performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS... > PROMO STUFF (MARKETING, MEDIA, ETC.)

Old 11-28-05, 03:08 PM   #1
Shane Cobalt

Default The Best Damn Promo Package!

Hi All,
I am new to the site but very impressed by the quality of posts and the information available! I am a magician looking to put together the best top notch promo package possible! I am targeting audieneces 16+ but would like to work cocktail parties to corporate shows to fairs or walk around street magic on contract. not busking as I am terrible at it. SO What should the best damn Promotional package ever! Contain??
What about entire promotional arsenal? Website? t-shirts? Novelty phone number? Letter head and matching envelopes? Decals on your Toyota?

Thank you very much,
Shane
Shane Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-05, 03:58 PM   #2
scot

Send a message via AIM to scot
Scot

you're not going to be able to afford the best promotional package. Some corporate acts are sending out kits that cost them $25 each. There's no limit to what you can do.

here's what I would put my money toward at the beginning:

photographer...
find a good photographer and show him examples of what you want. You need head shots, full body costume shots, performance photos, and shots with props.

graphic designer...
look at the portfolio and if it looks flawed (not like a magazine), move on. Your graphic designer's primary duties are to pick out a colorway ( a small collection of colors) that will represent you in all future promo, logo text (not a logo) that is readable and not just a straight font. He also needs to pick out 3 fonts that you can use in all of you promo that reflect who you are.

video geeks...
when I say video geeks, I mean cool people who are really into video. Nerdy fellows will probably not make something good, but if you find someone who has a good sense of what's hip and attractive, he'll be able to help you shoot and edit a 6 minute tape.

sales manager...
if you have some extra money, you could hire someone who is good at advertising. Someone who knows marketing and who you think will be able to turn you into a valuable product for your target. talk to your marketing person before anyone else and try to figure out the right image, style, and feel for selling your show.
Old 11-28-05, 04:13 PM   #3
Shane Cobalt

Thanks for the prompt imformative reply! It sounds like a great beginning! Where does it go from there? What would be the best damn promo package ever? Whether or not I can afford it I would love to see what general direction I could aim at.
Thanks,
Shane
Old 11-28-05, 04:26 PM   #4
scot

Here you go. ask these people >>
Old 11-28-05, 05:53 PM   #5
Shane Cobalt

HAHAHA,
Step One: Photos, video, marketing expert of sorts.
Step Two: Big Mac, they want fries with that.
Got it!
-Shane
Old 11-28-05, 07:28 PM   #6
scot

McDonalds has the best branding in the world. If you have the budget, do everything they have done.
Old 11-29-05, 10:16 AM   #7
Barry

Lightbulb crowd shots

short note additional to scotīs advice. get photos of you with big crowds. organizers and agents not only want to see that you are artistc looking, (they sort of assume you are, anyway), they want to see that you can command a large audience.

personally, i think this is the most important photo you can have.