?

I've bought enough props twice to know enough NOW to spend the money on the good stuff in the beginning.

Regarding Unicycles... I don't own a giraffe, but I know dozens of people with Tom Millers and have never heard of one breaking... ever.

On the other hand, I personally know two different people who have fallen off Semcycle Giraffes (and breaking their wrists) after the chain popped off (most likely from the frame flexing.)

Millers are RIGID. Sem's are rather flexy. For most people, Semcycle's are fine, but for serious riders and heavier riders, I'd go with nothing less than a Miller. Even Used Millers resell for nearly new prices because they're so well made.

That's my 2 cents from a NON-unicyclist.

Jim

P.S. I'd like to echo Steve Ragatz in the Giraffe Uni Thread in the Tools of the Trade Forum... I hate watching people clown around on Giraffe unicycles (riding into the crowd, climbing on volunteers when mounting, etc...) there are so many things that can go wrong with a Uni and so many ways to fall into the audience and seriously injure or kill someone.... Be FRIGGIN CAREFUL!!! I've heard the story about the finger in the sproket, too. Urgh.
Old 04-19-01, 01:47 AM   #6
Eric

Thanks for all the help everyone. Now, after choosing Tom's I have yet a second problem. I live in France and Tom doesn't have time for snail mail or E-mail (my prefered choice)
and I'm not ready to "phone home" ten times to learn his price is just a tad over my head. Does anyone know the price of the 5.5' or 6' (prefered)? Thanks again (alot! this has been the most helpful site yet!)
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-01, 07:38 AM   #7
Steven Ragatz

Eric,

Since you are in France, why don't you check out: http://www.unicycle.fr/one_en.htm. I have never worked with them, but they have a nice site and look as if they sell quality items. You might be able to pop over and test ride some. Consider the double chain model.

As for The Unicycle Factory, I'll try to remember to give Tom a ring this afternoon and see if he is still doing his thing. I'll ask him for an e-mail address and a price for the base model 5.5 giraffe uni.

Steven Ragatz

[This message has been edited by Steven Ragatz (edited 04-19-2001).]
Steven Ragatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-01, 10:45 AM   #8
jonnyflash
your private dancer

Unless you have a car or private helicopter,I'd advise you to think about
a giraffe that breaks down into sections
that will fit in your case/trunk.
(Using auto repair fibreglass on the inside of a crappy fibreboard trunk produces a cheap
and durable case).
My 4-section giraffe goes from 6' to 11.5'
and has 34.5 inch segments.I had it custom made from 1.5" chromoly and bought the
2 important sections first,then the 2 extension peices later,so it can be economically possible to go custom,bit by bit.Don't try to make one yourself,i tried
and my friend tried and we both failed.It's too risky to have a shoddy,bendy giraffe.

www.jonflash.com
jonnyflash is offline   Reply With Quote