performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS... > RESOURCES/EDUCATIONAL MATERIAL

Old 11-22-04, 06:53 PM   #1
martin ewen

Lurk Stilt workshop + stilts, Baltimore,nov 29/30/dec 1

I am holding a stilt workshop consisting of 3x 3 hour sessions incorporating individual fittings of new Hickory peg stilts and subsequent movement vocab tuition.

The cost is $225, inclusive of stilts.

About the stilts.
I've been on stilts proffessionally for over 20 years and I'm above average.
My advantage (if I have one) is the natural movement style I have with stilts.
This is due in large part because my stilts are very well balanced and mirror my natural stance offstilts.
I have a simple process by which I can balance stilts to mirror pupils natural stance such that they start from neutral rather than having to adjust to the stilts before working on their movement vocab.

The stilts themselves are a product of many years experimentation. (mainly with woodtypes)
They are VERY light and VERY VERY strong.
You can adjust the height down from the meter length they come in .
I provide everything but comfortable, light, ankle height shoes/boots, and you will need to bring a roll of gaffer/duct. (because I'm a low tech kinda guy)

The workshops
Will involve fitting followed by basic foundation balance work and individuals will be able to progress at a pace suited to their ability.
I will be holding a daytime series and an evening series of workshops to make it possible for people with committments that could otherwise clash.

I have people confirmed already and am posting this so that various people who have expressed an interest now have the opportunity to contact me and participate.

If interested e-mail me at
lurk2000[at]mac.com
martin ewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-04, 12:38 PM   #2
martin ewen

Lurk Bumping it up

Shamelessly keeping it topical.

oooh look, it's breathing
http://roguesatellite.blogspot.com/
Old 11-27-04, 04:08 PM   #3
Cybele

Hey! Martin, tell about the date change.

New dates for this workshop: Monday Tuesday Wednesday December 6 7 and 8.
Cybele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-04, 07:19 PM   #4
Michele/Columbina/Stupina

Send a message via ICQ to Michele/Columbina/Stupina Send a message via AIM to Michele/Columbina/Stupina
Question Martin, checks are written to?

Trying to figure out the technicalities. Who do checks get written to for this workshop? Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 12-01-04, 10:55 AM   #5
martin ewen

Lurk prelim info

Michele
Checks made out to
"the greater good of mankind"
Although maybe just my name is better as the bank and I have vast philosophical differences.

also measure the side of your leg from your instep to a point adjacent to the area under your kneecap and above your shinbone and e-mail me.

and bring ankle length shoes to be bolted.

and kneepads are often comforting as a confidence aid, plus their padded.

And bring one junked standard bath-towel.
(I will be providing quality padding but you'll need the towel (a strip of) to wrap it)

any other questions pop them up here for me to answer as that might help others.

Last edited by martin ewen; 12-01-04 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12-08-04, 05:23 PM   #6
Cybele

Thumbs Up

The stilts are lovely. I've owned rollerskates that weighed more. The venue is accommodating. The students are good-natured and hard working. The instructor forbids me to post my true opinion of him, so I'll just say he knows what he's doing.

We are having a most amazingly elevated high time hereabouts.
Cybele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-04, 07:11 PM   #7
Michele/Columbina/Stupina

Send a message via ICQ to Michele/Columbina/Stupina Send a message via AIM to Michele/Columbina/Stupina
Talking

Barring the inevitable bumps and bruises in re-learning/learning a skill, I have had a wonderful time in the workshop. I worked hard, struggled, and eventually walked, albeit baby steps, without any help on peg stilts (though I am still working on standing up completely alone). Actually, the only time I fell on the stilts didn't hurt at all. It was slipping off the ladder that wasn't comfortable. But, since I got most of that out of the way in the very beginning, there was no where to go but..pardon the pun...up.

Others spun around me trying out fanciful new moves that I expect to see on them in the "field" some day soon. Everyone was supportive and helpful.

Martin has a wonderful eye for what is making your body go off or keeping you from moving to the next step.

The stilts are amazingly balanced and light, I can carry both of mine in the same arm without a problem. Though, I want blue duct tape next time. Or maybe purple, to match my sneakers.

Thank you all for your assistance and patience with me.
Old 12-10-04, 12:00 AM   #8
virginia

Send a message via AIM to virginia
Default Highly recommended class and quality stilts.

I thoroughly enjoyed the stilt workshop these past few days. The stilts are so wonderfully light, customized and balanced. I am absolutely in love, obsessed. I've been up twice since the workshop ended, practicing all the cool new stuff I can do. Thanks Cybie for putting this one together and for the warm bed and breakfast. And thanks Martin and Izzy for making it happen.
virginia is offline   Reply With Quote