performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS... > PROMO STUFF (MARKETING, MEDIA, ETC.)

Old 11-05-05, 08:34 PM   #21
zoobie
www.BuskerAlley.com

Myspace may be alright if you put stuff into a private area then point to it. Problem is, new owners immediately copy the site when purchased. Even if you took off your songs, pics, or whatever from the public area, chances are they have a copy of it since it was part of the site when purchased last July. Listed as a teen site, there's a very real reason why it was bought for $580 million.

These new sites are merely doing the same thing in the hopes of being offered millions in a few years just like myspace.com. The thing is, myspace's new TOS is assuming the rights to property to sell and distribute as they see fit...usually to foreign markets. Perhaps the lawyers realized that US copyright laws don't apply to other countries or have to be registered with each and every country. I read up on US copyright law 20 years ago but it didn't cover foreign countries. Maybe there's another angle but I'm really not interested in conglomerates anyway.

@ Eric = Yes...Busker Central displays videos pointed out to me, given to me by friends, shot by me, asked to use by me, and submitted. Several are private and not available on the net except thru BC. All are displayed freely without even so much as a sign-up required. There are actually over 400 clips and hundreds of more pics in the BC archive. There's one big difference, though. No profit is involved.

[edit]
@ scot = stfu
[/edit]

Last edited by zoobie; 11-05-05 at 08:56 PM.
zoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-05, 09:19 PM   #22
martin ewen

Lurk If you steal something without reselling it its still stealing

"Yes...Busker Central displays videos pointed out to me, given to me by friends, shot by me, and submitted. Several are private and not available on the net except thru BC. All are displayed freely without even so much as a sign-up required. There are actually over 400 clips and hundreds of more pics in the BC archive. There's one big difference, though. No profit is involved. "

So lets call me performer B
I have a video on my copy-written site thats 'pointed out to you'

You download it and put it on your server (hopefully rather than simply leach bandwidth of my server)

You now have multiples of clips (over 400?) that you use to drive people to your site.
The fact that 'several' of them are exclusive to your site and presumably you have the rights to show them is irrelevant given the scale of your library.
A library that consists seemingly predominantly of other peoples work that you've found on the net.
Do you really believe that simply not charging people to look at stuff you haven't paid for is going to paint you as a stand up guy?
You have invested time and energy into the creation of a site designed to attract traffic.
If and when you reach your desired level of hits is when it all pays off in any number of tried and true revenue generating models.
You are using the net in the same way that, maybe, one-day, perhaps, Murdock will use myspace.
I'm pretty sure you don't have permission for the vast majority of your clips, (you didn't ask me for mine and I'd find it hard to believe it was an exception) Since removed, thanks.
Your stirling defence being, "I'm not making any money?"
Sorry Your income or lack of it is not a legal defence.

I'm amused that you, without realizing it are aping the piracy that built your great country as huge publishing houses were ripping off patents and literature wholesale simply because at the time europe was too far away to bother them.

Given you have the collected works of hundreds of street performers (performers a through z x 16) helping drive theoretical traffic to your site for obvious commercial potential.
My question to you is.
What have you done for us lately? or ever?
martin ewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-05, 05:04 AM   #23
Doctor Eric

This is where you're wrong Martin (but this is the only point where you are).

"You are using the net in the same way that, maybe, one-day, perhaps, Murdock will use myspace."

Sarcastic, maybe, true, no.

#1 Rupert Murdoch DID NOT buy myspace, the rumour is not true, nor are any other random pieces of bullshit that Zoobie heard on the good ol' intraneck worth listening to.

#2 People UPLOAD things to myspace. Zoobie just googled some crap and stole it. Zoobie, if you're not smart enough to make a profit off of your theft, it doesn't make you moral, just a bit slow. You're like Slingblade with a pirated copy of Dreamweaver.

If Rupert Murdoch ever buys myspace (which I sincerely doubt) he will use it in a manner equal to his intelligence and cunning, crafty mother@?!@er that he is. That means that Zoobie and Murdoch will never use anything the same way, unless you count the toilet and perhaps chopsticks.

!?www.ericcash.com?!

Last edited by Doctor Eric; 11-06-05 at 05:29 AM.
Doctor Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-05, 07:41 AM   #24
martin ewen

Lurk I'm so old I get up early.

Not unusual to be out on a limb there Eric but damn this spindly little (rumor / rumor-not) line in the sand,
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=ae.MCdMTEEcM

(I suspect it's a trap, mis-statement to draw out the puny worst before the hammer descends-carry on)
Old 11-06-05, 02:48 PM   #25
Doctor Eric

You're right, after half-assedly following another argument over whether or not myspace was going to charge people, I just drew the conclusion that myspace also wasn't bought by fox. I also looked into it, News Corp has done absolutely nothing with myspace, I think they saw the same potential in it that I and others have. They bought it, but that Tom guy and his partners still run it. The rest of what I said is true.

!?www.ericcash.com?!
Old 11-06-05, 04:26 PM   #26
zoobie
www.BuskerAlley.com

Say...Did you guys hear about the busker performance videos at www.BuskerCentral.com ?

I hear their archives are a deep dark spooky place only to entered after midnight by the daring zoobie...and only he has the key.

No signup required!
Check it out today!
Whoohoo!

Here's a nice sound...

[edit]
(Teen posties...ha ha...ya gotta love it...makes me wanna unsubscribe from this thread)
[/edit]

Last edited by zoobie; 11-06-05 at 06:04 PM.
zoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-05, 04:44 PM   #27
Doctor Eric

Zoobie, if you weren't such a glaringly transparent example of a passionless douchebag, the unintentional irony of the net-speak insult "teen postie" delivered by someone who just filled their reply with not less than five smilies might have offended me.

Go back and re-read Scot's post. In all fairness, if any of us had anything worth Rupert Mudoch's time, we would all be spending much less time on p.net. That's why the only people that bother stealing our materials are boring old men with eyesore websites. I'm sure Murdoch copied all the bazillion gigabytes of myspace so that he could sell the shit out of all the indie folk rockers on there that couldn't get a record deal to save their lives. It's sad, but it's the truth.

!?www.ericcash.com?!
Old 11-06-05, 06:14 PM   #28
scot

Send a message via AIM to scot

a nipple-less teen boob-shot gusher (gusher as in oil). Who wouldn't buy the rights to...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 251232339_l.jpg (14.9 KB, 109 views)
scot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-05, 07:06 PM   #29
Barry

Question

edited by barry

Last edited by Barry; 11-06-05 at 08:06 PM.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-05, 08:18 PM   #30
Doctor Eric

For some reason, scots post, followed by Barry's (empty except for "edited by barry...") caused me to fall out of my chair laughing.

!?www.ericcash.com?!
Old 11-06-05, 08:51 PM   #31
martin ewen

Lurk oh boy

Street performers are by and large fairly powerless, they have their acts and people rip them off or, you know just typically be annoying and you just let it go. Why waste time, life is short.
But the record industry, wow, there's somebody you want to stay under the radar of.
They go after people who download artists stuff online.
And if they think thats bad, you can only imagine what they'd make of someone who lists songs on a webpage and them encourages the public to download them.

"Due to the popularity of songs, you may encounter a network error. Clear cookies then cache, right click on song and "save target as". The server may simply be busy. Just like busking, keep trying and you will succeed."

http://www.buskercentral.com/songs.php

Some people are fun because you just know they're going to hurt themselves and it just sort of feels right.

Last edited by martin ewen; 11-06-05 at 08:58 PM.