performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > SPECIFIC PITCHES/CITIES/COUNTRIES

Old 04-01-04, 04:12 PM   #21
Butterfly Man
Refurbished Member

Japan

Sanbon no Ya

Once upon a time in ancient feudal Japan there was a famous daimyo named Motonari Mothouri who had three sons. He was very frail and knew that his death was near. After his death, Motonari Mothouri knew his sons would probably decide to go their separate ways. He knew that one of his sons, named Magimoche, loved the beautiful mountains near Brookoma. Another son, named Juggjoshi had always spoken of the gorgeous rivers surrounding Mattahatanna. He knew, however, that his third and eldest son, named Jimshowagawa, would be the smart one and remain home to eventually replace him as head of the Mothouri estates.

Before they left for their respective journeys, the decrepit father gathered all three of his sons together and handed each one of them an arrow. “Break this”, said Mothouri. All three sons easily broke the single arrow with one snap. Then Mothouri handed each one of his sons a bundle of three arrows. Again, crippled, old Mothouri said, “Break this”. But no matter how hard each one of his sons tried, no one of them was able to break all three arrows at once.

Then the ancient and pathetic Mothouri said to them, “Each of you represents a single arrow. No matter how difficult the problem of downsizing you face, no matter how seemingly impossible the task of coming up with five hundred koban, no matter how much you might despair when confronted with insurmountable autocratic adversity, you will always have your brothers.”

The frail and feeble old man then added, “If you act alone, you can easily be defeated. But, if you stick together you will become strong and you will eventually succeed at whatever it is that you desire or like me, you will die a slow and painful death on Veniciku Beach.

This is the famous teaching of the three arrows.
Old 04-10-04, 10:26 AM   #22
jugglerjosh
Mr. Josh Weiner

Default South Street Seaport

To Whom it May Concern,

I spoke with Andrea Friedland at the South Street Seaport who has told me that management has agreed to drop the $500 fee.

Additionally, the South Street Seaport is going have a Street Performing Festival this August for the program.

Thanks to all who have voiced their concerns and support for the performers here in New York City.

Best Regards, Josh
jugglerjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-04, 10:38 AM   #23
jugglerjosh
Mr. Josh Weiner

Default The Support Petition

Please read and support this cause with a signature at the bottom of this letter:

To The South Street Seaport Administration,

We are writing this letter felt to voice our concerns regarding the recent policy changes that are being considered to with the South Street Seaport Street Performing Program.

To begin with, the Seaport Management had no meeting with the street performers in the program before sending out the letter requesting this unprecedented fee. The performers had to individually respond to the request, and many who cannot afford the fee were unable to do so. We respectfully consider ourselves part of the South Street Seaport organization and many of us care about its well-being, and therefore feel it appropriate to have a meeting of all concerned when issues of major importance are being considered. The initial March 15th fee deadline has been extended, due to communications and meetings from performers in the program and due to support pro bono by the AFL-CIO Local 802.

We feel that the $500 requested fee is inappropriate. No such policy exists at any other street performing program in the country. It would set a precedent for the Rouse corporation, and the program, that has been highlighted in South Street Seaport Advertising as being the premier acts in the country, would be asking the performers to pay in order to pass the hat. This precedent would then allow implementation in other cities. The Rouse Corporation benefits greatly from the free performances given by all variety of buskers which contribute to the vitality of the marketplace and Seaport experience.

Many well known variety acts began their career as Street Performers, which is one of the Hallmarks of a Free Society. It is a tradition in the United States that dates to colonial times, and in recorded history
throughout the world. Many great performers began their careers on the street, and certainly quite a few were not very good when they started. For some it has been a place to develop their act, and for others it is their way of life by choice. We hope that the Seaport remains the supportive atmosphere which allows performers to grow.

We urge you to drop the requested fee and allow the program to continue as it has been since it's inception at the South Street Seaport.

