performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > FESTIVAL DISCUSSIONS

Old 12-04-02, 07:34 AM   #61
Mr.Taxi Trix

We feed catfish as big as my arm in a temple with some food a monk gave me. They point us over to a baby bear in a cage. We walk over, and there is a monk with the little guy. They are clearly friends. The bear grabs his hand, pulls it to his mouth, and sucks the monk's finger. The monk allows this for awhile, and after showing me scars on his arm from where the bear has scratched him, and a nasty eye injury, invites me to play. I do. The bear cub is about up to my chest. Scared but curious, I reach out. He pulls at my hand, but his claws don't rip. I held his hand. For a good while. Jewels played with his foot. He lied on his back, sticking limbs though bars, liking us. Never in my life.

Today was also another parting. Acrodan and Erik went off to parts south to try to find Derek, and Mike Bangkoked his way home. Its down to me and the lady, and let me say this about that.

Jewels Rocks.

Today, she came up with the ultimate idea. We are three or four days from flying home, and its closing in on us. "Why don't we rent a motorcycle?" she shimmers, and its off to market for that. With the Finklini guiding us, we secure a Honda 750 Magna without so much as a business card for ID. I flow onto a sidestreet, swept into traffic as Jewels returns to Dick's for pants. I wheel by a cawing crow in a massive brass cage, and feel rather than see village life around me.

At Dick's, we fuel up with sugar, and get direction (down to "watch out for dogs on this stretch", which is accurate, as we later see zen dogs all over the place, as if summoned to bear him out on this)and float away from this little city and up to a mountaintop, overlooking Hua Hin, and beyond her, the ocean.

As we prepare to quit the bike, I am thinking of what a brilliant invention the motorcycle is, how I miss mine, and how I love motion on wheels. I am deeply grateful for the huge-brained lady behind me who came up with the idea to rent, and am ready to salute her intellect for the 4th time this day when, on her dismount (this after logging hundreds of bike hours) she gives herself the full-on, mercy-free inner leg pipe burn. The payoff comes when, after sunset and our feeble attemptss to cool the leg, she looks over at me quizzically, and asks, "Why do III... have to be the schmuck?" Affection grows on a Thailand mountain, and our laughter lingers.
Mr.Taxi Trix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-02, 06:17 AM   #62
Pyromancer

After a party somewhere on the beach, I wake up when a heshe taps my leg. Heshe looks female, but Heshe feels very, very male so I am not interested in hisher services and try to wave himher away. Heshe lays her hand on my leg and now I'm convinced, if I wasn't already. Only a man can lay his hand on your leg like this. I tell himher that I want to sleep, heshe doesn't move. Heshe is pissed off at me and the only way to get rid of himher is to go myself. So I do, back to party to have some more fun.

I'm on my way back home now. I had a holiday with a big capital "H". Not quite the spiritual experience I fantasized before I went to Kho Phangan, but it was the holiday I needed.

David Pyromancer, who relentlessly turned into a tourrorist for seven days.
Pyromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-02, 10:00 AM   #63
Pyromancer

Taxi, one question is bugging me and as I have four hours to kill in a dead sleepy town, I might just ask it now: what the hell did you do with your luggage? I felt like a complete moron while taking my humongous Samsonite suitcase to a backpack infested Island, so it's hard to imagine you taking all your gear, including some Thai made suits all the way down to the killing fields... There must be an easier solution, I reckon? Some luggage storage in Bangkok?

David Pyromancer - who survived lots of fire, a load of kerosene into the eyes but is now getting more or less worried about a tropical infection that hit him right on his right heel - exactly the point where the genital pressing points are located, as he learned during an extensive massage in Singapore. Sensitive stuff... man...
Old 12-05-02, 10:28 AM   #64
Mr.Taxi Trix

Yo Phil, thanks right back at ya, in more ways than one. How's the puppy?

Pyro, yes. We did store luggage in BKK. Thanks for posting that story, I've gotten some good laughs telling it, but that might have been because I was in a Thai home and told it straight from midships in the bathroom, walking out with a full face of shaving cream to lay it out.

Its the King's birthday today, and monks gathered this morning to pray in the streets, rows and rows of people watching and offering food. The king here is well loved, and universally liked.

We buy 4 boxes of the best handmade sweets from this old local woman. She makes them in the morning, right there at the market, and always sells out before five, starting work on the next days batch. I resist the urge to think in intrusive capitalist productivity creation, and smile, handing over my 100 bot.

We celebrate quietly, opting for lazy, sleepy time and Thai massage. It was funny hearing the tiny but strong woman who had the dubious task of doing me grunt and groan under the burden of it all. Done properly, Thai massage involves a fair deal of lifting and stretching, and when it comes down to it, especially from the average size here, I'm a handful. She was working, man.

Now its off to a late dinner, and more motorcycle. I fear the end is near, and I hear the distortion you spoke of, Tom. Sigh.
Old 12-06-02, 09:54 AM   #65
Pyromancer

Anger is not an emotion that deserves to be preserved...

[ 12-12-2002: Message edited by: Pyromancer ]</p>
Old 12-06-02, 11:01 AM   #66
Mr.Taxi Trix

Long day motorcycle joy.

We went south, to Pusharri Kua Kii, which I am dead certain to be spelling wrong. On the way, we got nabbed for no helmets in the city, and paid a ticket/bribe of 200 bot, or about five bucks US.

Highway, and quiet hills grow around us. We saw a fire on a mountain, and I thought I was in a Grateful Dead song. We made it into a small, wall-free roadside eatery just in time to watch a full-on thunderstorm from a warm dry table.

We get to the place, buying bannanas, and climb long stairs, meeting many monkeys, none of who are above nabbing a yellow grin off of us, and a few who actually plead their bannanaworthiness by clinging to our pants, a dubious honor, as we're both in light colors to fight the heat. Up to the temple, and its sky and city, and a 360 view. I love Thailand.

I kinda want to be a monkey. Which, come to think of it, presupposes that I'm not.

[ 12-06-2002: Message edited by: Mr.Taxi Trix ]</p>
Old 12-08-02, 05:59 AM   #67
Mr.Taxi Trix

Well, its almost last day, and Finkle comes over in the morning for a motorcycle ride. He leads me to a temple with a huge ass Buddah, many lesser dieties and, in the back, and elephant farm where we can overlook the care and feeding. He knows an amazing amount about these gentle giants, and we sit silent awhile.

Scoping how the other half live, we glide into an ultraposh country club, and have ice cream poolside. Being white and roughly presentable, we are served with deference: its just assumed we belong. Then its off to my favorite stop, a little community of cabins just off the ocean, where Dick explains how I can rent one for a month at a crazy low price. We do some math together, and I soon understand that, with an effort, I could seriously spend February here. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. But god, miss out on Girl Scout Cookie season? I take a photo for inspiration.

Jewels and I watch the sunset from an old old temple on a mountaintop, and have the whole place to ourselves except for the obligatory temple dogs, and a monk, who teaches two ladies down at the gate.

Late night its ocean walking and gathering shells for my new bathroom back home. We pick over a certain pile for about 20 minutes while a kid watches us quietly. After we leave, I learn what he was about. He swoops into the pile. He had been waiting for us to finish. This culture really works for me.
Old 12-08-02, 06:30 AM   #68
em

Oh god i'm jealous as i hoover up the crumbs in my rented house in urban bristol and shiver by the radiators....
em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-02, 01:33 AM   #69
Mr.Taxi Trix

Narita Airport, Tokyo. Popping Yen into a pixel purveyor.

Its over. I'm zombified.

Early morning found me up with the dawn and tearing through a paperback which belonged to the guesthouse but I was NOT gonna leave unfinished. Ocean waves and fresh-squeezed oj. Rice soup with prawns, served without attitude by the same pretty lady for the third morning running. I could get so used to it. This would serve no use, however, because today its Yank... back to your life, kid.

We say our goodbyes to Dick and Wan, and its up to Bangkok, where we linger at Kaosan road. Hikers mecca, traveller's bottleneck, hippy ghetto. Electric Trustafarian Homeland. Pierce palace mothership. Tattoo town. You get the point. We have 3 fake student and press pass ID's made for two bucks apiece. We are led through back alleys and up flights of poorly lit stairs to where sleaze meets efficiency in an illicit cd store of vast dimension. We buy and buy.

I know I'm getting the hang of it when I barter three or four times over a stack of books on Thailand and Thai, happily batting baht back and forth. I win the books and all the weight that that entails.

We meet Derek and Kelly, and find our evening's entertainment in Derek's response to the loud music at our restaurant. A baby elephant walks by, and takes a ten-gallon piss. Really.

Three am and its goodbye Jewels, and off to the flight. Its a goodbye of global dimensions: Sweden, New York. I miss my home, but I have so enjoyed my travel. My travel mate. The journey, but for the arduous travel and interior landscaping, is over.

I am very very happy. I am very very sad.

[ 12-09-2002: Message edited by: Mr.Taxi Trix ]</p>
Old 12-09-02, 07:53 AM   #70
Julia

So, I guess I am the one taking over, taxi is now on a 37-40hr flight to NY, me well this is how today went 9i have 10 minutes to write before my ride to the airport.

1. Waking up alone - not fun, almost unusual...
2. reakfast with Kelly and Derek, getting my head together.
3. tailor, shopping all that crap.
4. bump in to Eric go to see the largest reclining Buddha ever, i mean ythe dude is large, following that we discover a fairground, everything is te same appart from the colours and the food. Colors pastell green and pink. Food - well, alot of things we wouldn't really eat, bugs, lots of varieties.
great walk.
OHH and one more thing, Rumplestiltskin is alive! He made it back, bumped into him today - crikey!
5. farewell thai massage with kelly.
now off to the airport.

I would like to expres gratitude to first of all Kelly, who made it all possible, thanks Kelly...
Taxi, --- you rock, you know that (birdfish)
Cambodia crew - Eric for being funny, Collin for being quiet and humble, Phil for being a responcible leader [img]smile.gif[/img] , Dan for handstands, Mike for knowing everything about most things and Taxi well you know for being a great compannion.
Singapore you all know you rock!
i am off to sweden, its -10. then off to london for a couple of days.
Love to all
Jewels

www.nothingimpossible.net
Julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-02, 01:31 AM   #71
Mr.Taxi Trix

Sigh. I just re-read this thread, attempting to cultivate a strong finish for my comments on this Asiatic trip. Thanks, Jeff, for the two videos here. I love the one in the rainstorm with Hilby. Brendan, what about your skateboarding vid? That was pretty funny. You get the "best use of the editing button" award, by the way, for this one, which I just caught:

[quote]Originally posted by The Pretty Good:
<strong>Thats the Greatest! Best I have ever seen!

[ 12-06-2002: Message edited by: The Pretty Good ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't know if I've seen editing done to pisstake other posts contextually. New ground there. Clever lad. Say hi to Joan.

Three am Monday morning December 9 and its off to Kaosan road for my cab. I get smiled at (and partially devoured) by a woman who, with her lady companion, is, I believe, in the make guy feel good business. The street is still a bit of a bustle, food vendors still making sales, and cafe's still serving on the street. A man missing half his leg crutches by with an amp strapped to his belly and a woman walks behind him singing Kareoke mournfully. Even the dogs raise an eyebrow at this one. I catch myself searching for dwarves.

The driver takes my bags, and its off, through Bangkok streets. "Tuk Tuks", three-wheeled motorcycle cabs, cruise around us at the speed of light. Motorcycles pass them. Couples walk arm in arm. Doesn't anyone know the weekend is over?

Attempting to get my bags out of storage at the airport, I see I am out of baht, and sidle up to the ATM. It declines. So do three or four others. There's money in the account, but this just happens sometimes. But now I need money. I walk the mental cliff edge of action options, and finally recall some US bucks I have stashed from Motionfest Hookey shows, and exchange. Whew.

Bangkok Seattle Denver Chicago Hartford. (What, no Philly?) My bags are thoroughly searched, and I find myself oddly calm, even while at my wits end and tired beyond belief. Buddahist by osmosis, maybe.

