performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS... > PROMO STUFF (MARKETING, MEDIA, ETC.)

Old 05-14-05, 04:53 PM   #21
scot

Send a message via AIM to scot

nice post steven. I'm integrating text and vector into video coming soon to my site. It's all really hard.
Old 05-15-05, 12:19 AM   #22
Steven Ragatz

Warning!: Tech-talk following...

I don't know the exact syntax of Flash, but I understand the structural basics. I would suggest attaching an action script function to the video object itself that polls the frame property of the video. If you store your frame cue points as frame counts in an array (a sorted array used as a makeshift stack), then this function can check to see if the video has passed the top-most cue-point of the array, if it has, then trigger the visible property of the appropriate text movie clip and increment the array index.

The function videoFrameLoop() would be called each time the playback head enters a new frame on the main timeline.

myCues = array([100, 350, 734, 1020])
myTextMC = array(["text1", "text2", "text3", "text4"])
movieClip = array([movieClipObj1, movieClipObj2, movieClipObj3, movieClipObj4])
currentCue = 1

function videoFrameLoop {
// make sure that we are not accessing a cue later than one stored
if currentCue <= myTextMC.count {
// if the movie has passed the last cue
if videoMovieClip.frame > = myCues[currentCue] {
// all ok, so show the text (could be a gotoandplay if animation)
movieClip[myTextMC[currentCue]].visible = true
// move on to the next cue
currentCue = currentCue + 1
}
}
}

This obviously is not ActionScript syntax, but is pseudo-code that will do what I was describing.

This may not be anything like what you are doing, but it seemed like a good idea to post it in spite of the three margaritas floating in my head.

Steven Ragatz

Last edited by Steven Ragatz; 05-15-05 at 12:02 PM.
Steven Ragatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-05, 03:18 PM   #23
scot

Send a message via AIM to scot
Scot

It would be easier to set the array values to keys that match your keyframes. EG:
cueArray[100] = "text1";

And, even easier than that, you can just import the movie and go through the clip inserting animations in the timeline. That's what I'll be doing.

I didn't know you were such a computer geek, Steve.
Old 07-21-05, 03:13 PM   #24
Hunter

Apple

I'm currently one of the college video geeks being exploited by peoples everywhere because I'm broke - and as a member of this crowd I can assure you we all love it.

Hire college students to do your promo videos for you and you will have an decent chance of getting some excellent results from someone just starting up. Don't feel bad about jipping them if they don't even have a demo reel to show, they need to get one together and a symbiotic relationship is a great jumping off point. They get 'professional experience' and you get cheap labor.

For those of you who aren't feeling the tech-talk, visit http://www.flashkit.com They have sample movies you can download and analyze to figure out your own way- and also tutorials on anything you could possibly want to do in flash.

That said; quicktime's newest free version has excellent support of the .mp4 file format. This allows better quality compression than .mov files at a fraction of the size. Because my web content is focused on quality of video for projects I direct photography on I've spent a lot of time with Sorenson Squeeze; which is one of the best compressors out there. If you feel quality is the most important thing to your, lets say nighttime glowball performance, this may be worth looking into.

As a side note; performers; sound design is HUGE, and it seems to be consistantly the worst component of the promos I've seen. One of the most impressive parts of a fire poi act is hearing the flame whip through the air. Take the time to record from a wireless lapel; 30 minutes of so and get the whole act. Point a shotgun mic straight at yourself during the act to get the hit of the clubs on your hands. This is completely honest as it's not even truly foley work; it's compiling data of the same action. I've got a good deal of experience with sounds design as well, and I can say with 100% certainty that some extra care with audio can do wonders more than a mills mess in time with a pop-song you don't have the rights to use.

“Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business. -Tom Robbins

Last edited by Hunter; 07-21-05 at 03:16 PM.
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote