performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > FESTIVAL DISCUSSIONS

Old 04-28-05, 03:20 PM   #21
le pire

PAL is a region encoding for VHS in the UK. A region-free DVD clears up this issue.

I agree with you both. As a performer, you don't want to just "give away the farm" and let's face it, we all have to watch out for out own asses. But at the same time, when there is a festival or agency or organisation that has a reputation for sticking it to performers, we really should work together. One group or performer may benefit in the short term, but in the long run everyone loses.

Some festivals / agents / organisations DO play acts against each other, or try to make artists feel guilty or lucky that they are "allowing us to perform for their audiences." A good lesson is the contract negotiations in Cirque du Soliel's "Fire Within."

The relationship between performer and festival / agent / organisation should be mutally benificial. But let's face it, with out us, what do they have? An empty stage. If everyone sticks together and lets them know that we are all aware of this they may (and should) change their song.

Case in point, there is a local street fair here in Cambridge where the organiser was EXTREMELY difficult meeting the basic needs of pitches and locations ("What's wrong with having you next to the rock band? I don't see the problem with having the pitch up a hill and tucked away on a side alley"). They really took the attitude that street performers should feel lucky to be "given this opportunity." Finally we all had enough and told them that none of us were going to show up and good luck with their fair and maybe we can work something out next year. The did a 180, doubled the money they were providing and made substantial changes, including (surprise, surprise) the tiniest amount of respect. We stuck together and got some results.

I think most people here do have a lot of respect for festivals / agents / and organisers. It's a very involved, time consuming, headache filled job. We just don't want to be taken advantage of. Let's face it, the reason 200,000 or so people show up to these events is for the entertainment, not to buy greasy food and certainly not because Pepsi is a sponsor.

Etienne
le pire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-05, 07:40 PM   #22
Mr Qwirk
... ___ ...

New Zealand

"PAL is a region encoding for VHS in the UK. A region-free DVD clears up this issue."

not exactly, PAL is not a region encoding at all, but more a different broadcasting system, tied up more with the fact that the US, Canada and Japan all operate their electricity supplies at 60Hz, rather than 50Hz like the UK, Europe and Australasia!

PAL is a "newer" broadcasting technology, and is widely regarded as being superior to North America's NTSC system. there is also SECAM, which i think Russia, and maybe france use!

you are right though, encoding your DVD as non regional will most likely allow it to be played all the world over, but if the producer doesnt have a TV/DVD player/or computer that can play the NTSC format, the Region free coded doesnt really matter - and still may not be able to be viewed!

DVD regions are entirely an different story!
it was setup, so that DVD releases can be "timed" ie... release UK version in May, then an Australian version in June, without fear of copies being leaked early into the different market.

In saying all that though, generally a producer will have a DVD player on their computer, and computers usually arnt to fussy about NTSC/PAL - so you region free DVD (in either format) will most likely work!

-what a mouthful-
Mr Qwirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-05, 08:17 PM   #23
le pire

Thumbs Up

That's what I meant.
le pire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-05, 09:38 PM   #24
Butterfly Man
Refurbished Member

Butterfly You've come a long way baby ...

In my day we just scratched our promo on a rock near the watering hole.
Old 04-29-05, 04:54 AM   #25
gav

Default careful now

You guys better watch it. Someones gona come along and tell you to stick to the topic !
Great technical stuff, but I'm quite sure he meant PAL in an entirely different way.
gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-05, 09:39 AM   #26
Stretch

Default They are feeding you?

Food is included? That should be interesting!

http://www.stiltwalker.com/

http://www.bubbletower.com/

http://www.youtube.com/stiltpro

http://stiltpro.blogspot.com/
Stretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-05, 12:41 PM   #27
USA BREAK DANCERS

Ass

No Gav your the only one who needs to stick to the topic everyone els is just having fun. You need to watch what your saying.
USA BREAK DANCERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-05, 03:53 AM   #28
gav

Default ?

