performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS... > TOOLS OF THE TRADE

Old 09-26-04, 01:24 PM   #1
UCO

Lurk Amp can drama

hello all
If there is anyone who knows a good way to recharge the amp can without the adaptor. Mine died, and radio shack and all the other electronics markets don't carry a 15V 400mA adaptor. I have tried the manufactur but I haven't the three weeks to wait. Currently I am in the LA area and will be for the next week, I am dead without my amp.
If there is anyone with one that I could use for a few hours that would be amazing. Or other suggestions. Need to play
UCO
Old 09-26-04, 07:25 PM   #2
Frisbee

Default recharge

recharging your amp can should not be done with a 15V adapter...but with a 12V adapter. I have used an Amp can for the past 4 years and I too have had to replace my adapter. Radio shack has two methods,or you can special order the ampcan adapter directly from the manufacturer for like 10 dollars. Check out guitar center or a local indie music store near you.

(1) buy a 12V adapter and by the adapter attachment you need to fit your ampcan.

(2) buy a universal adapter that comes with an adjustable voltage input and polarity input and use one of the supplied adapter attachments.

-Frisbee

www.FrisbeeShow.com
Old 09-27-04, 05:34 AM   #3
Chance

Default my two cents

Frisbee is correct, in that, what ever charger you buy should be made to charge a 12v battery, not 15v. That said, the charger itself will not put out 12v, but something closer to 13.5v. But I agree that 15v is way too much, and will eventually kill your battery. (The difference between 13.5v and 15v may not seem like a lot, but for such small batteries it really does make a difference over the long haul. I am guessing some one recommended this to you as a method of fast-charging.)

Finally, I would recommend that what ever charger you buy has an automatic shut-off when charging is complete. Over-charging is the second way to kill the battery.

This summer a friend with a 12v balloon pump had exactly the same trouble, because he too was charging with a 15v unit. Very quick charging, but soon he had two dead batteries to show for it. I took him to a local shop where we fitted him with the correct equipment, and the rest of his summer went fine.

Chance
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-04, 09:16 AM   #4
Stretch

Default battery overcharging dangers

include leaking, posioning, fires and explosions. Buy a Battery Tender with
automatic fast charge, reducing to a maintaining trickle charge. After killing a $120 , 75 amp hour battery , and risking burning the house down, I got smart.

Got the Battery Tender at a Batteries Plus
store. There are several in the Denver area. The Battery Tender comes in several varities to suit different size batteries.

Good luck and be safe.
charge

http://www.stiltwalker.com/

http://www.bubbletower.com/

http://www.youtube.com/stiltpro

http://stiltpro.blogspot.com/
Stretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-04, 02:28 AM   #5
nick nickolas

Take it apart, buy a 12v battery charger and charge the battery directly....Easy..
Old 05-20-05, 05:13 PM   #6
Zack!

Are you sure about this? I bought the 12 V charger from Radio Shack, and it didn't charge.

It says 15 V on the bottom of the Amp can.
Zack! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-05, 07:33 PM   #7
The Pretty Good

Send a message via AIM to The Pretty Good

It's definitely 15V for the amp can. and the taxi and limo. but the maxi mouse is 20V. If it doesnt work through the internal charger then do what Nick says and bypass the charger and charge it directly with a 12V charger. on the 15V the amps isnt that important you can go up to 1 amp. without blowing it up.
Old 05-21-05, 09:54 AM   #8
gav

there's no such thing as a 15 volt battery. The battery inside these amps is 12 volts, so definately Niks suggestion is the way to go.
gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-05, 10:32 AM   #9
The Pretty Good

Send a message via AIM to The Pretty Good

right the battery is 12V. The charger for the amp can in 15V. if you want to charge the bttery directly use a 12V charger. If you want to use the charger that just plugs right into the Amp Can its 15V. Can someone look at the one they have and tell us what is says.
Old 05-21-05, 05:35 PM   #10
Mr Qwirk
... ___ ...

Lightbulb

charger 15VDC 400mA,

thats what mine says!

just for the record, ive charged mine with a 15V charger for the past 3 years, and its still going strong!
I also remember turning up on pitch one day after accidently charging on the 12V setting, and the CAN being completly flat!, not enough juice for the red light to show or anything!!!

but thats just my experience...
Mr Qwirk is offline   Reply With Quote