performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > BUSKING Q&A/GENERAL PERFORMING TOPICS

Old 05-09-05, 10:35 PM   #41
Daniel Craig

Send a message via ICQ to Daniel Craig

Ivan,

I truly think you've hit the nail on the head- I remember one of the first things that was ever told to me about street performing back in 2000, or it may have been 2001. I remember it very very well and it's something I'll never forget.

JP, one day, did what the rest of us thought was a suicide show- Sunday, at noon, to a church crowd. He came back afterwards jubilant, and I remember him looking at a couple of us with a stack of fivers in his hand, as he averted his gaze down to the bills in his palm saying:

"I can't believe there are this many!"

I looked at his hand, in which a wad of fivers, many tens and the occasional twenty were grasped. I was younger and in awe- In awe that someone was even capable of making that much money at all from a single show, never mind a Sunday at noon. I looked back up at him and asked a simple question.

"How?"

And he looked down at his bounty, and he looked up at me and imparted a seemingly obvious truth that escapes a lot of us. He said:

"It's not what you do, it's how you do it, and who you are."

And how true that is. Also Ivan, I'm very flattered that you consider me one of those performers... I hold you and Loki in the same high regard.

But as you said it, the audiences fall in love with performers for completely different reasons, whether it be outstanding skill, comic timing, a never say die attitude, boundless energy, dry wit, pure confidence, or even being a complete underdog but using that apparent weakness. It's the strongest shows that know what their own strengths and weaknesses are, and can use that to create a personality and chemistry...

That being said though, skill helps, it's true. No one leaves because a trick is too impressive.

And I've ranted too now, so.. </rant>

Last edited by Daniel Craig; 05-10-05 at 01:04 PM.
Daniel Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-05, 07:48 AM   #42
martin ewen

Lurk Thanks

That was great to read first thing in the morning.
Came very close to substituting my coffee.
I agree that at the heart of it it's about a relationship. The audience want the opportunity to like you and as importantly they want you to like them. Make that happen and you've succeeded.
martin ewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-05, 08:22 PM   #43
Road Mage

Quote:
Originally posted by J-P
SSSHHHH!! don't tell everyone, owen.
Oh shit! I mean.. ahem... I mean sorry about that post, dunno WHAT I was talking about - must have been the madness setingin, Dublin does that to ya.

All the best

Owen
www.roadmage.com
"Why Don't We Do It In The Road" - Lennon & McCartney
Road Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-05, 07:36 PM   #44
ALAKAZAM

Cool THE POLE

ALright now let me tell you all the story of how my pole came about,maybe it'll get Gav off my back here.
First pole I ever saw was in funny bones [lee evans] didn't cross my mind to do that in a show at that point.I was still in school.
Then my first year overseas street performing[97] i met Andy Taffs [in vancouver] who told me about his pole show,sounded pretty cool,i asked him why he didn't do it anymore,he liked the crate stack better.
About the same time in vancouver, i met tom comet who had a twelve foot unicycle,and i kikas show [up till then the two biggest show's id seen were him and lucky rich....both giraffe unicycles.]
SO I started to realise that being up real high get's you the big crowds and the big cash.So the seed was planted.I was gonna get a 12 foot unicycle.
Too bad i can't ride one.
SO i decided id by a 12 foot unicyle and take off the wheel and have a few guys under me holding it straight up and i'd sit on it and juggle fire,people would see me from afar and think i was riding it.
After that summer i went to taste of tasmania and saw another guy who did a pole act [Mark Sands,now in Popeyed] he did exactly what i was thinking but with a long steel pole,8 guys at the bottom holding him up.I was back to the pole idea because it was cheaper than buying a DM 12 footer.
It wasn't till 3 months later i checked out perth and did the freo pitch only to see GAV doing a pole with ropes attatched.......ingenious,he only needed 3 guys and it looked much safer than mark's pole.
SO the rope's came from gav ,total kudos to him for that idea ,but the pole began almost a year before i met him.
The next nth american season i debuted the pole,in new orleans,i knew my new show would need work so i went where i knew nobody and could work everyday.
I worked there ,new york ,bosotn and canada that year and made an impression all over.
I give total props to gav though,he's a great show and a fun guy.You know it shits me that every twat has a pole now,from Arizona jones to that dude bruce[he walks around like he's the god of street performing,and he ripped off every line from bikeboy even wears seans old clothes...and.....speaks exactly like sean in his show,complete and total ripoff]But what can you do......

Move on

My band is going quite well,we are working with Radioheads producer for our debut CD,anyone wanna check us out,you can hear our demo at
www.humankindband.com

Now ya'll can talk.
AL.

ALAKAZAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-05, 08:05 PM   #45
ALAKAZAM

Cool P.S

Oh yeah

The stirrups came from "strange fruit" [sway pole] who i saw in my first year street performing [summer 96] at darling harbour.

Rock on
AL

Old 05-26-05, 12:11 AM   #46
Jim
Your Host

Club

Al,

Can I have your pole after you sign a record deal? I doubt you're going to need it in a year or so. I just need to figure out how to rola bola up there.