Martin is on time at the airport, and my bags have hung in through the connections. He's had the truck a month, and, being of dubious liscence, has politely, lightly danced through the streets without so much as a single viol. I am pulled over within 20 minutes. Failed to stop, 50 in a 30. Grr. Copper vanishes with the liscence and reg as Mart and I align on how he was not driving when picking me up.

Here he comes.

"You still clean? Officer Laurento says hi." Jesus, that was seventeen years ago. He lets me off with a warning. I'm truly home.

Goodbye, Jewels. Kelly. Derek, Dick and Wan. Phil, Colin, Erik, Dan. Rumple. You've made my trip; our laughter stays with me.

Whoo. My cat Skyler doesn't think I'm petting him nearly as much as a month away would warrent. My daughter is glad to see me, and needs laundry done.

Sigh. I can do this.

[ 12-11-2002: Message edited by: Mr.Taxi Trix ]</p>
Old 12-13-02, 12:16 PM   #72
mommaK

Alas, I am back in the office...it's Friday Dec.13. Plowing through my mountains of emails and mail that has piled up on my desk. Sorting through some pictures from Singapore and Thailand...my heart sighs.
I didn't have a chance to read through all of the posts while Derek and I were on the island, now after reading them all it's brought back some wonderful memories...
To all of my Singapore performers, thank you...I couldn't have had a better team.
Thank you to those who managed to make it through the parties in Rm.940 - thank you to Derek who offered up my room as Party Central. Thank you to William for bringing my favorite vodka and Rob for replenishing my depleated gin. Peter, I love Elvis and even though I didn't make it to the after party in your room - no matter what anyone says, you are still a wonderful performer. Thanks to Thom for topping up my Pez supply and those crazy Germans for bringing me my favorite gummie bears! Thanks to the Acros for giving me more photos of Brett's butt for my wall and for celebrating our 2 years anniversary, Thanks to Aidan for the Singlish jokes, Thanks to Tim for the wonderful massage and listening ears, Thanks to Al for being my official picture taker at the parties and not buzzing Derek's hair before Thailand, Thanks to Brendan for teaching me some skateboarding(say hi to Joan!)and I think you are more than pretty good, Thanks to Carlos for the music and teaching me the proper way to do a kiss-greeting, Thanks to Daniel for being a wonderful shopping partner in Bugis, Thanks to Senji and Senmaru for the japanese heavy metal, Thanks to Hilby for giving Derek the liederhosen and for being you, Thanks to Eric and Derek for all that you are, Thanks to Jeff Hill for making sure that everyone knew he had hair from the 80's and not the 70's, Thanks to Jewels for letting me touch her tongue, Thanks to John and Rebecca for teaching me some yo-yo tricks, Thanks to Karl for being my supporter for everything, Thanks to Nathalie and Catherine for the colour they bring into my life, Thanks to Lucky for your patience, Thanks to my William...for your friendship, Thanks to Mike Wood - I don't know what for because he really sucks...NO! You EAT IT!, Thanks to Matty, Stu, and Chris..for making me feel like part of their tribe, Thanks to Mike and Mike thos crazy Germans - who else would carry a six-pack of beer with them into a club and say that it was part of their props?, Thanks to Peter - you aren't so green after all, Thanks to Kim, my little Billy Crystal, Thanks to David...I would have let you not wear pants to ZOUK, Thanks to the beautiful Miss Ranie...I swear you will never have to listen to show tunes again!, Thanks to Jeff(Scot Free)..for also teaching me some skateboarding and for being a great listener (I think the hotel still has some engine oil left over), Thanks to my lovely Tamara...you are my sunshine, Thanks to my beloved Phil and Colin..we finally got to eat brekkie with the orangutans! and celebrate where we first met, Thanks to Thom for keeping me laughing and sending dirty jokes to me even when I was sitting next to him on the computer, Thanks to Rob - loving, licking, and swellings, and Thanks to Martin and John....John, I guess no one got their $50?

Thailand companions....firstly Derek...for being you, Eric,Karl, Jewels,Dan, Phil, Colin, and Mike....thanks for fun times. Somethings you will never forget.....
mommaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-02, 10:25 PM   #73
The Pretty Good

Send a message via AIM to The Pretty Good

[ 11-07-2003: Message edited by: The Pretty Good ]</p>