performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS... > TOOLS OF THE TRADE

Old 07-28-04, 10:06 PM   #1
worldwidese

Default Proud Owner

I finally went ahead yesterday and bought a Crate Limo. Dandy! Now, I would like some input as to what is the best brand to get to hook up to it. i would like pros and cons regarding Cd player, minidisc or tape deck. Help me out guys and steer me in the right direction.
Old 07-29-04, 02:29 AM   #2
Doctor Eric

Buy the cheapest CD player you can find, they all sound like crap through a portable amp, and you are going to break them left and right.

!?www.ericcash.com?!
Doctor Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-04, 04:36 AM   #3
Butterfly Man
Refurbished Member

Guitar Fresh Batteries Every Show

Disagree ... minidisc (easier to edit) ... get a remote (www.magiloon) if you wish ... remember your wireless needs to be completely battery powered (transmitter & receiver) ...

things do take a beating ... but remember tupperware is your friend ...

have all wires hot sealed at connector points when you buy it ... make sure your costume has a specially fitted pocket in place ... use ace bandages to secure everything but your future.
Old 07-29-04, 09:37 AM   #4
Chance

Default mixed bag

I agree with Moth Head that the Mini is a better choice than the CD option. But, I also agree with the good Doctor that just about anything sounds like crap when filtered through a portable amp cheaper than the Anchor series of amps.

Since you have the Crate, buy whatever you can afford, but always try for the best in any category. The extra $25 bucks will pay for itself later, some how, some way.

In case you are wondering, there are also ways to wire it so that your Crate is also powering the Mini and Mic, all from one battery. There are some older threads dealing with the subject already...
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-04, 01:17 PM   #5
worldwidese

Default Wiring And Other Stuff For Dummies

Butterfly Man, I have a soldering kit, but have never used it. I suppose I need to strip away a bit of the wire casing to solder the connections..Duh?

][/quote] remember your wireless needs to be completely battery powered (transmitter & receiver) ... I have a 12ft long wired headset that plugs into the Crate. True, it's not so convenient re movement, but it's less complicated to set up.I'll probably move on to a wireless as I get more technically savvy...

Chance, there seems to be a plug for both the music player and the mic on this new lighter weight model.

QUOTE "The TX50DBE amp has a generous 50 watts RMS of power thru a 10" specially designed woofer and high efficiency Piezo tweeter, has two channels to use (each with it's own level and EQ controls) and 8 built-in digital effects. The cabinet is lighter than ever, and has improved bass frequency response.
Channel 1 of the Limo has an XLR input as well as 1/4" input to increase versatility, and other features include a headphone/line out jack, footswitch jack to control channel switching and to turn effects on and off, a speaker stand mount that is perfect for getting the Limo up above the crowd, and even a pair of RCA inputs that will accommodate a CD player, tape player, rhythm machine, etc. the built-in rechargeable battery provides up to 8 hours of use, and both AC adapter and cigarette adapters are included as well. the Limo has Crate's 5 year transferable warranty. the Limo's size is just 18.5" x 13.5" x 12.5" and it weighs approximately 22 lbs. List $529.99. for convenience, you can order using the shopping cart or call toll free 1.888.753.6684. #TX50DBE
NOW IN STOCK!!!! Pulse's price $349.95"

Have shows in a Shopping Mall this weekend. Will see how it works out!

Last edited by worldwidese; 07-29-04 at 01:23 PM.
worldwidese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-04, 03:40 PM   #6
Doctor Eric

Default Chopping Mall...

Heh, heh, a Limo's 50 watts and admittedly nice bass response is gonna rip a hole in the side of that shopping mall, watch the natural reverb worldwide.

By the way, for the record, I have a laptop, and two nice little programs, one is called WaveLab, for raw editing of .wav files, and the other is Nero (cd burning util) between these two, I can accomplish more, in less time, with my crappy $20 cd player (that is no big deal to replace), than most can do with an MD player, then again, those nifty remotes only work on MD's.

!?www.ericcash.com?!

Last edited by Doctor Eric; 07-29-04 at 03:44 PM.
Old 07-29-04, 06:47 PM   #7
Rick Martin

I've been using an MP3 player made by Digital Research. It's called "My MP3 Player" it's 128 MB and it costs $80. It uses one AAA battery which is the same as my microphone transmitter so that's convenient. The best thing about it for me is that the buttons are big enough for me to see without my glasses. It's smaller than a deck of cards and I have it velcroed to my Crate Taxi. I also use the Samson Airline headset and power that reciever ( also held to the Taxi by velcro) from the Crate's battery. This has been very dependable for two years.
Rick Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-04, 02:42 AM   #8
worldwidese

Default Panic Button

Today I had some time at last to play around with my new toy, which I found by the way is a Crate 50 D not a BE. But it has to go back to the store tomorrow to get it fixed as there's something wrong with the Level control for the music input. There's no change whether I put it at 0 or higher. It still comes out at the same level- LOUD! (or is that what you meant, Eric? The Mic level works fine.