Just exactly what is your problem with me ?
What have I said to offend you ?
Why do you come on so aggresive ?
I've never even met you, and all I did was suggest you might find out more info about the festival you are going to and then share it with the rest of us. What's the problem ?
You should be the one to watch what you say. Obviously you're just starting to perform in europe, and you're already on the wrong side of one festival orginiser.

Last edited by gav; 05-02-05 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-05-05, 11:13 AM   #29
USA BREAK DANCERS

USA

"Surely the USA break dancers couldn't afford to go if travel wasn't being paid for."
That is what you said right Gav? I take that as an insult.
Old 05-05-05, 11:46 AM   #30
martin ewen

Lurk

You are based in NY, the gigs in Europe, you are a multi-member group, long distance airfares are expensive. The airfares are an obvious expense.
If making reference to them in connection with the viability of this gig is an insult then your going to go ballistic over what I say about your mum.
Inventing enemies is only fun if it gains you something.
Gav's only tried to help and if the suggestion that you share info (that I agree you have the right to see as confidential) doesn't appeal. Then just don't do it. It was never a fucking command so it's weird you get all twisted over it.
Enjoy the gig.
martin ewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-05, 03:50 PM   #31
gav

Default thanks martin

I'm glad someone can see my point.
I was in no way implying that you don't have the money to travel. In fact I think you probably have more money than me. The phrase you quoted was purely an observation that given you are a duo or trio and that you would be flying from usa to norway it would seem unlikely that you would decide to pay for your own travel for such a gig.
I'm glad you've got a good deal from these guys and I hope you have a good time there.
Old 05-06-05, 12:48 AM   #32
Dan The One Man Band
Original Member

Default Insult alert

Gav said:
Quote:
In fact I think you probably have more money than me.
I think this could be taken as an insult!! It's best to just smile and nod...And move on.

DTOMB
Old 05-06-05, 03:56 AM   #33
gav

Default jesus

The following sentences will be followed by a smile and a nod and a move on.
How could the line you just quoted be taken as an insult? It's purely an observation that I don't have very much money at the moment because I just spent 6 months not working.
Old 05-06-05, 06:18 AM   #34
martin ewen

Lurk what a showoff!

The hits keep coming..
" I just spent 6 months not working."
martin ewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-05, 10:02 AM   #35
Barry

"and you're already on the wrong side of one festival orginiser." hey gav, does this mean you are a organiser of festivals?? hey usa's, i know this wanders slightly off topic, but it does interest me and this question springs up in this meandering thread, also i gave an answer 'bout norway.
cheers, barry
Old 05-06-05, 04:00 PM   #36
gav

Default the things we do for love

Trust me Martin, it wasn't completely by choice.
Yeah Barry, my wife and I are the street performance coordinators for Festival Cest is D' Best here in Zagreb.
It's certainly interesting working both sides of the fence.
Old 07-03-05, 08:36 AM   #37
gav

so anyone got an update on this event?
It's over now, so surely there are words to be said. I'll ask others that were there.
Old 07-03-05, 08:06 PM   #38
USA BREAK DANCERS

The street performer theater part of the festival was not the best , crowds were very small in numbers. The people there were very generous. Unfortunately not enough of them attended this years event, some of it had to do with the weather. My group was compensated for the opening ceremonies performance and we were guaranteed funding for each performance we did on the streets just incase the hats were not big enough we also got a gig at there local prison. Having said that our group made out pretty well. As far as accommodations I asked for hotel rooms they did even better we got one side of a bed and breakfast home we lived there alone complete with private bath room,kitchen,lounge with television,2 bedrooms and internet access, Oh and free breakfast every morning, we were very very comfortable. Our travel expenses were paid in full by the festival to and from the airport. I think if you have a strong act and you can negotiate well with the festival producer it's worth doing also the time of year it's in was perfect for us since it runs 2 weeks before all the big festivals here in United States and Canada it's a great way to start the summer, we'll do it again.

Last edited by USA BREAK DANCERS; 07-03-05 at 08:13 PM.