performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS... > PROMO STUFF (MARKETING, MEDIA, ETC.)

Old 11-17-05, 02:51 PM   #1
Frisbee

Default back up your systems

I wanted to post an FYI to everyone.....back up your hard drives, do not learn the hard way like me....

I have a new imac g5 2 gig....I have only had it for 4 months and two days ago the hard drive totally fucked itself.

I had not backed up the work I had done on it

a.) because it is only 4 months old, I thought, what could possibly happen

b.) I have not had so much free time around...usually I have been backing up everything from my pc and even on the mac when I do a big project.

I did not back up 3 gigs of images, totally about 3 gigs of space.
My new promo video and cool dvd I finished 2 weeks ago.

I have the master disc to make copies, but to make changes or edits....all the images and data is lost, so I have to compile those shots again, and some of them were really great.....

Apple is fixing the computer at no cost as it is under warranty still, but that does not save my lost data....

the worst of it is, that I could see the data on it, just not get it off as it became all corrupt when the hard drive when kaput....

Apples explaination to me???? well sometimes when you drive a new car off the lot, the engine blows up....
That does not leave me with a good feeling.....

today is a saaaaaaaaad day.

-Frisbee

www.FrisbeeShow.com
Old 11-17-05, 04:23 PM   #2
Josh Casey

Default ahhh, major bummer...

Hey Frisbee. Are you sure the data wasn't salvagable? A friend of mine had a 500gb external drive
"blow up" and was able to take it to a company who specializes in recovering lost data.

Good luck and thanks for the reminder.

Josh
Josh Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-05, 04:44 PM   #3
Frisbee

Default range

they said that maybe one of those companies could salvage it for any where starting at $275 and going up to $$2,000

unfortunately I do not have the spare resources in this dry winter season to be able to do that. (

-Frisbee

www.FrisbeeShow.com
Old 11-17-05, 08:51 PM   #4
scot

Send a message via AIM to scot

Tell apple your computer went nuts. You should return it for a new imac. They have an iSight camera, a self portrait program, front row and a remote control now.
Old 11-17-05, 09:48 PM   #5
Frisbee

That was my first idea as well, and apple said no go. That they would fix this one, but if I wanted the new model it would not be a free exchange...
my faith in apple is on a thin thread line now.

I just found out thru some research that it seems that about 10% of the imac g5 is having a hard drive freeze/failure. I think that sucks...I will back up everything from now on.

I heard the lacie hard drives are pretty secure and reliable for backing up...anyone heard anything bad about these?

www.FrisbeeShow.com
Old 11-18-05, 02:15 AM   #6
scot

Send a message via AIM to scot
Scot

figures. They pack so much good stuff into a decent priced thing, you should assume that the things they don't mention suck. That's the way the world is now I guess.
Old 11-18-05, 04:27 AM   #7
gav

I posted a while back that a similar thing happened to me with my ipod. Non retrievable. The smaller they make these drives the more likely they are to fuck up and the harder it is to retrieve the information. When I was in the apple repair place at the time, they had a surprising amount of 2 to 5 month old g5 Imacs waiting for repair. I told the guy I was thinking of buying one, he said don't !! They're riddled with problems, mainly to do with over heating. Maybe the new ones are better, but I think they're trying to hard to sqeeze too much into a small fashionable space.
I've had a 80gig lacie that is built like a tank for 3 years, dragged it around the world, dropped it, bashed it. To coin a phrase. It takes a kickin but keeps on tickin. Highly recomend it.
gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-05, 07:46 AM   #8
Niels Duinker

I have another computer problem, my notebook is going now for the 5th time in a few months to the reparation service. Sometimes it already crashes when I boot the machince, but at the reparation they can find nooothing, but last time they replaced some stuff, but still same problem.
The suggested that I should get a new laptop, but hey when I remind them to it, they dont know.
BTW it is a Medion Computer. Yes computers can suck a lot.