performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > BUSKING Q&A/GENERAL PERFORMING TOPICS

Old 08-12-05, 06:14 PM   #21
USA BREAK DANCERS

USA

Yo Al your ma boy and I like you but I have to agree with Jim on this. If your one of the "privileged" acts that work in the "official pitch" inside of Fanuil hall you should make some room for those who are not as fortunate as you are to work in the main pitch.
I think if you do 2 slots in the main pitch then you shoudn't worry about what goes on at the secondary pitch and leave that to the people who need it.
As far as them going to audition for fanuil hall like every one els, if it's a break dance group your talking about that's already been attempted and the groups were discriminated against because of the nature of there act. Not one "privileged act" spoke out to Fanuil hall marketing or even voiced there opinion on P-net not one of them said "THAT'S NOT FAIR." Al your on the street's when your on that pitch there is no rules you have to earn your respect there's no marketing people there to protect you, i'm not saying you need them. I know your act is good and you come from the hard core streets of Australia your not like most of these pampered acts that work under the protection of a marketing team. I'm just trying to tell you kind of shit has been going on down there for years the break dance groups have been working that pitch for years alot more then seven years. I know some of them could be hard to work with but all of them are not like that.

Last edited by USA BREAK DANCERS; 08-12-05 at 06:24 PM.
USA BREAK DANCERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-05, 08:09 PM   #22
ALAKAZAM

Thumbs Up

Hey mate
I was actually talking about the english circus troop in this thread.But as it happens now since i've been away,there are 2 breakdance acts from N.Y.come in and kicking other acts off the spot,threatening them with violence.So tommorrow Me and about 5 other acts are gonna show up and get in line on the spot with them,just to say "hey" we won't be muscled out.
These guys are different from you cats,you have it sorted,you have a family friendly show,you are nice friendly people and you work well with others.These guys are not in the same league,They hog the spot,leave their stuff all over the pitch while the other acts are on,graffiti the statue,threaten other acts,and are way too busy trying to look cool to actually have an entertaining show.
So even though it's the streets and we have to deal with this shit as a part of our job,everyone has to be able to do a show,we have to take care of each other,some acts out there are just selfish.
See ya in windsor.
AL.

ALAKAZAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-05, 09:47 PM   #23
USA BREAK DANCERS

if it's a break dance group your talking about that's already been attempted and the groups were discriminated against because of the nature of there act.

Last edited by USA BREAK DANCERS; 08-13-05 at 12:47 AM.
Old 08-12-05, 10:47 PM   #24
USA BREAK DANCERS

That's kool, I said "if it is a break dance group". I'm just giving you an idea of what's going down out there and why there's so much tention at that pitch. I believe if your in the program in fanuil hall and worked any time that day or weekend in the main pitch some time should be left for other acts who did not work at all that weekend and don't have the luxury of working the main pitch. If my group were there waiting to work but some one that just did a show in the main pitch is in line before me then after that same act has annother show scheduled in the main pitch I would find that unfair and selfish. I would not have any respect for that kind of greed. Since the alternate pitch is on the street's and there's no rules the only way it would work is with comon curtesy for other street act's like your self. To me it's not fair unless every body has the same cards in there hands meaning all of the acts can work both pitches unfortunately that's not the case. the same way you can say "hey they should have auditioned" is the same way those other acts can say why should we wait in a line up this is the streets F that i'm doing my show and they can do it, who's going to stop them? It's the street's public property it's open to anyone there's no rules that say you have to extend curtesy to anyone no matter how many performers get together and try and regulate the pitch. Remember not even the city of Boston could deny some one there right to express themselves that's why that pitch is now open because some one sued the city and won that is why we can work that pitch in the first place you think a couple street acts will be able to overturn a supreme court decision. God bless America!

Last edited by USA BREAK DANCERS; 08-13-05 at 12:43 AM.
Old 08-13-05, 12:48 AM   #25
USA BREAK DANCERS

Quote:
Originally posted by USA BREAK DANCERS
if it's a break dance group your talking about that's already been attempted and the groups were discriminated against because of the nature of there act.
Old 08-13-05, 01:08 AM   #26
circusboy90210

Default hey man....

how about this I worked in a mall for quite a while ..... like this ... first come first serve .... the early bird gets' the worm... why should anyone have to sacrifice any part of a day's income to someone who was not willing to do what it takes ... especially if you developed the pitch.. have more talent ... were there first ....etc...... only the fittest survive right?? what I can't handle is physical intimidation, that's out man don't like the rules live with it right does not make right... angel
circusboy90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-05, 12:20 AM   #27
harmonicakev

Default huh?

"that's why that pitch is now open because some one sued the city and won"

Someone did sue; Stephen Baird, on behalf of the Street Arts and Buskers Advocates.
http://www.communityartsadvocates.org

There will be a press conference next week to talk about the CONTINUING court case; nothing has been won yet...people are still being harassed in other parts of the city, and it's not clear what the legal status of Government Center Plaza (across the street from Sam Adams Park) might be.

not to mention the future Rose Kennedy Greenway!

by the way, does this hip-hop dance/basketball/acrobat group have a name?
harmonicakev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-05, 08:44 AM   #28
harmonicakev

Default the saga continues...

story in Thursday Boston Globe: http://www.boston.com/ae/theater_art..._market_melee/

press conference is on Tuesday..Boston Common...10 am.

btw - that survival of the fittest thing didn't just start this year, Peter G.
Ciao - Kev
harmonicakev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-05, 11:29 AM   #29
USA BREAK DANCERS

