performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS... > TOOLS OF THE TRADE

Old 11-06-04, 03:21 AM   #1
sleight

Default air travel with a crate limo amp

I was planning to travel around the world and was wondering what type of case other performers use to travel with a crate limo amp...in order to meet airline weight requirments?
sleight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-04, 03:43 PM   #2
Daniel Craig

Send a message via ICQ to Daniel Craig

I usually just take my crate as carry on, because it weighs so much and gets banged around if it gets checked.
Daniel Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-04, 07:36 PM   #3
sleight

have you taken it as carry-on in europe....I thought they would give you a hard time about the battery?
Old 11-07-04, 03:46 PM   #4
Evan Young

Send a message via AIM to Evan Young

I don't think the battery in the crate is much different than a laptop battery.

ka-pow!
www.globalevan.com
www.showoffshow.com
www.evanshotme.com
Evan Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-04, 04:35 PM   #5
Pyromancer

EasyJet wouldn't allow it as hand luggage when I took it with them, because of the battery. But that may depend on the person in charge as well... I usually put my Crate Taxi in my suitcase...
Pyromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-04, 06:26 PM   #6
sleight

what model suitcase do you have....I have been searching for one that would hold a crate limo?
Old 11-08-04, 03:59 AM   #7
Kim

New Zealand

I usually (well, when I remember) remove the battery (which is way bigger than a laptop battery), check in the amp (in a munty flight case), and carry the battery in my carry on.
Old 11-08-04, 04:57 AM   #8
Pyromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by sleight
what model suitcase do you have....I have been searching for one that would hold a crate limo?
The biggest Samsonite I could get in store... It's just big (high) enough to hold the Taxi. I am not quite sure about the dimensions of the Limo.

(Unfortunately, the Samsonite didn't prove to be as desert proof as the commercials will tell you. I managed to crash it in less than a year...)
Pyromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-04, 03:01 AM   #9
Lee Nelson

Default batteries and suitcases

hey there, just wondering about something Kim said. ive always wanted to take my battery out and take it on with me as hand luggage but dont you get given shit because it is a liquid acid battery? its on thier prohibited list. I dont want to check all my shit in and then have it confiscated by the metal detector Nazis.
could anyone else tell me success stories of taking the battery on to the plane in the handluggage after it has actually been seen by the aforementioned protectors of our airlines integrity. I cant imagine it being X-rayed without them wanting to have a look.
really really curious
also .... one samsonite a year is pretty good going i think. maybe your not treating it rough enough!!! ive never had the energy or the home address to take them up on their warrenty but like Pyromancer said they do make the one that fits the Limo. which just happens also to be solid enough to do handstands on.
oh well back to the beach
lee
Lee Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-04, 03:34 AM   #10
Chance

As far as I can tell, batteries are not banned outright. What they are most concerned about is leakage. Hobby style batteries are sealed; they can't leak, so usually no problem.

So far, -- knock wood -- I have never been refused with mine. But they do want to x-ray and swab it. (They take a clean cotton piece and wipe it over the suspect item, then check this piece for drug residue.)

Pass these two tests and you should be home free. What remains is the asshole factor of the checker themself.
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-04, 10:23 AM   #11
Kim

I thought the cotton test was for explosive residue...

I've taken my battery through as hand luggage several times, usually in the same bag as a bunch of adaptors, power plugs, cables and sometimes a big bag of change...

They seem to be concerned that it's all one device, but as soon as they open it up and see it's just a mess of crap, they're pretty cool...

Of course, I'm a pretty wide eyed, smiley new zealander, and contrary to popular opinion, Kiwi's don't hate your freedom.

Last edited by Kim; 11-09-04 at 10:25 AM.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-04, 03:52 PM   #12
nick nickolas

get an amp can ... carry on luggage ....easy....
Old 11-09-04, 08:23 PM   #13
Lee Nelson

Default somtimes the ampcan can screw you too

hey nick, had problems with ampcans too. once a metal inspector nazi made me open it (while rushing for a flight) take out the battery (luckily i could open the housing with a small coin) and then only after much persuasion by myself and against his "better" judgement did he let me continue on with it. you could almost see him wishing that hed never noticed it in the first place as my arguements discovered cracks in his "procedure".
sometimes its not as easy as youd think.
give a guy some power and then a problem that he doesnt have the answer too and you can have a problem as well.

does anyone know for a fact if sealed lead acid batteries are allowed. i just would like to know my rights. i believe that they are because another time it was pulled from my checked luggage and i had to go thru some crazy storage procedure they use for people travelling with the batteries from electric wheelchairs involving separate packing (provided by the airline) and a highly absorbant dust.

so i suppose i just answered my own question. they do have a procedure, it isnt disallowed just disapproved of. it also takes time and might make you miss your flight. better to just try and smile winsomely like an unoffensive kiwi or check it on and most importantly avoid america.

lee
Lee Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-04, 10:21 PM   #14
Stretch

Default google: "Airline battery regulations"

and found this on Northwesterns website:
"Non-spillable Batteries (Dry-cell or Gel-cell)
Dry cell and gel cell batteries are considered non-spillable and fewer requirements are required for handling. Batteries will remain attached to the powered wheelchair when the equipment fits upright through the aircraft cargo compartment door. Northwest personnel will disconnect the battery post connectors and wrap each post connector with tape to prevent electrical shorts during shipping."

Wet cell batteries may be disconnected and put in a battery box.

hope this helps.

http://www.stiltwalker.com/

http://www.bubbletower.com/

http://www.youtube.com/stiltpro

http://stiltpro.blogspot.com/
Stretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-05, 03:00 AM   #15
eurobuskers

Default this is easy

buy 2 batteries in two different places!
for example, one in oz for winter
and one in europe for the summer!
If you are a not a complete asshole you will have a friend somewhere to look after the unused battery and you travel without a battery.