performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > BUSKING Q&A/GENERAL PERFORMING TOPICS

Old 08-25-06, 10:39 AM   #1
caricatureguy

Clown clowning

I'm just going to throw this out there and see what happens...

I'm thinking of becoming a clown. Or, maybe doing certain gigs as a clown. Maybe advertising that I can do it at least. Anyways, I'm thinking about it... There it is.

There are lots of clowns around here making killer money and doing at least 10 gigs a weekend with all the face painting, magic, juggling and balloon animals and whatnot. I have lost track of what a "clown" is. It seems to me lately that a clown is an entertainer that (makes more money than me) does balloons, juggles, does magic and facepainting. I haven't seen a whole lot of silly clown stuff going on when I do gigs with them, you know? None of that disgustingly cutesy, dorky stuff that makes me want to puke. It seems that most often they are just whipping out product or strolling entertainers like me. They charge the same or more!

Stacie (my wife) is thinking about trying to learn some of these skills while she is not "working". (she is quitting her job to explore other ventures-and not just clowing!) It would be a great way to earn a living if we can make it fly. Plus a fantastic way to stay home with the kids when that day comes or be able to travel of course and move if we want to.

I'm sure that with the contacts and whatnot that I have going for me that the transition to "adam the clown", "pate family circus", or at least getting Stacie started by entertaining however she likes would not be that big of a challenge.

I was thinking rather than being a traditional clown I might opt more for the "New Vaudvillian" style clown (see, I've been doing my homework...) like Wavy Gravy or Penn and Teller are kinda clowns this way. They generally do pranks and mess with people or just tell stories to make them think. But I was thinking that in the way of caricatures, it might help me to really let loose on these occasions with my exaggerations. Since I will totally, obviously and undoubtedly be there to be funny... I can give em both barrels every time. I have been reading and apparently, most clowns feel special when they clown, like they are in a dream, or someplace or somebody else. Anyways, they can get away with and do things that they would not normally do. I think this might really improve my work if I find that kind of connection with it! Since I'm fast, I won't have any problems keeping the crowd's attention while I'm doing it. I have lots of gags and lines I can use too. It's seems like it would be a pretty easy transition for me and I love to learn new stuff and entertain people too.

I'm thinking my costume and personality are going to be pretty down to earth and totally me. I'm going to be (if I do it) "SKETCHY" - Me and my trademark sideburns in a gorrilla suit, shirt and tie underneath with a bowler hat. Walk around caricatures, balloon animals, face painting and magic. Any thoughts?

I have given consideration to making sevral other brightly colored gorilla costumes (sans chest and nipples) for kids parties since I think it would be kinda wierd to be painting some kids face and have rubber tits in his face

I'm thinking of lots of stuff for a stage show too. I suppose it is probably not cool to discuss the details of your shows and stuff on this forum but I'm totally new and could use some pointers, suggestions and ideas if you have any.
The Caricature Guy
caricatureguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-06, 01:35 PM   #2
Hunter

Clown

a clown? jeeze gruesome riddle.

“Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business. -Tom Robbins
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-06, 01:43 PM   #3
caricatureguy

Default Naaaa

A baked potato that came with a great big juicy hunk of charred beef I had the other night.
Old 08-26-06, 12:12 AM   #4
caricatureguy

For those of you who are wondering, I have gone on to do a lot of the things that I had set out to do the last time I asked for opinions on this board. Check the new website and you can find me on party pop, gigmasters and a couple of other places. I have a big sign coming soon with a second clock on it so people can time me and whatnot too. It has been a long summer and I've been doing well without going to the beach because of the additional advertising this year. I still have to send out most of the postcards/promo kit info that I mentioned but it is pointless to do it now because things are going good at this point. When summer is over I will hopefully have the clown routine somewhat down. I am going to compete for the official title of "World's Fastest Caricaturist" in Orlando at the NCN convention in October and if I win, (along with going to Disneyfuckingworld) I'm going to milk it for all it's worth promotionwise, along with adding some additional services and photos to the site (like future clowning info and content) so it couldn't hurt holding off on the promo material for the time being. At least the stuff that costs money to send out nationally and air mail.

Just to set the record straight, and say thank you... Your fantastic suggestions did not go in one ear and out the other.

I will add more feedback, video and photo content concerning those suggestions when that info is gathered. As for now I have only sent about 450 postcards and gotten about 12 responses. Not ideal, I know, but I am learning. I DO think my odds will improve when I begin to follow up with phonecalls after sending postcards (even if they are after hours as somebody suggested)

www.adampate.com

Last edited by caricatureguy; 08-26-06 at 12:26 AM.
caricatureguy is offline   Reply With Quote