Rick- I think the big button tip will be very useful, as sometimes I find myself having to look at things from behind, or sideways. You may have dissuaded me from buying a Sony MD Player, which I was pretty sold on. Will have to mull it over.
Old 07-30-04, 05:41 AM   #9
Doctor Eric

Default Music input level?

Loud is what I meant, but there is no music input level on your amp, if you're having a problem, it is with whatever you are using for music, not your amp. Although you didn't go into detail, I'm 99.9% sure what you are talking about is real simple, it sounds like what you did was plug in your cd player (or whatever) via the direct out, not the headphone jack. Use the headphone jack, direct out is exactly that, it will bypass volume, bass boost, and everything else, just pure signal + amplifier, the headphonejack works exactly the way, well, like it works when you have your headphones on. As far as I know, unless they recently added this feature, Limo's have no level control for your audio in. As a side note, Chris Karney plugs his cd player into his second input because it's louder that way (it's also why Chris' music sounds like dog-!@#? on a stick), but using this method could give you the control you want, get an RCA to quarter inch adapter, (female to male, just ask at the counter at radio shack).

-EDIT- I just reread your post. Scratch what I said earlier unless it's right. I think you plugged your cd into your audio in, yes? And then you changed the level on the volume knob on the same horizontal plane as your audio in, follow? If this is what you did, you are changing the level of your second input, NOT your audio in. Turn down the volume on your cd player.

!?www.ericcash.com?!

Last edited by Doctor Eric; 07-30-04 at 05:46 AM.
Old 07-30-04, 01:05 PM   #10
Frisbee

Just invest in an i-pod/i-pod mini...you can fit all the music you could ever want for your show on it and you do not need to worry about any scratched discs over time.

-Frisbee

www.FrisbeeShow.com
Old 07-31-04, 05:27 PM   #11
Spike McGuire

Send a message via AIM to Spike McGuire

I just got an Ipod as well, it is just pointless to do a show with anything else. Plus you can get a remote. And the battery life is crazy.

-----Spike
Old 07-31-04, 05:42 PM   #12
Doctor Eric

iPods are the pet rock of the new millenia. Maybe they do work well, maybe I SHOULD use one in my show, but the cult like hypno fever surrounding them makes me want to vomit. Not only that, but it makes me want to garrote all the iPodiphiles with a USB cable, plus, the damn things are so CUTE, I mean really, how can I store my 11 GB death metal/noize collection in one of those things, and Chopin would roll in his grave if I threw his piano sonatas in there....

!?www.ericcash.com?!
Old 07-31-04, 07:43 PM   #13
Frisbee

Default Ipod

If you just put a skull and crossbones sticker on your ipod and etch Sucks underneath the ipod logo it will probably solve most of your image issues...and will allow you to use your USB cable whip for good as well as evil.

-Frisbee

www.FrisbeeShow.com
Old 07-31-04, 09:56 PM   #14
Rick Martin

The ipod is definitely a cool tool, but it's $400 and $250 for the Mini and they hold hundreds or thousands of songs. Most variety acts use only a few songs, maybe six at the most, so one of the little cheapie MP3 players will do the trick for under $100.
Rick Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-04, 04:14 AM   #15
Butterfly Man
Refurbished Member

Cool cheap bastard that I am ...

I just bought the white earphones only ... now I can ignore everyone and look cool at a fraction of the price!
Old 08-01-04, 10:51 AM   #16
pablo

Default LOL

Thank you, Butterfly Man. I just fell off my chair reading that.

This is why I love this forum. Stay cool and ignore the BS.
pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-04, 10:02 PM   #17
worldwidese

Default Problem Solved

Oay, Eric, your'e probably right, will try that out. But for yesterday's shows I did what they told me at the store where I bought the Crate..
I plugged my music player with a quarter inch adapter added into the Instrument Input and used the second channel Level for adjusting the volume with the Gain Select button Out. Worked like a charm.
Funny there's no volume button for the CD Input jack. It's just a hot spot.
Old 09-27-04, 08:36 AM   #18
stickman

Canada

My current favorite is the "pontis" mp3 player I keep buying off the internet. Takes both sd cards and compact flash. Works out under a 100 euros (or $100 us if you shop around) with a decent card and lets me get away with a hell of a lot of abuse to it on the street. Hard plastic and is the size of a md player, takes one AA battery which lasts a long time. Done the cheap cd option (keep breaking them), creative jukebox (battery hog/annoying to wait for the warmup), md players (quick editing took too long/too expensive), etc.. Also I believe the pontis can use a card up to a gig at a time. More then enough for me. My show music fits under 16 megs. My favorite option which keeps me away from other cheap mp3's is I can set the pause function to hold indefinitly, or in other words "no" timeout (if you set it). Handy when I pause the show to deal with hecklers, and want to continue where I left off to prove a point. Supposed to be able to play games on it as well, but never bothered downloading any.

Been thinking about the ipod (fm option is banned in Uk/Ireland unfortunitly), but my major problem with it is I've had too many of my players have been stolen during the show. Saying that would be curious to hear more about the range and interferance issues.

Stickman
http://www.jawz.de/~stickman

Last edited by stickman; 09-27-04 at 08:42 AM.
stickman is offline   Reply With Quote