performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS... > PROMO STUFF (MARKETING, MEDIA, ETC.)

Old 08-30-04, 02:44 PM   #21
Tyler

Thanks for the help. Dr Eric, that thing about me knowing more then you at 18, I'll take that as a compliment.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-04, 02:44 PM   #22
Doctor Eric

It's a good idea not to take an agents advice on web design, I have yet to see an agency's site that doesn't look like crap. I think your colors issue could be solved by with style-sheets, use one with the colors you need for layout, and then have a friend help you pick out a three color scheme that is pleasing, and helps to convey the "woofnah-ness", and make that the public style-sheet. Any colors will go with light grey, they just need to have the same chroma value. Which I think makes what I just said necessary, because all the colors that will match your background will probably just blend right into it to you (which will read as pleasing to folks with "normal" vision, I'm assuming you need things to be pretty jarring to see them) another option is black and white with a couple of splashes of color here and there.
Choose your fonts carefully, that is what makes a site look professional, get a font wheel, it's just like a color wheel, and makes combining fonts a snap about three seconds after you look at one, I'll try to google it and post a link, if money for photos is an issue, a good solution that I used to use with my circus (whose roster was constantly changing, we always needed new group photos), is Sears, or any of those places in the mall that does family portraits, they'll give you all the photos on a CD as you leave. All the pics will have that cheesy "airbrush" thing going on with them, but you can just play it up, and then, you'll at least have studio pics until you can cough up for some nice photos. Plus, those photos are easy to integrate into websites because they fade out to white at the edges. And even though they are cute and charming, you should probably take your puppy and kitty cat photos down, approach your website as a sales-pitch for YOU and you'll thank yourself later (or link to a more personal page somewhere where you can post all that stuff, that's what I do).

!?www.ericcash.com?!
Doctor Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-04, 03:41 PM   #23
Butterfly Man
Refurbished Member

Cool blind leading the blind

Thanks for your advise but I don't think I'd call unless I needed to update my cockring ...

P.S nothing you say is "necessary".
Old 08-30-04, 05:54 PM   #24
Woofnah

Lurk A little more input please, Scott

I've changed the link color to a purple. Please take a look at it and let me know if you think it should be a brighter, i.e., lighter purple ... or if the purple I have chosen will suffice.

I really did like the bright blue best. Blue is my favorite color.

Thanks for your input.
Woofnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-04, 07:49 PM   #25
Tyler

I like it.
Old 08-30-04, 07:49 PM   #26
Tyler

As Dr. Eric pointed out I am only 15, so it wouldn't be a promo site for all over. It'd be for places where I live, with some stuff for my juggling friends.
Old 08-31-04, 08:59 AM   #27
scot

Send a message via AIM to scot
Scot nearly perfect...

Eric said that the page had the appearance of being made by a, "blind monkey with an iBook." Robert was the one to classify this saying as relating to you by noting your powers of vision. This link leads to the idea that you may be a monkey with an iBook.

Link colour is better. Now, change the headline color of "ADRIA M. MOSKOWITZ" To black (main stuff should have highest contrast), and the sub-headline to a dark ("#330033") shade of purple. Your vlinks should be "#6600cc".

As long as you're going with that fansite-ish background, black text is alright because your grey is far enough off white. If you get a lighter bg or you change to white, all your black text should be changed to "#333333" or a similar "off black" value of a color (like "#000033").

Your color vision limits you a lot in this arena, but if you understand how rgb values work, and remember to keep things subtle, you can do ok. To keep the stave off the brightness, avoid values of "ff" on any of your colors.

As Eric suggested, CSS is a good thing to learn if you have more time than money. Once you learn the basics, you can change the colorvalues and layout of your entire site by just changing one file. you also have more flexibility than with plain HTML.

Eric, knows more than just how to reduce the size of a cockring. His site is a designer's nightmare, but he knows all the rules he breaks. He's right. Don't listen to the agent on advice about design. The tips the agent gave were all wrong, and anti-helpful. If links were supposed to be spaced like that, I think at least one other company would have a site that looked similar. And, M.C. Escher is cool, but he's more cool for being unique and discernable.

Trash the pictures on your homepage ( You just admitted that most people don't understand them) and put up the picture of you sitting on the grass. It's not a head shot, but a body shot. That's ok. If you have the larger resolution photo, crop it just past the edges of your body (cut off a toe, a bit of your knee, your elbow tip, and a bit of your head) then resize it so it's 400px tall. If it looks bad at this size, undo and make it a little smaller until it looks ok.

If you're getting new photos taken, read the stuff I wrote below. Be extremely prepared for your photographer. Ask him if you can pick up some film for him? Get him some reference pictures of what you want ahead of time if possible. If he doesn't like it that your making a style suggestion and you're paying him between $1000 and $50, you need a new photographer. Get a new costume if you can. Practice your poses, so you can do it all fast. Make everything look as custom as possible, you're not trying to sell a juggling show to agents (they have those). You're trying to sell you.

Domains are free at the link I posted for Tyler below.

If there's any chance, ditch your personal pages, and the links page. You don't want to make it easy for people to leave your site.

If you need to post anything else, please start a new thread. That will help keep things more organized.

I think you should go with a bionic juggler thing. You giving team building workshops doesn't make as much sense as a self-starter type of workshop. You should work the overcoming obstacles angle.

Scot
Old 08-31-04, 11:37 AM   #28
Chance

Default Hi!

Your site is looking better all the time, but I was wondering if you have any pics where you are smiling?

Chance
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote