performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > BUSKING Q&A/GENERAL PERFORMING TOPICS

Old 04-08-05, 07:31 PM   #21
Mr.Taxi Trix

Thanks, Gav. I'll pass the word back to the student on the rubbing alcohol.

Evan, I find that milk certainly helps my mindset, and makes the shit slime taste a lot less noticeable. Good eye out, by the way, I'll do an ultra pure search next biggish store I'm in.

What about charcoal pills? I used to take them beforehand, at the advice of a fire breather I knew, and they also helped mentally, at least. His take was that they absorbed any fuel that made it into your system, and passed it out of you.
Mr.Taxi Trix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-05, 08:40 PM   #22
theincrediblelarry

Taxi, that totally can't be true (charcoal bit)- your mouth absorbs fuel instantly. Aclohol as well as many other chemicals, such as ambesol, and those of a halloucinogenic nature, are ingested through the tounge, gums etc. No matter what, you ingest fuel. I use coleman as well but don't perform breathing often.

Whatever
theincrediblelarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-05, 07:59 AM   #23
gav

Default charcoal

Yeah, I think the charcoal is only goin to help with anything that makes it to your gut. Charcoal absorbs all kinds of impurities and is used in many filtration devices. Milk I think does provide some kind of protective lining if you drink it before hand, and I used to find that the only thing that got rid of the oily feeling was drinking coke afterwards. That shit will clean anything !!
gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-05, 06:39 PM   #24
Lynneski

Thanks, Stephon. It makes sense, yes, that kero and similar things that one is not supposed to ingest can cause damage if ingested. Cirrhosis (sp?) is supposed to be the number one result of long-term fuel abuse. I've heard tales of sideshow guys of days past who've expired, purportedly, of fuel poisoning. I guess I was looking for more modern first-hand evidence.

I seem to vaguely recall a long ago similar thread wherein Raoul supported lycodium powder as the cleanest-burning fuel, but I may be misremembering, or I'm on the crack. Ragu, you remember dis?
Old 04-10-05, 05:49 AM   #25
gav

Default burning powders

Lycopodium powder is safe to use because you don't actually put it in your mouth. You have it in a tube that you hold in your hand and then blow through. You can also just use fine flour, or even icing sugar I think. The thing is that the effect is no where near as spectacular. Any kind of a powder that has a high cellulose content is flammable.
Old 04-10-05, 06:37 AM   #26
Pyromancer

Lycopodium is safer, but the flames aren't as beautifull as the ones made with liquid fuels.

And Lynneske, first hand evidence would be interesting indeed. Because we all just seem to hear stories...

If I go for a full medical check up one day, I'll let you know.
Pyromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-05, 08:54 AM   #27
jester

Jester

I know a performer who died of liver failure at 32 years of age. It's difficult to comment because he had suffered from a liver illness as a child.

jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-05, 09:39 AM   #28
gav

Default I know a guy

I know a guy that started loosing hair, anyone who uses these fuels in this way will end up with no hair !! I'll hazard a guess that some of the most experienced fire breathers have no hair.
Old 04-10-05, 12:08 PM   #29
Pyromancer

Default Re: I know a guy

Quote:
Originally posted by gav
I know a guy that started loosing hair, anyone who uses these fuels in this way will end up with no hair !! I'll hazard a guess that some of the most experienced fire breathers have no hair.
It's just sensible to have no hair when you work a lot with fire. And many, many men loose hair when they grow older. I did. But if someone feels comfortable blaming their hairloss on the fuel they use, it's fine for me.

Last edited by Pyromancer; 04-10-05 at 12:11 PM.
Pyromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-05, 04:48 PM   #30
Lynneski

It occurred to me that it would be a great library article, to discuss the various fuels and for what they are best suited - even, perhaps, to go so far as to compile a list of what brand names they go by in various countries. Anyone game?
Old 04-10-05, 07:18 PM   #31
firegirl

Send a message via AIM to firegirl Send a message via Yahoo to firegirl
USA FUEL LIST:

In the USA I've heard the following being used:

FOR TORCH/MOUTH TRICKS:
White Gas (otherwise known as):
Coleman
Camp Fuel
Butane

FOR BLOWS & JUGGLING TORCHES
Kero (otherwise known as):
Lamp Oil

FOR BLOWS:
Lypcodium Powder (other things used in the same manner):
Non-Dairy Powder Creamer

I've heard about Everclear, 151 Rum.. etc, being used for fuel - tried it once with painful results. I don't reccomend it.

I've also heard that there is an elusive, platinum, "White Gas" of fire eating dreams... the purest of fuels. But, I suspect it's just butane or some other form of camp oil... eh.

I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting - at one point I'd started working on an article about fire-eating & the like which I'd intended to send to Jim... but, I really think it's too long to post in this thread.

I think the topic was also covered in a thread which occured in "BLAH, BLAH, BLAH" a couple of years back... can't remember the title... something about fire-eating.

anyhow.

Check out "Mama Said Don't Play With Matches" - coming this spring to a San Francisco theater near you!
firegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-05, 07:31 PM   #32
Doctor Eric

" I heard that milk helps coat your mouth, stomach, throat and washes oil away. myth or fact?"

