performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > FESTIVAL DISCUSSIONS

Old 04-30-05, 11:22 AM   #21
UCO

Insurance is just for those props that are potencialy dangerous right? Does it go for audience participation too?
Old 05-09-05, 06:03 AM   #22
vernon

Default Edinburgh

Hi Stickman...Worked Buchanan Street, quite a lopt in the past month or so...and yes I agree with you, the crowds are soporific and slightly deranged at times...especially the white shell suited chavs...but the money is gooooooooood.Am back home in london and the money is not as good as there.
Anyway, vis a vis the Edin Festival...always worth a try...I think you have to register (no fee) with the festival office (see Cathy) and then on the day a draw at 10am...for the pitches. Three of them on the Royal Mile and two on the mound.
Not heared about anyone being paid...to be there though...very interesting if this is the case though...
Vernon
Old 05-31-05, 01:37 PM   #23
clara

Send a message via AIM to clara

http://www.edfringe.com/story.html?id=654&area_id=36

i'm a statue, not a circle performer, so the deal was a bit different. i got a permit, and a set spot for a set period of time (at the courts between one and three.) i could finagle other people's spots, if they were going to be gone for a day, and people frequently "invented" spots.

but circle shows are different.

there's a draw at ten (suckers ) and it's for three or four spots around the royal mile.

i had a lovely time, people were incredibly friendly, and if i have enough $ to travel this summer (nothing against harvard sq. of course, but i've a special place in my heart for scotland!) I'll head to Edinburgh again .
clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-06, 10:58 AM   #24
scot

Send a message via AIM to scot
Scot

Got accepted to Ed Fringe this year for my theater show and I think I'll be street performing to profit/ break even.

Any news on Glasgow?
Do you think it would be smarter to live & busk in glasgow, then train to Edinburgh for my daily shows?

I'm looking for more ways to save money. looking at around 2700 for theater rental plus 1000 for fliers and pr plus 800 for lodging.

I'm really excited.

Also; any cultural differences that may be pronounced in audience response?
Old 02-01-06, 11:13 AM   #25
Frisbee

Hi scot,

I heard from Fred about your show, congrats. The people who had venue shows at Edinburgh 2005 that were also good street acts did well.
The two that come immediately to mind are Dave McSavage and Gamarjobat.

Gamarjobat was selling out everyshow, they went on the street at day, did juggling tricks and circus skills, passed the hat and fliered for their shows and really rocked it.

I do not know about McSavage's audience turn out, but his street shows were always huge and really funny, I can not imagine that his theatre shows were any different.

If you want more info about Edinburgh email me or call and I would be happy to answer from my P.O.V. and I am sure we will see each other there in 2006.

www.FrisbeeShow.com
Old 02-01-06, 11:17 AM   #26
gav

Being part Scottish I feel it only fair to warn you that scotsmen
a) do not like americans
b) don't appreciate food based humour
c)do not like non scottish people refering to themselves as Scot
d)manifest all there dislikes in the form of a Glasgow kiss.

Thankfully for you, the Scots are equalized by the British at festival time.
gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-06, 11:21 AM   #27
Frisbee

<I feel it only fair to warn you that Scotsmen
a) do not like americans>

I had a situation with a Scotsman that was difused but could have been ugly, I am happy to have had Arizona Jones there on my side. He saved my life, Thanks AJ.

Overall, I found the people of Scotland really great and friendly...maybe they thought I was Canadian.

www.FrisbeeShow.com

Last edited by Frisbee; 02-01-06 at 11:23 AM.
Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-06, 10:34 PM   #28
clara

Send a message via AIM to clara

Quote:
Overall, I found the people of Scotland really great and friendly...maybe they thought I was Canadian. [/b]
i found them to all be very pleasant as well.

perhaps they just wanted to get in my pants?

regardless i shall be there, with bells on, and lotsa silver paint, in august.

cheers!

(oh, and last i heard, princes st was open domain.....)
clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-06, 05:31 AM   #29
Rex Boyd
Kansas Man in Exile

Here are some great photos from Edinburgh that I stumbled upon on the net.

http://fringe-photographer.blogspot.com/

http://eddieizzardstolemyphotos.blogspot.com/

cheers,

Rex
Rex Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-06, 03:45 PM   #30
smallbrown

Default High Street "News"

At the moment, just in case you haven't heard the High Street is being re-cobbled. This is expected to finish in 2007.

The work will be stopping for August and Christmas/ New Year.
All work should/ will be clear for the Festival.

The High Street will probably not be cobbled, it's being given a tar surface while they re-shape clean and fix the origonal cobbles for relaying.

Parliment square is still cobbled, but now free of the scaffolding round St. Giles. (Nicer back drop for photos)

Last edited by smallbrown; 02-28-06 at 03:47 PM.
smallbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-06, 10:27 AM   #31
martin ewen

Lurk Ta

Thanks rex. I hadn't seen Vince for about 10 or more years and it was a pleasent flashback.

I heard something along the lines of him giving his old mum a new pair of shoes and her making a fuss over it as she's one of those, "oh don't worry about me , you know you shouldn't waste your money" Deflective personalities who spend their energies thinking of others.
And he'd purchased and slipped the deeds of the house she'd rented most of her life in with the shoes.

I was working in Copenhagen at the same time as he was being subjected to a statistical anomaly, people in and around his show were dropping from epileptic fits at the rate of one a show.
He was concerned and we were merciless.

Yeah just thanks for the link and pics that brought that stuff back
martin ewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-06, 02:19 AM   #32
malkav powermann

how is the border crossing ? do you need papers?

also the links farther down are years old so there is no info
did i read right that there is there paper work you should do before showing up expecting to do a circle show?
malkav powermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-06, 06:38 AM   #33
Rex Boyd
Kansas Man in Exile

The following comes from the official Fringe website:

If you would like to be part of the Royal Mile action as a busker or street performer, you need to apply through the Fringe Office. Enquiries can be made to Cathy Dick, High St Co-ordinator, Edinburgh Festival Fringe, 180 High St, Edinburgh, EH1 1QS or email Cathy@edfringe.com from early 2006.

Please note that all applications for High Street Traders, Buskers, Hairbraiders, Statues and Portrait Painters will be available from early 2006
Old 07-22-06, 03:56 PM   #34
chickenman
Gold Member

Send a message via Skype™ to chickenman
Default housing in edinburgh

i have a small flat if anyone is still looking for a place to call home for the month.

email me if you are interested..

iamchickenman@hotmail.com
Old 09-07-06, 05:11 AM   #35
Rex Boyd
Kansas Man in Exile

I made it up to Edinburgh for a few days this year and had a really great time hanging out with all the performers. Best wishes and thanks a million to everyone who was there making the festival such a wonderful event.

I also was very fortunate to meet Andrew Brown, the Edinburgh photographer who has made it his passion to document the street performers and all the other colourful characters who liven up Edinburgh during the Fringe. Andrew has been as busy as ever this year, once again taking more amazing photos from the Fringe. Have a look at his latest posting at:

http://thelastpictureshow.blogspot.com/

Cheers,

Rex
Old 03-20-07, 05:41 PM   #36
Doctor Eric

scot and I are doing a two-man theater show entitled propsaganda this year.

We are morons.

We need these informations:

Where to stay. Scot wants a flat, he is a fragile flower, and needs an hour and a half to get his hair perfect. I need a private room if I am to properly prepare methamphetamines for sale.

Where to work. We're going to be doing street shows to survive and promote, and all of the posts in here are a few years old, so what's the skinny now?

How to get in. Our tickets are bought, are we going to have a hassle at the airport? Can I wear my turban?

Where to play. I want to drink sullenly. It sounds like that might be difficult in the middle of a month long festival

Who's there? Is anybody in the area right now?

Who else has done theater shows there? any advice?

erm... please infer any questions I may have missed.

!?www.ericcash.com?!
Doctor Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-07, 07:35 PM   #37
Frisbee

Hey Eric,

Here is a few of your questions answered, if you need more, email me. I have been there the past two years with Fred.

1. You should not have a problem with immigration, they know that a lot of performers are coming in for the Fringe. Whether you are in a theatre or not is not much matter.
When you get to immigration booth they will ask you why you are in Scotland, tell them you are going to the Fringe Festival. Stamp in your passport and you will be on your way.
To make you feel better you can ask the theater you are performing in to send you a letter stating that you are performing in there venue as a part of the Fringe Festival.
The Fringe is a cultural event and bylaws state that if you are performing at a cultural event no visa is required.

2. To stay cheap and clean and safely...stay at the hostel...get one of the three that are just off the royal mile. They are converted college dorms, so you will have your own room, and depending on where you stay you will have to share a bathroom with either 3 other rooms or there will be multiple bathrooms on a floor for 10 rooms.

if you stay the same place Fred, Paul and myself stayed last year there are only 4 rooms per flat. if you book early, maybe we can all rent one space for the 4 of us that way it is not any strangers.

3. There is a morning draw for the circle shows it happens at 10am every morning. ( I forget the square name, but once you get there ask any performer and they will point you in the right direction.)

4. Make SURE you have liability insurance or you will not be allowed in the draw! That is UK liability insurance. you can get the best deal thru actors equity. It is different than equity in the U.S. and anyone who is a performer may join, then you can be umbrellad automatically under there policy.

5. There are two types of performance venues for the street. Circle and sidewalk.
Circle will have 3 pitches that are scheduled and then the mound is a great unregulated pitch (except regulation by performers) you will be allowed to use your sound here, but not on any of the official fringe pitches.

If you want to do a smaller sidewalk show, you may find that you will get more than the one show per day that the circle pitch will offer you.
Side Walk acts will sometimes get 2 or more shows in a day...but they are smaller time schedules.

There is also Fringe Sunday (usually the second Sunday of Fringe) which is a huge day of promotions in the park and that is another whole story.

www.FrisbeeShow.com
Old 03-21-07, 08:10 AM   #38
martin ewen

Lurk

I spent under 10 pounds and an hour and went to Glasgow and had the place to myself, there's Buchanan st right starting right next to the railway station and it's upmarket [for glasgow] but still pretty damned edgy. I made good money and surfed the harrowing situations as they arose.
[The only lime I've been confronted and actually had to stop my knees trembling but it ended up with them apologising]

RBM= Richard Bucknal Management based in london but he's a really good british agent and has represented perrier winners and works really hard.
Ask around, he'll undoubtedly be there. He's bigtime, worth a shot. He doubled my fees every time i got a callback.

Thats all, it was a while ago. Good luck
martin ewen is offline   Reply With Quote