performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > SPECIFIC PITCHES/CITIES/COUNTRIES

Old 11-17-05, 12:06 AM   #1
asher Tea

Ass the Munich mash

Hi all,
busking in thailand fucking forget it, just go an island and get lost in sabre tooth infested jungle and almot fall down giant ravines in the night, anyway thats another tale.
Has anyone worked in munich lately, I have all types of conflicting stories about it and would like a few more if possible.
Where is the pitch?
how are the locals?
How are the cops?
any other info would be like to, like nice places to stay and good food joints.
Thanks you good people
Old 11-17-05, 03:23 AM   #2
gav

As far as I've heard this summer, circle shows can't work there any more. They used to work in front of the big church with the very fancy clock that seems to be a major tourist attraction in the main shopping street. It's not just any clock, it's like a giant cookoo clock with all sorts of figures that come marching around and so forth. Heaps of people gather around at the square beneath it and wait for the magic to happen.
Specificaly I think they put some regulations in place about amplification and fire, and positioning. There may be a permit system.
You're not going there now are you?
Winter busking in europe is not that popular, but I guess there is no harm in trying.
Good luck.
gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-05, 02:08 AM   #3
asher Tea

Arrow indeedy

hi gav,
stupidly but boldly the answer is yes, I am going to europe for a year and starting in the winter. Hmm Munich no amplification and no fire? what if I did a show without these?
Tim motley told me that the cops can be a little rude and obtrusive but you can get a handle on them by convincing them its legit? Maybe vienna is a better option?
Old 11-18-05, 04:33 AM   #4
gav

Yes, Vienna is probably a better option if you're not using fire, and keep the amplification low. It used to be my base pitch in europe. I never worked it in winter though. I stopped working there because one policeman took a dislike to the fact that I would gather a very big crowd and mak a lot of money, so he decided that everything I did was against the law. Others still work there though, and I know of some aussie performers who live in vienna that may have some other suggestions for you.
If you decide to go there, let me know and I'll hook you up.
ps. you're mad coming here in winter
Old 11-18-05, 07:58 PM   #5
Barry

Default munich, vienna, etc.

munich...it is very unlikely you can convince them itīs legit....that was a couple of years ago...they have a daily permit plan right now...10euro a day, i think...must get to office before 12noon..better by 9am, if you can. right now munich will have a giant christmas market on the main pitch, (well, so will vienna, and almost every german or austrian town) munich has other spots to play, although the cops might be a bit tetchy this time of year. with a permit though, should be no problem. fire and amplification are strictly forbidden. sorry dont know where trhe office is but probably the main cop shop. ask a busker, whereas a cop is likely to send you to the wrong one for fun. munich was my main pitch for years, but it all got a bit of a nuiscance there,

advantages

are many many many english speakers on holiday.

busy, really busy, 365 days a year

for the germans speak really slow really clear use two syllable words. they will love you.
Old 11-19-05, 06:05 AM   #6
Chance

Default Munich & Vienna

Munich: If you are not from one of the EU countries, you are limited to just 7 daily permits per year. It used to be 10 until last year. They do check every day, and the fine is 400.00Euros if caught out. The daily fee was 5Euros, and Barry says now 10. Go figure. On the plus side, Sundays donīt count against you (office is closed and no police hassles), and if rained out the fee will be returned.

Vienna: I lived there for 7 years straight. Then I turned gay. No, wait, that was Gav -- oh, well, never mind. Vienna used to be good, but no more. Earlier this year I moved away because of how bad it has become there. But fire, as Gav said, is absolutely out (the true reason Gav was stopped is that his finale is with fire and he refused to change -- even after 4 or 5 warnings from the same policeman), and amps are now as well. It used to be you could get away with low amps, but thereīs a new hotel next to the main pitch and they have the police on quick-dial. Crate slugs are about the only thing allowed any more in Stephansplatz.

My advise to anyone looking to busk Europe over the winter, is to stay below the frost/freeze line, which means to stay south of the Alps. Thereīs still rain, but the winter is alot shorter and the winter temps more mild. Kinda like working Florida during winter.
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-05, 08:22 AM   #7
gav

Chance, what you just said about me refusing to change after 4-5 warning was absolute bullshit.
The first time i was told not to use fire I said fine, I can do it without. Then the policeman went on to tell me that I wasn't allowed to gather a big crowd, that I could infact only use 4x4 meters for myself, and that I couldn't use my pole or have voluteers hold the ropes for me.
Basically he said that everything I do in my show was not allowed. I tried again months later and the same cop managed to appear at the moment when I started unpacking my stuff.
I was done there anyway, too over crowded with crap shows and many statues. It would be nice to be able to stop and work on the way through every now and then though.
It was a gold mine!
Old 11-20-05, 12:26 AM   #8
asher Tea

Lurk white christmass

nice info guys,
thanks for this good to know. I am heaaading to munich in a way to try and work the dinner show scene too but it is good to know its hard but workable, shit it cant be any worse than an melbourne winter can it? yob aussies and a man in a pink safari suit hammering forks up his nose.
Hey gav I would love some of those hook ups in munich if you can, that would be lovely. Hey does one need a permit in Viena? Tim told me wbout the new permit thing in munich and I will just take my chances and try to get one every time I need to.
thanks for the info guys muchly appreciated.
Old 11-20-05, 05:40 AM   #9
gav

The contacts were for vienna, where there is no permit system if you are working stephanplatz.
I'll send pm later.
Old 11-28-05, 02:43 AM   #10
asher Tea

Lightbulb people in munich

hi gav you know anyone inmunich who is working at the moment? also would you send me that info on austria. I am off there on the 30th. In a parting ccomment, I think Thailand is ripe for a total invasion of street performers and circus artisits.
All they need is a little street education to differentitate a street performer from a beggar, and viola someone may spark a thai revolution.
I did a friend a favour here and did a spot for his kindy class, for a bit of a laugh and they loved it adults and children alike.
amazing thailand? if one where to do a st show the place would be in Siam where all the baht is.