Jim
Old 05-26-05, 08:44 AM   #47
UCO

I think maybe you should put it up for auction, or keep it and it will end up in a hotel or the rock and roll howl of fame.
After reading this thread I am covinced that if i did a pole with all the finales put together I might put down the box and find a prop that stands erect so I would feel like a child again.
Or maybe pirorets with a pole in my ass could be the "Pole in my Hole Show."
Sorry being evil has no tact.
AL, What about antwerp? you mentioned something to me last summer? Pitch/permit?
Old 05-26-05, 11:22 AM   #48
gav

Default Re: THE POLE

Quote:
Originally posted by ALAKAZAM
ALright now let me tell you all the story of how my pole came about,maybe it'll get Gav off my back here.
AL.
How is it that I am on your back? I haven't even seen you for over a year.
Hey lets do that duo show you talked of and then I can stand on your shoulders up the pole and really be on your back !
Someone asked is all and I answered.
Hows it going anyway man? Where are you now? US?
That pic you sent me was indeed the pitch in Zagreb, one of them anyway. It's up and down , people only make 400 euro a month here. We do have a festival coming up and then things are better.
If my experiment making a fibreglass pole works out, do you want to buy 1 from me?

Last edited by gav; 05-26-05 at 11:28 AM.
gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-05, 01:28 PM   #49
ALAKAZAM

Cool

Then about 6 months later I here he's doing a pole act in Sydney. He'll even tell you it that way round these days, but he still claims to have had the idea before he saw me doing it.
posted by Gav

That's the only reason i said you were "on my back"

Alls good here,i'm living in Boston,doing shows when i can but the band is taking over my life,rehearsals are every day at 10.30am,we are kicking ass though,practice makes ROCK.
UCO...Antwerp pitch at the front door of the cathdral,you get a permit from the 7th floor of the Tollhouse [it's on the river,walk away from the pitch towards the water,when you hit the water turn right and walk until you see a building on your right called the tollhouse.] You can't perform when they have mass,or after 11pm.

When we sign a contract, i'll sell my pole to the highest bidder on ebay,and they can then stuff it as far up their ass as it will go.
One last thing i've been wanting to say to everybody.........

IT AIN'T THE POLE............................

AL.

Old 05-26-05, 05:28 PM   #50
Magic Brian

Wink

IT AIN'T THE POLE............................

I know what it is! It's your cool accent and skillful juggling!... right?
Magic Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-05, 09:46 PM   #51
Dom

New Zealand

..and maybe the first one was..

..photo's of Circo Morelli (Eagle) taken in 1987 at the Zurich Theater Spektakel , Switzerland by yours truly..

..and yes there are volunteers holding the ropes..

..Al, your description of how you got up there was real insightful.

By the way, you mentioned seeing Strange Fruit at Darling Harbour in 1996. Well, check this out. The couple from Australia mentioned earlier in this thread doing the pole and safety net act were Richard and Caroline from Melbourne at the time and were regulars on the pitch at Southgate in the early 90's. They split up and Richard then became a founding member of.. you guessed it.. Strange Fruit..

And here's possibly another pole first.. Al & Gav were the first duo pole routine I've ever seen. And not just doing their two solo poles in the same show, but they were actually linked together as you'd rig two poles for a tightrope, facing each other and passing torches in the high winds of Fremantle in 2002.

www.dom.zip.com.au
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-05, 11:16 PM   #52
Lynneski

Ahhh, brings to mind one (of many) favourite group show moments from over the years:

Al on 'is pole, Tom Comet and Jean Michel on giraffes, and Michiel on stage, box passing clubs with an occasional giraffe pas de deux mid-house. Sounds simple now, yeah, but then it was the height (yes, pun intended) of sublime.
Old 05-27-05, 04:11 AM   #53
gav

Well done for digging up those photos Dom.
I think we can lay this thread to rest now.
Actually lets just change the question.
Who was the first duo to do the classic 6 club pass cigarette knock out routine?
and who was the first to squeeze through a coat hanger ?
gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-05, 01:00 PM   #54
Butterfly Man
Refurbished Member

Club

The first juggling act to knock a cig out of the mouth ... The Juggling Jacksons ... up til then carrots and celery were used.

The first one to squeeze through a coathanger was Gazzo ... he was born anyway.
Old 05-27-05, 06:11 PM   #55
ALAKAZAM

Wink

Skillfull juggling???
Glad it's all settled,you know that guy in the photo got it from somewhere else who got it from somewhere else who got it from some circus back in the 1800's,doesn't mean it doesn't hurt when someone rips off your routine...the way YOU do it!! That is the part that shits me.I turn up to pitches now and there are guys i've never met doing parts of my show word for word,and in some cases WITH MY ACCENT !!!!,and do they give me respect.... or attitude,you take a guess.

AL

Old 05-27-05, 07:19 PM   #56
UCO

Don't we all feel better knowing thats all clear, a timeline of experience has been passed on instead of stolen. I certainly do.
AL: Don't be sad,
Rock and roll life has got to be a more cut throat of biz.
Thanks for the tip on antwerp by the way. Do you remember how much it was?