performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > BUSKING Q&A/GENERAL PERFORMING TOPICS

Old 01-05-01, 02:48 PM   #21
Todd

Piggy

Brian of all the gum chewing jugglers I know, you are the best.

Personally I enjoy being in a duo, rather than playing alone. For all the reasons Brian brought up (the best being havin access to the classic Number1/number2 clown bits. Every good team is a number1 or 2)but also, you can really go out there an explore weirder elements of character. As the number 2 in the show, I can really go wierd places in the character, because I've got my partner anchoring the show and the audience. I dont think I would have the guts to "go out there" theatrically as a solo. I've got the anchor of a partner that will allow me to take big character risks (like dealing with distractions, following people to the bathroom and interveiwing them on my wireless, telling kids I'm using fumes in the fire eating, you know fumes the wavy lines you see when your parents are pumping gas or when you are sniffing gas). I can take the risk and find out if these new "character choices" work without jepordising the show too much. If they work cool, if they dont,well then its just getting back on track in the show and not having to win over the audience again.
Its fun to see the "everyman" performer, the guy we all can relate to or want to party with, but I think that with commitment, we on the street and at festivals can make any character choice work as long as the "commitment" is there. Los Payasos is a great example of outragous "larger than life" characters who work for an audience. Flaming Idoits. Gazzo is a great example of someone whos so risky and makes it work most of the time but he is a solo with big balls. If you are big balls impared but want to risk,in a duo or team, you can take leaps into that 'odd character commitment' world with confidence that the show will still function even if you fall flat, because one of you will be there to get things back on track.
But remember to listen to the audience, they can teach you so much about being on the right track.
Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-01, 08:42 AM   #22
Brian Wilson

Send a message via ICQ to Brian Wilson
Ass

Alright. I've just spent the entire weekend riffing (adlibbing, goofing off) with a friend from Montreal. Writing jokes alone is tricky, and tough. Writing jokes/material in a group setting is fairly easy because you can always rely on CLOWNISTRY (chemistry between clowns.) So my advice to anyone who wants to write new jokes is submerse yourself in funny people, go to amateur night, hang, meet other comics and observe. Then try and figure out where you fit into the whole picture...