Signed,

Josh Weiner, Seaport Performer
Jeff Mosche, Seaport Performer
Steven Maginnis, Supporter
Ray Hoffman, Former Seaport Performer
Hal Weiner, Attorney, Photographer
Carol Miyamoto, Retired Teacher
Anthony Francis, The Hermitage of St. John of the Cross
Jennifer Dinoia, Performer
Joe Castine, Seaport Performer
Dorothea Murray, Lincoln University, Supporter
Carol Drazen, Supporter
Irina Filatova, Seaport Performer
Mega Flash, Seaport Performer
Emily Eng, Principal, Transfiguration Kindergarten Church
Andy Eisner, Attorney
Tylerfyre, Performer
Cindy Marvell, Lazer Vaudeville, Performer

* We would like to acknowledge Stephen Baird of Community Arts Advocates, AFLCIO Local 802, and Music Under New York for their support and efforts on our behalf.
Old 04-12-04, 01:24 PM   #24
Funny Lady Las Veg

Default Rouse Schmouse !!! A message from Honeybunch

I am new here, but not to ROuse. i have a 21 year history with them and they trip me out !!! I also perform as Honeybunch the Clown. I don;t even kow where to start with this ... my battles with them are so long and so annoying ! I have worked at 4 of their properties. On of them for almost a year every week four days running for pay. That deal was the biggest, most unethical thing i have ever experienced as an entertainer, but I was very green then and didn't know any better. The story is WAY too long. But trust me, it was bad. AS a street performer, I worked at Underground Atlanta, from it's inception, for about 2 years. I didn;t know Rouse then, and the way things were going, you'd have that thought this place was trying to work out bugs of a new business. The only valid question we had as street performers was a legal issue with the city, where they were trying to make us licensed. That failed. But th way we were handled, or mishandled by mgmt was excuseless !!!! Lord, for all the crp they put us thru !!! One day they just walked in and put us all out. Don;t reallyknow why, except thy had pissed off all the vendors with the balloon people and tarot card readers. We got back in after some discussion, but it was always a fight. They caused major in-fighting between performers because of a poorly handled scheduling system, that was easily rectifiable, but they rejected our input and suggestions, lest the lunarics begin running the asylum ! This is very important for you all to note, charging for performing IS NOT new, with Rouse. It was tried and done at Underground. I don't know all the specifics, and one of their malls. I know someone personally, who paid the damned fee. I am going to try contacting them today and find out the deals on it for you all. If you think their handling of us is rotten, try being a vendor. I ave a personal connection to oneat Underground, to whom sell jewelry that I hand make. i have been a craftsperson for years and one of the kiosk carts at Underground sells my stuff. Don't feel like the lone ranger, folks, Rouse is Rouse. When I worked at one of their malls, I was completely ill treated by mgmt. withso many games and unethical ractices, that you;d think i'd learn to avoid them. Well, I do have one "in" to them, a mgr., I have worked with at all the properties. Privately he sides with perfromers but wears a "game face" as a company man ! There was a mall I couldn;t get in to here as a performer, I didn't know it was Rouse affiliated. It doesn't show the Rouse name on the mgmt ofc door and I didn;t check it out before I pitched them. Like a dumbell. I went right in there and promoted myself, only to get a NASTY email from some heifer in their organization ! Bottom line with Rouse is money, real revenue. They don;t see the value in promotions, per se, and they don't see people, not even shoppers or clients, just how much money every thing is worth. Dollar signs, and nothing else. They care only so far as if they can get sued over something and if there is one more nickel they can get. I feel so bad for everyone at Seaport. I know this isn't going to end well. I just have a feeling they won't let it go. When I was at Underground, one of the managers said in a meeting once that the performers made too much money and that the street performer's program was really only for people "like us" to make "extra" money. It was never intended to be a substansial income or support us totally. Extra over what ... eating ad living indoors ? This isn't a vanity job for me, meaning I do not do this to attract attention to a nacissistic me, I do it to live. So why did you attract us to the venue, if not to work ? And then when we all were going out to work at other places, threaten to ban us off the property if we didn't support them. And so many other games. I wil heck in to this pay for space thing oday ad if and when I get answers i will send them along. Honeybunch aka Funny Lady Las Vegas
Funny Lady Las Veg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-04, 04:29 PM   #25
jugglerjosh
Mr. Josh Weiner

Default And so it goes...

