performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > BUSKING Q&A/GENERAL PERFORMING TOPICS

Old 06-07-02, 04:31 PM   #61
Triona

Clown

Hey Firegirl,

I think the blow backs happen mainly to fire breathers. I read an article once that said it can happen when you don't keep a steady stream of fuel coming out of your mouth while you are igniting it (making a fire ball). How accurate that is I have no idea as I am deathly afraid of fire and have no desire to eat, blow, juggle or otherwise use uncontained fire (I'll use a barbeque grill and even they make me nervous).

Burns are not fun. I had boiling water spilt down my back when I was little, fortuantely it didn't scar. My mother didn't know proper first aid for a burn and put the burn cream right on instead of immersing me in cold water. Fortunately it wasn't on there long as my dad was on the phone to the pediatrician and he said to get it off right away. I can still feel the pain. Probably why I'm afraid of fire (either that or I burned to death in another life).

So, if you're doing a fire show and I disappear, don't be offended. I have all I can do to be around a campfire or fireplace at times. I'll never be competition [img]biggrin.gif[/img]
Triona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-02, 06:25 PM   #62
Thom

Chance,

Just a slight correction,

"Lacapodium (sp) powder is laboratory quality, *highly refined* grain powder -- primarily wheat and barley from what I have been told. It is the extra additive found in capsulated and tableted medicines. So it must be easily disolved by the body, highly pure and refined, and able to carry a variety of medicines, etc."

That's wrong. Well, not all of it.

Lycopodium Powder is a non-explosive pine spore powder that requires a continuous flame to keep it burning. This substance derives from a plant found in South America that is known as club moss.

If your high school science teacher ever did the experiment where he coated the top of a bucket of water in powder, dipped his hand to the bottom of the bucket and came out dry as a bone. That was lycopodium powder in action.

Incidently, science teacher suppliers are the best source for bulk supplies of this powder at great prices.

Lycopodium used to be widely used in theaters as a pyrotechnique during the early 1900's. The "dirty" fallout and high cost are the reasons cited for it's demise.

And now you know!

Damn, I feel like Mr. Wizard!

[ 06-07-2002: Message edited by: Thom ]</p>
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-02, 11:29 PM   #63
firegirl

Send a message via AIM to firegirl Send a message via Yahoo to firegirl

thom... i always KNEW you were really mr. wizard in disguise!

bwahahahahahah!

smooches from,
firegirl

Check out "Mama Said Don't Play With Matches" - coming this spring to a San Francisco theater near you!
firegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-02, 07:09 AM   #64
Chance

Jester

Don't worry about correcting anything I wrote, Thom. The letter was heavily qualified with phrases like "from what I have been told", etc. That, plus going on 7 year old memories about a product I never actually held in my own grubby little hands and anythng is likely to come rambling out.

Pine spores??? That would certainly explain the taste!
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-02, 07:14 AM   #65
Chance

Okay kiddies, this just in:

http://onlinedictionary.datasegment....dium%20powder/
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-02, 06:45 AM   #66
Pyromancer

Well, well, well...

How cynical. After a whole thread of talking about fire and safety I had this nice accident last weekend. While having a mouth full fuel, my throat decided to do a little hick-up. I swallowed a bit of paraffin and - even worse - a little bit came into my lungs. The result: minor but still very pain full chemical pneumonia again. The result: severe pain in the chest, difficulties with breathing, fever, sweating my guts out and feeling very cold as well...
It happened on Saturday and today - Friday - is the first day that I can say I feel somewhat good again. I must be a lucky man - it can take far, far longer to recover, I know by experience.

Well... the moral: if someone tells you firebreathing can go wrong: it's no joke at all!!!

Take care...

Pyromancer
Pyromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-02, 01:49 PM   #67
firegirl

Send a message via AIM to firegirl Send a message via Yahoo to firegirl

thank goodness you're ok...

~firegirl

Check out "Mama Said Don't Play With Matches" - coming this spring to a San Francisco theater near you!
firegirl is offline   Reply With Quote