performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS... > RESOURCES/EDUCATIONAL MATERIAL

Old 12-13-04, 12:03 PM   #21
Steven Ragatz

Why wait 'til your 18? Start now! Take dance classes, acting classes, gymnastics, weight training, martial arts, and yoga. Work on flexibility and focus on developing a strong foundation. Learn some basic juggling, unicycling, and balance skills. Don't expect a circus school to be the magic key that opens the door - you will have to work to educate yourself even if you are enrolled in a formal program. The more vocabulary you bring in, the better the act you take out.

Ask specific questions. This site is a pretty good place to start.

Steve
Steven Ragatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-04, 01:06 PM   #22
orestas1123

Well I cant find any gymnastic classes around here for boys my age but I strength train and flexability train for about an hour a day. Will juggling really help me with the wheel? And Steven, how often do you talk to Chris?
orestas1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-04, 03:38 AM   #23
Steven Ragatz

No, juggling won't help you with the wheel, but the reality of circus is that you have to get work once you have an act assembled. It is far easier to get into a gig if you have a broad set of skills to offer the show. More to the point, juggling, unicycles, etc. are going to be more accessible to you at this point since you don't actually own a wheel or have the facilities to learn one.

More to the point, if you are interested in going to a circus school, you will have to learn a wide set of skills (including juggling), so you might as well work on those that you can do now. Getting to do the German Wheel comes pretty far down the list of most school curriculum.

These days I talk to Chris about every ten minutes.

Steve

Last edited by Steven Ragatz; 12-14-04 at 03:54 AM.
Old 12-14-04, 01:53 PM   #24
orestas1123

The SF circus center does have a class for german wheel but Im doin the best I can at home.
And Im sure this is probably a ridiculus question but is it possible that he might be able to answer any questions, I know you said he's fairly quiet about this stuff, but if he could it would be fantastic. Thanks.
Old 12-15-04, 12:59 AM   #25
scot

Send a message via AIM to scot

I agree with Steve. Not in the "broad diversity of skills department" as much as the "start working now" department. The people that are really successful are usually focussed on one thing and do it well. This can work for you, but you can't think about it, you've got to start training. Weightlifting and strength and endurance training without weights is going to help you a lot with wheel. Call around and search you should be able to find some one in a week if you really try. mostly, work work work. Start now because you're going to make mistakes. the sooner you get them out of the way the sooner you start making corrections.
Old 01-01-05, 02:21 PM   #26
orestas1123

No posts in a while, but thank you all for the advice, right now all im doing is strength training and flexabilty stuff, and saving money for whatever I need to help progress further. Steven, are you out there? I wanted to know about my last question, and about whether the SF circus center could give me the help I need in terms of getting me into a legit career witht the circus. Thanks again everyone.
Old 01-02-05, 12:39 AM   #27
Steven Ragatz

I would imagine that the SF Circus Center would be as good a place as any to train. However, no school will guarantee any level of success. Degrees or diplomas don't get you hired - a sharp act will. Maybe a school will help you build that act, and maybe not.

Steve
Old 01-02-05, 11:06 PM   #28
orestas1123

I'm starting to get into juggling to, although Ineed to find better balls to use. I don't know if I'm any good but its a fun hobby, german wheel is still what I would really like to do. I dont know how long it takes to get good at any of these things though, Im afraid that I already missed my chance, it seems like most performers started when they were 7.

Last edited by orestas1123; 01-02-05 at 11:09 PM.
Old 01-03-05, 01:42 AM   #29
Steven Ragatz

No, you have not missed your chance. Start today. Your biggest step towards success is the first one.

Steve
Old 01-03-05, 01:43 AM   #30
Steven Ragatz

P.S. Your lucky numbers are 6, 8, 12, 19, 32 and 41
Old 01-05-05, 07:09 PM   #31
orestas1123

The thing is that I dont know how realistic it is to get a career from my age(15), so many people start when theyre practically babies. I mean, how long do you think it took viktor kee to get to his level of juggling, and when did you start Steven?

P.S are you sure 4 wasnt one of my numbers?
Old 01-05-05, 10:15 PM   #32
orestas1123

Also, when I,m practicing juggling, which I started a couple days ago, I can do like 8 throws with 3 balls, I know youre a great juggler and I was wondering if theres anything I can do to improve other than the obviouse try and try again theorie. My main problem is that my throws get less accurate as I do more, the balls tend to start going forward so i have to chase the balls, pretty pathetic.

Last edited by orestas1123; 01-05-05 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-05-05, 11:34 PM   #33
Steven Ragatz

If you are getting a few throws with three balls then you need to do one thing, and one thing only. Stop typing and go practice. You don't need to worry about anything other that your own studies. Immerse yourself - look on the web - find teachers - take classes - then after you have done that for several years, come back and ask about Viktor.

Good luck. The early years are the most fun because progress happens very quickly.

Steve

PS. I started when I was 16, so I know what I'm talking about. And no, I am still not as good as Viktor, but then he isn't as good as I am either...
Old 01-06-05, 03:15 AM   #34
scot

Send a message via AIM to scot

The best way to get better at juggling is to continue to post questions on performers.net. I started juggling when I was 15 but I could only get two throws with three balls. Then, in 1997, when I got the internet, my juggling impoved a lot. High speed internet access moved me from 3 balls to 4 balls. Then, Cable on Demand went from 4 to 5. When I got internet and photo ability on my phone, I started doing clubs and mills mess. All I need is a webcam and I'll be doing the yo-yo with clubs.

You can not learn to juggle without technology.

Seriously: Victor Kee didn't ask questions. He couldn't even speak English. Quit posting here. Knowledge is going to be counter productive to learning 3 balls.