performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > BUSKING Q&A/GENERAL PERFORMING TOPICS

Old 05-23-06, 05:03 AM   #1
t-boy

Default fire blowing

Hi there!

I've got a question about fire blowing, and I can't find the answer anywhere. Maybe you can help?

After advise by the person who taught me, I used to always have a drink of "soured milk" (a thick type of milk that you have with cereals and stuff here in Sweden) before and after blowing. My teacher told me it would help protect me from some sort of injury - I find it kind of hard to explain this in english. Anyway, I went vegan not that long ago, and now I'm not sure what to do. Does anyone know of any vegan substitute? Do you guys even use this?

Grateful for your time and answers...

//t-boy
t-boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-06, 01:17 PM   #2
Doctor Eric

the idea with "soured milk" or cream is that it will coat your mouth and esophagus with a layer of protein that the fuel will have to eat through before it absorbs into your system. I've always doubted that it really helped that much. No, there is no vegan alternative.

!?www.ericcash.com?!
Doctor Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-06, 02:36 PM   #3
Ivan Bellari

Default myth

clotted cream, sour milk, olive oil, hummus, beef jerky, whole milk, pepto bismal....

it's all a myth .. nothing stops the fuel from getting in ....

nothing...

best advice.. be a juggler

exsulis

Ivan Bellari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-06, 03:36 PM   #4
t-boy

ok, thanks for all the help. then I'll just skip that part later on...
Old 05-23-06, 04:46 PM   #5
Doctor Eric

I agree with Ivan, also T-Boy, do a forum search on "chemical pneumonia" and see if fire-blowing is really something you want to do. Personally, I think it's a bit tired and boring.

!?www.ericcash.com?!
Doctor Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-06, 05:50 PM   #6
t-boy

I know it's dangerous, so... I'm careful. fire blowing is the most exciting and thrilling thing I've done in all my life, so I will continue doing it. if I find something that I like more, I'll might quit. but anyway, thank you - and sleep well!
Old 06-19-06, 12:07 AM   #7
Engurrand

Send a message via ICQ to Engurrand

T-boy, I gotta agree with you. I know how dangerous it is, but it's been a dream for my whole life, an' I can't walk away. Instead of oil or kero, you might consider grain alcohol like everclear. It isn't quite so comfortable in the short run - some nasty stuff to the inside of your mouth - but in the long run might be a little.. well.. I don't want to say "safer," so I'll go with "better understood."
Engurrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-06, 01:16 PM   #8
MabJustMab

Send a message via Yahoo to MabJustMab

I have heard that the safest fuel for blowing fire is - BioDiesel - wow, renewable resouce ~and~ good for blowing fire! hell of an ad campaign.

I don't blow fire, but I eat it. (that sounds a little dirty, ignore that part) I personally have not used biodiesel cause I couldn't find it, but it's suppose to be getting easier to find, so hopefuly I will soon and will be able to have more input on that.

anyone else use biodiesel?
MabJustMab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-06, 02:20 PM   #9
Evan Young

Send a message via AIM to Evan Young

Grain alchohol burns hot and the vapors are more explosive. (explode your lungs). And after a couple shots of 98% alchohol, you will be too drunk to be carefull.

I was trained to use parafin based lamp oil. sold in the US as ultra pure oderless lamp oil.. it's bad for you, and the stuff is bad for you teeth as well. brush your teeth.

I don't perform fire blows unless the client has a lot of extra cash..... so... that's never.

biodeisel sound interesting. I'm curious to hear more about that. I'll bet it tastes real bad.
I recomend finding somthing else as well. If you can go on tour with a band or somthing who is willing to pay you $(a lot)$/per blast it might be worth it.....

ka-pow!
www.globalevan.com
www.showoffshow.com
www.evanshotme.com
Evan Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-06, 02:42 PM   #10
Ivan Bellari

Angry safe.... bah

there is no safe fire breathing fuel ...
no powder, no liquid , no gas...

bio deisel is as safe a parafin.. smells worse , and some of the chemicals in it are seriously bad for you ...as is parafin... all fuels are bad for your teeth ...

breathing with serious alchohol or white gas ... well.... regular deisel is safer than that ...

powder clumps ... gack!!!!

as a person it's fine to take whaterver risks you want to ... but when it comes to fire performance .... take into account the safety of the spectators...

just because you think it looks cool and you really want to do it does not mean its okay to risk innocent people .... they want to see a show.... they mostly dont want to risk their well being ...

bah..

exsulis

Ivan Bellari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-06, 07:40 AM   #11
Pyromancer

One of the biggest risks is chemical pneumonia. It happens when a small amount of oil somehow enters your lungs.
Biodiesel doesn't prevent you from this risk. Any oily substance in your lungs, will cause you pneumonia. Besides that, firebreathing with biodiesol smells like a deepfry with oil in it that hasn't been changed for a while. And on top of that, biodiesel leaves an even dirtier, smellier and slippier stain on the streets than normal lamp oil does.

I asked both my dentist and my dental hygienist about the possible effect of fuels on your teeth. They couldn't come up with much more than it could affect your gums and then indirectly your teeth. I have been firebreathing for ten years now and have all my teeth still and no extraordinary damage.
My personal theory is that this story came up, because a firebreathing is many times practiced by crusty types who don't care for their teeth properly. And when they fall out or rot at some point, it's easier to blame it on the fuel, instead of realising that you should have brushed your teeth...
Pyromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-06, 01:17 PM   #12
Hunter

Apple

Definately not a new safe fuel alternative;

"Some PM and HC emissions from diesel fuel combustion are toxic or are suspected of causing cancer and other life threatening illnesses." - National Biodiesel Board

Also- Biodiesel is often composed of the long chain fatty acids that are gathered from processing animal fats and omega-3 fatty acids from fish oils - not quite kosher.

As far as dental hygeine, my dentist haven't seen any damage to my enamel, but there have been some problems with fillings / caps I've had from way back when.

“Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business. -Tom Robbins
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote