performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > SPECIFIC PITCHES/CITIES/COUNTRIES

Old 07-11-04, 01:47 PM   #1
Byron Bertram

Canada Amsteram rules?

I heard that you need a European Passport to be able to work in Amsterdam or at least Leidseplein Square? Is that true? I hope not, I'd really like to go there for a week in the next couple of days if possible. Any other details would be much appreciated (draw time, cheap accomdation, etc)

Thanks

Byron
Old 07-11-04, 06:43 PM   #2
nick nickolas

Default Comedy cafe

Byron...not sure how the street thing is there...but the comedy thing is good...Go to the comedy cafe next to the hard rock cafe...have a chat to them you should be able to get a spot or two..

cheers Nick
p.s. there is hail the size of marbles and a tornado warning here in Edmonton...
Old 07-15-04, 02:16 PM   #3
racketsandglass

Default No performing for non EU members

We were just in Amsterdam in late May. It's true about the permits, they won't grant them to non-EU members. Granted, we never actually walked to the permit office to confirm this, it was just the buzz on the street from other performers. Though more information can be found at http://www.superfrank.com/

We worked there for 10 days or so before we were stopped by police and told we couldn't perform without the permit. We ended up doing one more show that night but then left the next day.

As to the general pitch situation, the Leidseplein has a lottery draw at the beginning of the day if it's busy, though this only came into play on one Saturday when we were there. Though as to whether things have gotten more crowded now that tourist season is picking up, I can't say.

For accomodations, my wife and I stayed at the Flying Pig Palace (www.flyingpig.com), which is pretty near the Leidseplein. But we were willing to tolerate the frat party atmosphere of the dorms. I don't know what factors you consider for suitable lodging.

Hope this helps! We have found that many performers are pretty tight lipped when it comes to pitch information, we obviously believe differently. If this is of benefit to anyone, please remember to pay it forward. We're all in this together.....

Silas Knight and Jana Dae
Dae and Knight Acrobatics
www.circusacrobats.com
racketsandglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-04, 07:56 AM   #4
SuperFrank

Byron,

Non-EU performers don't get a license anymore (new rule this year).

We are busy fighting this - and more, see other thread in this same section (Amsterdam street performers protest against city council - 08-05-04) and our web site www.straattheater.info

You *could* just perform without a license. Apparently police is not too rough at this time, but they do come around and check sometimes, I think mostly because of the high concentration of breakdance crews performing on leidseplein with (too loud?) music.

Police will basically just stop your show, not confiscate your stuff or fine you. I don't dare to advice you in this, but I would say risk is 'bearable'.

Lotery (draw) times are at 6pm, and for daytime pitches also at 1pm. As long as you respect the pitch ;-) we don't care if you are licensed or not.

Available pitch time is one show of say 45 min. maximum. Off-times, when crowd drawing is a bitch, you can take a bit longer.

SuperFrank

Last edited by SuperFrank; 08-07-04 at 04:43 AM.
SuperFrank is offline   Reply With Quote