performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > SPECIFIC PITCHES/CITIES/COUNTRIES

Old 02-12-05, 01:30 AM   #1
berseus

Japan The score in Japan

Hi Guys.

I'm just wondering what the score is in Japan for circle shows. I'm heading there in a couple of weeks and it would be good to know what to do and not and where to go. Where are the established pitches and are there permit schemes?

Also if anyone knows good/cheap places to stay I would really appreciate your advice.

Cheers
--
Charlie
berseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-05, 04:01 AM   #2
AJJames

Default japan

The score in Japan,
don't show your tatoos,

Learn a few lines in Japanese,
not as hard as it seems, as its the only asian language I know that is phonetic,

try these spots,
euno cohen, yamasta cohen(yokohama), shinjuku, hrajaku
if the police tell you to leave, just pretend to leave , then come back, the Japanese have difficulty with the concept of rebellion.
If the yakusa tell you to leave the pitch, do it for real, and politely.
as for accomodation, theres a well known gaijin house in ota ku,

Teacher's Lodge Guest House
Ota-ku, Tokyo Ikegami Line/Ishikawadai stn. 5 min walk

Key money Deposit (Yen)
48,000~

phone-03-3748-0487
as for other tips in general, try this link
http://www.hiraganatimes.com/hp/acom...n01-007-e.html

Last edited by AJJames; 02-12-05 at 04:07 AM.
AJJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-05, 04:33 AM   #3
berseus

Hey there.

Thanks a lot man. Remind me if we ever meet and I'll buy you a pint or two.

Does anyone else have any other advice?

What kind of Japanese should I learn by the way? I've done my homework and can say and understand some basic things, but should I have someone translate my bottleing speech for instance? It'll feel weird to speak English and suddenly slip into Japanese when it's time to tell them how much to pay. Any general advice guys (as this applies to all performance in languages you don't know).

cheers
--
Charlie
Old 02-15-05, 11:02 AM   #4
Butterfly Man
Refurbished Member

Japan Japanese Language for Shows

all stuff pronounced phonetically

Dozo.............please......come

ko ko ....................... here

Henna Guy zhing ................strange foreigner

oo go ka na eday.................don't move

die Jo boo..........it's ok , no problem , don't worry

chotto matte ................just a minute use this all the time ....every trick

yoku mitte kudasai...................... watch this!

honto..............................truth used to agree with someone or say “really?”

uso........................................lie used to disagree

Cho die...........................give me

tas ket te kudasigh.....................help me

atama eee des.................good head ( I am smart)

ichi nee sun saaaaay no ....... 1,2,3 go

Amerika Kara Kimash ta.........I come from America

sa wa ra na i de .............................don't touch

kase wa wata she no teki des .............the wind is my enemy

say haji may ma show ................let's start now

Josee des nay .............................you are so skilled!

ee ma ......................................now!

yo ka ta ne..................................that was good!

psycho ............................the best real cool!

do ko ee ku no .........................slang where are you going gets a laugh if someone leaves

te bioshee...............clap in rhythum audience applaudes in rhythum

Me na sahn e sho nee .........every body together!

onay guy shemas..........................polite expreesion for “please do”

Nihongo no kodomo wa kuai des ne ?......Japanese kids are cute aren't they?

toe fu no kado ni atama o butsketi shena ....

.................you are so dumb that if you bumbed your head on the corner of a piece of tofu you would die...

super gujin hotondo nihon jin......... super foreigner almost Japanese

sarru mo key karra o chee roo....even occasionally a monkey falls from a tree for mistakes

anata wa shin set tsu des........................you are very kind

tet su dah te ..................help me (ask for volunteer) work

ita daki mas ..........................bon appatite only if you eat something

hok shoo kudasi.......................applause please keep asking after each trick

mo ee chee doe..............................one more time

o na ma a wa nan des ka ? ..........................what is your name ?

hagi me mashite........................nice to meet you

mo sue goo show ga haji mali mas............there is a show starting soon

key o tsu kete .....................please be careful

die joe boo ..............................are you ok? or don't worry, I’m OK asked like a question

genki des ka ?..................how are you feeling?

o tsu karaa sah ma desh ta ........thank you for your hard work! use this a lot!!!

I also have a hat line if you need it ... let me know ... Gambatte! ((good ruck))
Old 02-17-05, 04:16 AM   #5
berseus

Wow, this is good stuff Mr Butterfly Man.

I take my hat of and figure I owe you a few drinks as well.

I've had my own hat lines translated by a sweet lass so I'll be fine in that department though many thanks. Awesome stuff.

cheers
--
Charlie
Old 02-21-05, 01:39 PM   #6
miquee

just out of curiosity.... why not show tattoos?
Old 02-26-05, 09:07 PM   #7
Zack!

In Japan, only gangsters wear tattoos. Its a cultural thing that goes back to the Edo period.
Zack! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-05, 11:12 AM   #8
Butterfly Man
Refurbished Member

Butterfly Honto

True, the yakusa (Japanese mafia) wear a lot of tattoos ... and to be fair many bathhouses (and some hotsprings) have signs prohibiting the display of them ... BUT ... unless you are Japanese you are not subject to this rule ... all foreigners are considered "gaijin" ... and they don't hold us accountable.

Many years ago, when I got my first gig in Japan I was so nervous about performing there I went out and bought an expensive toupee to cover up the inkspots on my head ... I tried my 1st show without it and NEVER wore the wig ever again (for shows)... because they L-O-V-E-D my head ... remember also, I ended up marrying one of them ... so they don't seem to hold it against us off stage either.

BTW I just saw a show on PBS which said the rise of tattoos amongst layfolks (uh, that would be non-gangsters I guess) had increased dramatically.
It must be true ... as I was returning to the US last week I sat next to a young girl who had ink on both of her cute little biceps ... I couldn't stop from smiling as she was only about 4'10'' ... I so wanted to go up to her and show her my head ... my wife wouldn't let me.
Old 03-13-05, 10:13 AM   #9
berseus

Default Licencing in Tokyo

Since someone asked about licensing I now know how it works in Tokyo the hard way.

Tokyo has a fairly new licensing system called Heaven Artist Licence. You can find some information on the web but it'll mainly be in Japanese.

Which is just as well cause as I found out (also the hard way) Japan is tough as hell to work unless you speak the Lingo. NOONE speaks bloody english. I'll do a joke that normally never fails and two people in the audience will laugh their ass off and the rest will just look at me like I'm some sort of medical experiment. The other option would of course be to have a completely silent show with only music or something but that's not what I want to do and so I'm fairly screwed until I learn better Japanese. And I'm only around for a couple of weeks.

Oh, and that License can only be gotten through an audition. It is once a year and it's not fucking now I can tell you that. And they won't even consider handing out a temporary one even though I was waving licences from three different countries and a PLI around.

I can also tell you it's pretty humbling experience to come from an english-speaking country where my show was a worker and held a certain standard and suddenly it feels like it did when I was just starting out (with walk-offs at strange moments and the like). When the talking that pads out visually dead parts of the show is not in any way understood it becomes readily apparent that dead is what it is.

It doesn't then help that I've gotten more shows stopped by cops and park guards than I've been able to finish and that Japan is a bloody expensive country to travel.

If I sound bitter it's because I kind of am. But it's gotten better by meeting some really great people and hey - I'm going snowboarding tomorrow for the first time in seven years.

Just thought I should update this thread with my new knowledge in case other people are interested.

cheers
--
Charlie
Old 06-01-05, 02:26 AM   #10
Butterfly Man
Refurbished Member

Japan if you knew sushi, like I knew sushi

Recently, it has come to my attention that many street performer spots are starting to opening up in Japan because a certain Japanese dignitaries frequenting foreign countries and saw a plethora of street entertainment and thought Japan needed to compete with those foreign cities.

A gentleman named Nakamura-san is the driving force behind it (I believe he was the guy in charge at Tempozan a few years back). I have no current contact info. on him but I will get back to you with if I find out it's cool.

Here's the deal with performing there ... adapt ...
yes, they laugh at different stuff ... no, they don't speak your language ... so what?

Too many countries speak English anyway ... fuckin' boring alphabet.
Old 06-01-05, 02:24 PM   #11
willow

I busked in Tokyo last year for about 3 months last year, Arabic drums and celtic fiddle. While not legal it's not hard to find places to play/perform (normally in front of train stations) and we were rarely hassled by the police who would only make us move on anyway. Most Japanese who busk don't really do it for the money but to advertise for upcoming shows and they go all out. Full on rock n roll bands with full sound systems and generators will set up and play on the street. We needed to make money however and by selling cd's we did. Even though we spoke no Japanese we were able to work with all the other buskers we met so everyone got to perform without stepping on one another. Besides the phrases butterfly man gave here's one to help with that:

Nanji made desu-ka?
(nanji ma day dess ka)
What time do you finish?

And if you are selling cd's here's a good speech for your finish:

Kite itta daite, arigato gozaimashita. Watakshitachi wa CD wo hatsubai shite imasu-ka. moshi yokattara kata mite kudasai. nedan wa ni sen yen shika kakarimasen no de. yoroshiku onegaishimasu, arigato ne.

(kitay ita daitay, ahhrigato gozaimashta. Watakshitachi wa CD wo hahhtsuby shtay imasska. moshi yokattara kata mitay kudasai. naydon wa ni sen yen shka kakarimasen no day. yoroshku onahgaishimass, ahhrigato ne.)

Pretty much means "thank you for listening, we have a new CD, if you like us please buy it. it' only two thousand yen (about $18) thank you very much."

Some good spots to play in Tokyo are Shinjuku station East exit or south exit (under the tower records), Shibuya station near the statue of moai, hon atsugi station on the odakyu line. I've also heard ikebukuro station is good although I haven't played there.
cheers,
Willow
willow is offline   Reply With Quote