performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > BUSKING Q&A/GENERAL PERFORMING TOPICS

Old 05-16-01, 01:41 PM   #1
StarPixy

Send a message via AIM to StarPixy
Question How do you get a license?

I'm thinking of going to NY next year, and I was wondering how to got about getting a license to perform in the streets.
Old 05-16-01, 04:17 PM   #2
Pokie-Poke

Thumbs down

You don't want to know
the spechal events permet thay are selling to performers are for three spots in central park two in queens some where and one in battery park. thay at first told me that I did not need one as I was from out of town then I nearly got arested. And I know of one juggler who was areested cos' the cop said his permit was fake! it was sevral weeks befor he got his stuff back and by that time his permet expired.
Thay now want $25. non refundable fee, and then tell you where and when you can perform. and this permet is now only good for one day a week for three weeks.
there are a lot of street performers in ny
last week I saw the tick and tock all stars, master lee, Thoth, flute man, Dave(juggler) some other breack dance trupe,
some loony with wooden swords,me, squishy squishie, a human statue who would do balloon anamals , abraham(another juggler) and others that slip my mind at this moment.
it is said that you are starting this now, I started when Ed Koch was mayer. but we will soon be rid of the curent jackass and things will be looking up for NY.
Oh by the way guss how many of the above had the proper paper work? he he he.;}
Oh btw fire WILL GET YOU BUSTED!!

------------------
The adventure cont...
Old 05-17-01, 08:02 PM   #3
StarPixy

Question

Wow! Never knew they were so strict up there.Thanx for your input, Pokie-Poke! (such an adorable name! )
So, anyone know where I'm supposed to go to at least attempt to get one?Should I even try?
Old 05-31-01, 01:03 AM   #4
Pokie-Poke

I think the persons name is heidi ???
the number is (212)408-0112
see how far you can get with her, as she feels it is important to limit "THOSE PEOPLE" as mutch as posible. "The park is crawling with jugglers"
thay dont do any thing about the drug dealers but you pas the hat and look out!
You can try for a permit but if that dosent work.... make shure you have out of state I.D. and look pathetic, that is what I did and I grew up there
what do you do, it makes a difrince.

oh and thanks about the name

------------------
The adventure cont...
Old 06-06-01, 09:16 AM   #5
StarPixy

Butterfly

I play the Irish tin whistle, I'm learning to be a live art character, and on occassion, I dress up as a cop character (A character my mom made up."He" wears a keystone cop uniform and talks like Get Smart.He goes around "inforcing the law" which means he pretty much acts like the over enthusiastic Barney Fife. I bet the real NYC cops'll luuuv that one.)That's pretty much the only acts I got so far. Do you think they'll be nicer to me up there if I forgo passing around the hat? I think that's the REAL reason they don't like us. They love to watch the show, but when the time comes to ask for a donation, they amscray.They don't want to give you money,but they don't want you to realize how stingy they really are. So to aviod exposing their oh-so-generous nature, they simply ban us from the whole city! lol
Old 06-11-01, 07:50 PM   #6
Pokie-Poke

Clown

Musicians get hasseld less than a circle show, drawing a crowd is the trick, obstructing pedestran trafic. you also cant ask for money as that is ether panhandling or vending without a permet. both are illeagle.
there is a program for music under the streets. in the subway, some good acustics, and a captive audance .
If you do the cop bit I would love to see that one in washington sq.park You will more than likly get busted but wow would that be funny. Washington sq. park is trial by fire without the fear of the cops, it is a hard crowd but there is money to be made there, but you beter be damd good first.
What is a "live art charcter"
Old 06-11-01, 07:58 PM   #7
Pokie-Poke

Oh btw. New Yorkers are prity free with the cash, and better than 1/2 the crowd are from out of town with disposable cash, vacation tourists and the like