performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > BUSKING Q&A/GENERAL PERFORMING TOPICS

Old 08-11-04, 03:43 AM   #21
mcstone71

Default The context

I'm just having trouble adjusting to this whole street performing thing. I performed restaurant magic for years, quit and got a "real" job, spent three years bored out of my mind, and I'm just getting back into the swing of things again. It's amazing how much like riding a bike it is re-learning all my old routines. But don't ever try it. So far I've only managed to relearn the stongest ten, so I've been KILLING at the restaurant. But the tricks play small, some of my stongest routines you really have to be right up on them to see and I'm not used to hyping them up, i.e. making a big deal of it when I choose a vollunteer (at the restaurant, its as simple as: take a card please). Gee, maybe street performance actually requires PRACTICE and REHEARSAL to get good at it.

How to handle cell phones is a mystery to me, because if I turned off a customers cell phone at the restaurant, that would be my last night. After all, I'm approaching THEIR space in a restaurant. In fact, just tonite, two cell phones went off while I was performing table magic: I ignored it and they were on just long enough to tell the guy to call back later. Seemed to work fine for me.

Anyway, Eugene Burger has been a HUGE influence on me. If you're not familiar with him, go check out magicbeard.com. Eric, alot of what you say squares with his philosophy. "Got a problem with your act? Try THINKING about it for YOURSELF for a change!!" (maybe this is just the philosophy of common sense) And honestly, I don't think I gave the matter five minutes contemplation before logging on to the internet so I could ask a bunch of complete and utter strangers their opinion. So yeah, I asked for it.

Mick
mcstone71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-04, 03:45 AM   #22
Doctor Eric

Default Alright, alright...

Don't ever tell me I was right, it only encourages me, and don't defend yourself, if any of us mattered, do you think we'd have the time to wank all over our keyboards in this digital slum? No offense, Jim.

!?www.ericcash.com?!

Last edited by Doctor Eric; 08-11-04 at 03:48 AM.
Doctor Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-04, 03:47 AM   #23
mcstone71

Default ??

OK walk me through this: how do we IM on p.net?
Old 08-11-04, 03:49 AM   #24
Doctor Eric

It's private, not instant, it's like email, but slightly less annoying, there is a pm button underneath every post on pnet

!?www.ericcash.com?!
Old 08-11-04, 04:00 AM   #25
Doctor Eric

AAAHHH... You're not street performing, you're doing restaraunt magic, here's how you do it, put on some blackface, and every time someone answers their phone, scream "No, don' cawl the massa on me, DON' CAWL THE MASSA!"

Or, get a job at a restaurant where they cut off your !@#?in' hands for talking on the phone. I don't know where a place like this is, but if you find one and tell me, I'll eat there EVERY !@#?in' DAY.

!?www.ericcash.com?!
Old 08-11-04, 04:16 AM   #26
mcstone71

Noooo, I AM street performing, too. But I'm making the transition from restaurant magic. I've noticed that magician's who can entertain a hundred people at once tend to do better financially than close up magicians who can entertain a dozen or so.

I like the black face idea. But I don't know how it would go over in Atlanta. Actually, that's not true. I know EXACTLY how it would go over in Atlanta.

Mick