Dear Friends,

The South Street Seaport had dropped the $500 fee requested by the performers.

Additionally there will be a Street Festival in August.

The other news is that of "streamlining" the program to 25 people this year, which is half of what it has been in previous years.

This is something I was concerned about, especially for the face painters and balloon artists who are in competition with the vendors on the pier who pay rent for their carts.

Has this happened in other cities?

Best Regards, Josh
Old 04-12-04, 06:35 PM   #26
Funny Lady Las Veg

Default More Rouse

Ditto, buddy ... same stuff at all the properties I've worked at. At Underground, there were a variety of games to cull the pack of us. And they seriously limited our time and there were the problems with vendors, exactly like I have read up here. One particular manager was particularly rude and nasty. The worse thing they ever did was to make it so we had to go in on Monday morning and sign the schedule book, and it was first come first served. We were arriving at 7am to wait for the office to open, so we could get in to do it early and get a spot. Without warning, we were informed, after we had been going early for 3 months, that we were tresspassing, and if we didn't leave we would be arrested. We protested and wereassured delaing leaving would get us put in jail. We did leave, and the security guard helped us out, by showing us where we could wait out of eyeshot if the cameras on the property. 5 minutes before the office opened, he came and got us and we were still first. They could have issued a memo telling us not to be on the property until right before the office opened. After that we would wait just outside and sprint to the schedule book. They had every one of us at each other's throats. They finally figured out a system, but by the time they did, they had made us all bad friends. Personally, if it was the only place to work or the only game in town, I'd find something else. I don't know how you stand it. Honeybunch
Old 04-12-04, 07:23 PM   #27
jugglerjosh
Mr. Josh Weiner

Default South Street Seaport Streamlining

Dear Funny Lady Las Veg,

It's good that it worked out in the end in Las Vegas.

The South Street Seaport is by audition and then scheduling by the performers is requested each month. There are scheduled spots and times for each performer.

Is there a reduction of the number of performers, a streamlining, of the buskers in other cities?

Best Regards, Josh
Old 04-12-04, 08:29 PM   #28
Funny Lady Las Veg

Default More Rouse

Underground was by auditiion and there was a schedule request plan, but we had to bid and no guarantees. Pretty much the same as Seaport. Last time I spoke to anyone who works there at Underground Atlanta, it was same stuff, different day. I am laughing as I right this part, they pretty mch held auditions to make sure you didn't have lice. They allowed people access, who didn;t need to be there ! And they strongly wanted to ditch the saw player ... quaint old man about 80, played the saw. I don't remember his name anymore, but when ( And I am still ROTFLMAO ) we started having trouble ith the vendors, it was almost like providence stepping in to show 'em ! Lord that man was noisy, He could even play Stairway To Heaven and Free Bird and as that was back in the day, it would absolutely rain money on him ! Gee, if i close my eyes, I can almost hear him ! He had a tape he sold so you could annoy your friends. He was a nutty old dude and he loved coming down to play with us. I know he was still there when I left to come and live in Las Vegas, but he surely is deceased now. Just the thought of the vendors being cruel to the performers, being paid back by him makes me giggle. Mgmt just let him rock ! I am chuckling fondly at the thought ... You think they were trying to get rid of some of the vendors ? Giggle giggle hee hee hee ! Honeybunch
Old 04-12-04, 10:42 PM   #29
Stretch

I'd buy the tape! What a hoot!

http://www.stiltwalker.com/

http://www.bubbletower.com/

http://www.youtube.com/stiltpro

http://stiltpro.blogspot.com/
Stretch is offline   Reply With Quote