USA

I took a look at the article,

It seems that most of the blame for the problems you guys have at the Samuil Adams pitch is because of Break Dancers from New York City, Bucket players and a family circus act. The article makes them sound out of control. I think a very large part of the problem is the "sanctioned performers" that come out of quincy market that try to get extra shows on top of what they already got in the main pitch. I know they have just as much rights to be threre as anyone els but that's not the point. On the street's there's no rules performers need to work together and do what's fair so that everyone can get some shows in. Some performers that work in quincy market can be a little greedy that's a really big problem also. Yes like they said in the article that location is prime real estate for performers and I believe it was writen to work to the advantage of the performers that work in quincy market. because the other performers outside of quincy market are effecting there income inside of fanuil hall. I disagree I think, this my opininion. One of the reasons is because to be frank some of the acts in fanuil hall suck the other reason is because some of those acts have been there to long people want to see something new not the same lame ass acts every year.
If anyone's offended by what I just said then your probably one of those lame ass act's I was talking about. I can almost guarantee that by the time it's all said and done there will be rules governed by the city that makes it possible for most of the acts who work inside fanuil hall work freely in the samuil Adams spot and not anyone els that posses a threat to there prime real estate.
Like I said some of those acts in Fanuil hall are lame but there not stupid they no how to write proposals to covince the City to creat an ordinence to suit there needs. That works for them in fanuil hall these acts hide behind a marketing team ther. They can creat a similar team in city hall that works for them and protects them at the samuil Adams pitch. I see that happening in the near future I believe that article was writen just for that purpose so that rules can be put in place to control what goes on at that pitch.

Last edited by USA BREAK DANCERS; 08-26-05 at 11:40 AM.
Old 09-14-05, 12:44 PM   #30
Blake

Default Greed ?

Fair is as fair does i reckon. I personally would not be quibbling about a fly pitch in boston if i had sanction shows at the hall.
Extra shows!! whatre people complaining about.
Lifes for enjoying, pitch bitchin makes me wanna puke how can anyone do a nice show with all that agro.
Why not go do a show in the projects where there is heaps of people with nothing to do. They might appreciate it more than the rich tourists.

If there is one thing the street has taught me its that its what i am prepared to give that is important.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-05, 09:16 PM   #31
circusboy90210

Default really though...

all them cat's inside should chill the f**k out cause the stuff outside is exactly that , extra. take a break drinksome kawffeee . everyone needs and deserves ca$h for taking the immense risk involved in being a full time street worker, regaurdless of talent level. *(market forces will correct for this usually.) but to be so greedy as to try to push people out of a public space while you allready have a sure thing is ... well wrong .. get a life and get a clue people. remember the little people on the way up cause you will meet them again on the way down. angel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg waffle house 9-11-05 006.jpg (118.2 KB, 413 views)
Old 09-14-05, 11:52 PM   #32
jesus

Send a message via Yahoo to jesus
Default Circus boy

Dude, based on your photo, your making balloon animals in a Waffle House!
Of course you dont think anyone should play hard ball, its only 3.95 for scattered covered topped and chunked.
(i'm not mean i'm just drawn that way)

"an honorable and decent human being"
jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-05, 12:09 PM   #33
circusboy90210

Default that' where ...

that's where I put on my makeup & get ready for my regular gigs. Also don't knock the waffle cause i make like 20-30 bucks everytime i'm there just putting my clown makeup on, b4 I even go to make my real money
]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg waffle house 9-11-05 006.jpg (118.2 KB, 384 views)
Old 09-15-05, 12:29 PM   #34
martin ewen

Lurk .

Book of Lurk 3/7/16
"And Jesus came unto the waffle house and saw the pantomime and smote him and the people did look at the pantomime (who was increadably smoted) and did say. "what'd ya smote the panto for?"
and
" Hey thats not his real nose."
So Jesus unsmote him.
It was a miracle."
martin ewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-05, 12:52 PM   #35
jesus

Send a message via Yahoo to jesus
Default Blessed Be

I wonder if The Checkerboard Guy has ever gotten dressed in a Waffle House?
(Abstract but I like it)

"an honorable and decent human being"
jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-05, 10:26 PM   #36
Stretch

Default just a suggestion

try that with a white upper lip. Should make your facial expression more visable from a distance.

http://www.stiltwalker.com/

http://www.bubbletower.com/

http://www.youtube.com/stiltpro

http://stiltpro.blogspot.com/
Stretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-05, 11:50 AM   #37
Blake

Default Waffles

I like to make fun of crippled beggars cause it makes me feel better about having nothing useful to contribute to a discussion.....
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-05, 12:05 PM   #38
robtonto

Send a message via AIM to robtonto

I've used the Sam Adams pitch the past couple weekends. This past Saturday I was there for six hours straight and never got kicked off. Because I was doing balloons, and there was no other balloon artists.

I've seen what goes on at the show pitch. This past Saturday, Lucky and some other juggler traded off shows. I think they got through two each. In the middle of the other juggler's second show, some guys came over with drums and started making some noise. The juggler told them to quit it; they could play when his show was done. Once he finished, they launched into some drumming/martial arts demonstration that went on forever, so they both took off. Once their crowd was diminishing, a break dancing group started playing their music. They went into their same show over and over again.

People talk about there being no rules on the streets and complain about the greedy faneuil hall performers trying to get "extra" shows, but if there aren't rules on the street, shouldn't they have the same chance as the rest of us to perform?
robtonto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-05, 05:33 PM   #39
ALAKAZAM

Just to clear something up
Faneuil hall only gives each performer about 5 spots a month,and there are weekends when the main spot is taken up by an event who has paid to be there.
So any time i've wanted to work sam adams,it's because i have nothing else.
It aint about doing "extra" shows.

ALAKAZAM is offline   Reply With Quote