performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > SPECIFIC PITCHES/CITIES/COUNTRIES

Old 05-25-01, 10:20 AM   #1
Peter Voice

Post Toronto

I was wondering if anyone could tell us about cheap, short-term, performer friendly accommodation in Toronto.
We, (http://www.chalkcircle.com.au/) love the place and might have a week or so off mid-Aug. Bev and Ulla thought it would be a good place to hang out and do something.
Any info on permits and pitches would be good but remember we're pavement artists, not jugglers. We will probably end up making it up as we go, but any and all assistance will be appreciated. How's Queen St. and Kensington Market, is anything happening in Bloore-Yorkville?

[This message has been edited by Peter Voice (edited 05-25-2001).]
Old 06-14-01, 02:15 PM   #2
stickman

Apple

Queen street is workable. Young St by the Eaton Center might be as good if not better for you. Kensington Market would be interesting, but I haven't noticed any large amounts of pavement for you. Permits for walk-by, circle shows are availible from a small office on the street behind city hall. (Can't remember the exact address) Not sure if they'd require it from you anyhow. Suppopsed to be a buskers festival up by the yorkville area, though I never personally worked it. As for accomedation, only thing I can think of off the top of my head is the youth hostels on Church street near Queen. (Probally better alteritives)

Personally I do circle shows/some walk-by so most of my info is normally based on that. Hope it helps anyhow.

Stickman
Http://www.weeble.org
stickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-01, 11:40 AM   #3
Lynneski

Apple

Peter, for accoms you can check with a place that's normally a cooperative student residence throughout the school year, but operates as a hotel in the summer. It's right across the street from Ryerson U, on (I believe) the corner or Church & Gerrard Sts. Very downtown. They have accom options that range from dorm-style to private.

It's called Neill-Wycik College Hotel and phone is 416-977-2320. Rates are tres reasonable for downtown.

Ta,
Lynne
Old 06-21-01, 04:48 AM   #4
Peter Voice

Thanks so much guys.
And for Jim, thanks too, this site can really help.