Misquoted pseudo-fact. Cream (I used to use half and half), will coat your mouth with a layer of protein that the petroleum fumes will have to eat through before they start to absorb into your system. The protection provided is less than minimal, and does you no good if you're doing blasts.

Here are the facts as far as I know them. Tim Cridland (whom I use as an example because he's been doing it for a long time, and he's quite a bit older than me) has no health problems at all, and eats fire very, VERY often. Then again, he doesn't drink or smoke. I do both, and I eat fire very VERY often, and I worry a little. But not much.

Pyro is right as far as job hazards go, think about the NFL guys, alot of them are wrecked by the time they hit 40. Of course, most of them can afford bionic legs. But acting like imbibement of petroleum products is a good idea is just plain arrogant. It IS dangerous. It DOES have long lasting effects, and it IS a stupid idea in the first place. Especially doing blasts, I won't touch 'em anymore personally, and I think that charging $1000 per blast is perfectly reasonable. As a matter of fact, it is somewhat standard here in CA.

I'd also like to second the motion that coleman is a real bad idea for blows, I didn't watch the video posted here but I'm sure I've seen it, I've also seen it firsthand, when someone was dumb enough to fill a lamp oil bottle with coleman at a group fire show in 1999. It's okay, we put her out, and she's still pretty.

The hair loss thing and liver failure are great examples of how urban myths start. A little bit of fact here, a sprinkle of assumption, just a dash of hype, and three tons of stupidity. Simmer and serve.

I posted once a while back about the fact that pure citrus oil is extremely flammable, and might be explored as an alternative, but to my knowledge, no one's tried it.

The bottom line is that it's going to hurt you, even if it's just a litlle bit. Fire eaing and -blowing ARE causing petroleum distillates to accumulate in your body, and they are there to stay, of course the human body IS the divine machine, and can deal with some pretty rough !@#?. It's up to you if you want to risk your health for a hackneyed act. I do.

!?www.ericcash.com?!
Doctor Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-05, 08:07 PM   #33
firegirl

Send a message via AIM to firegirl Send a message via Yahoo to firegirl
Thumbs Up

did you see kevin lepine go up like a pine tree in jackson square in 2001? it was in october or such - right before i met him... it was pretty hideous, so i hear. he was using coleman to do a blow.

reconfirms my theory (along with yours, i'm sure) that kevin is an idiot. (sorry - but, it's true.)

eating before shows and after shows (carb heavy foods) to help absorb some of the toxins will help you avoid the immediate effects of putting fuel in your body. so will flushing your body with water (every show - drink one gallon of water.) eric is right, though, nothing will ever take away the eventual effects of putting poision into your body day after day... some say you build a tollerance to it - an immunity, so to speak - but, this is another psuedo-myth. it will dull you to the sideeffects - but, you're still putting posion in your body - coroding it away bit by bit...

blasts/blows/fireballs are not worth the risk. perhaps i would reconsider if i could pull off charging $1,000/blast... but, i haven't been able to as of yet & don't anticipate it in the near future.

anyhow.
i've got chickens cooking.

Check out "Mama Said Don't Play With Matches" - coming this spring to a San Francisco theater near you!
firegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-05, 09:18 PM   #34
martin ewen

Lurk If I may...

Small fire-breathing disaster interlude....

A street festival on a closed off street facing the beach in a bay in Wellington (the windy city)NZ.
I've got a good view via my stilts and pass a reasonable sized family crowd watching a middle aged guy juggling torches.
The winds gusting and strong, the juggler compensates but my first unsettling impression comes when, as the wind drops momentarily, he throws a spinning torch that lands amongst his crowd. This happens a couple more times and I just settle in to observe it all knowing that one day pnet would exist and I would be writing this.
He finishes off with juggling and prepares to do a blast/blow. He had that type of energy that a street act can have where its all going disastrously and so there's nothing left but to increase the pace until its just a blur of nervous energy and rudimentary structure.
He hunkers down a little to use the crowd as a windbreak but he can't help himself he arches himself up to blow. The fuel gets blown out in one blast in a gap between gusts but just as it ignites a wicked wind catches it and flings the fireball back in his face where it sticks.
So he's standing there paralyzed with shock, his head evenly lit like a candle, mothers are screaming and covering their children's eyes and dragging them as best they can backwards, instinctively away from the horror.
After a couple of seconds an audience member steps against the flow forward and throws his leather jacket over the guys head to put him out.
I can see over the heads of the crowd in the distance two saint johns ambulance-men jogging with their little suitcases towards the hysteria.
The performers still on auto and as soon as he's out continues with his last lines as if nothing has happened. He's on his own in that regard, there's nothing normal left.
I wander off thinking, "Gosh life's just an immense rich tapestry really, that was as close as I've got to seeing a performance skidmark." (It was early days early 20's)
The next day the jugglers smiling, ointment smeared face was in the paper. He was quoted as saying he was giving up on fire and going back to his old job of having people throw darts into his back in pubs.
I laughed
martin ewen is offline   Reply With Quote