performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > SPECIFIC PITCHES/CITIES/COUNTRIES

Old 11-06-06, 11:00 AM   #61
The Amazing Beaumanz

all of it
Old 11-07-06, 07:05 AM   #62
Guy

Hold on a minute everybody. Key West is a small town there are only about 20000 permananent residents and this maybe swells to about 35000 during the season. So if you are a regular performer down here people are going to get to know you and your business.
Key West is also one of the biggest pitches (In number of performers working) in the world.
Every pitch has its fair share of arseholes, I worked in Covent Garden for 7 years before I came to Key West and I can tell you that there are plenty more arseholes there than there are here, and yes they are still working even when their drunk or high on cocaine etc. There are performers in London who sleep behind the pitch(which stinks of piss, unlike Mallory Square) wake up to do there shows then get drunk all over again. It also has its fair share of bullies.
In my time I've worked in Australia and I found "Circular Quay" to be much the same. I doubt Boston is any different, I've heard terrible stories about LA.
The difference is that these are huge cities and nobody really cares what the street performers are doing, there are far more important issues. Key West is tiny when we fuck up people want to know because they probably know us or of us. The sunset celebration is a big part of the Key West experience like Sloppy Joe's and Hemmingway's house.
Take a look at your own pitches!
Old 11-07-06, 09:34 AM   #63
The Amazing Beaumanz

Default guy, you've hit the nail on the head..

I have performed in or at least visited nearly every pitch in the U.S., and each one has it's problems. The bullies in Venice. The drunk statues and aggressive tap dancers in New Orleans, etc.

Key West is a great place!! Your crowd building skills are put to the extreme test here. Once a person "figures out" what it takes to survive on Mallory, you feel a sense of accomplishment.

Many have come and tried once or twice to only give up and go home. And then spread the word of how horrible the place is. It's not.

In the past year, there has been great changes made down there!!! At one time, there was fire twirlers that had a drummer that made it next to impossible to pull a show off near them. Then being placed in the pitch near the parking lot, near the band was also extremely difficult.

Now, nearlt everyone is on the pier and shows are possible to pull off. The only person i have seen not be able to pull off a show in last several visits was Dale.
Old 11-08-06, 11:42 PM   #64
jeep caillouet

Default git a job

You said it best Dallas, Mallory is the best place in this country to work that is if your a strong busker , if not you can always go over to the Hilton, Isabella and look over at us (i've been waiting for my slam). Maybe the'll even pay you in your shinny new costumes and panted props and you can always play second fiiddle to that cat dude oh I mean GUY oh no pun intended Guy. By the way what happened to Gazzo ,did he have to get a job after I bitched him out for slamming us out on mallory I havent seen him lately. And yes that tourist lady really did not my hat off my head!BAAAAAM If you can't get a crowd get a job.
Old 11-09-06, 01:05 PM   #65
toddvarious

Hat hmmm

(text from jurnal) 4-20-06: I was up by ten to go for coffee with a performer friend of mine and we sat and spoke of the crowds last night and how the same idiot had wandered into every one elses crowd. later that day I went out for a sailng with another couple performering friend of mine on a hobie cat. what a great time. went to the draw and got a spot to work. did a couple show before sunset and a few performers came to watch and gave me some advice to improve. I thanked them, watched the sun set with the rest of the crowd did one more show. went back to a preforming friend of mines house and played some foot ball on the play station. --------- how can people call this pitch anything but a performers paradise? todd various.

Last edited by toddvarious; 11-09-06 at 01:11 PM.
toddvarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-06, 01:20 PM   #66
The Amazing Beaumanz

Default i remember....

I remember you pulling a good size crowd infront of that memorial in the plaza. Right after Mark Riggs and before Kris and Amy could get the crowd, I was impressed!!!
Old 11-09-06, 01:25 PM   #67
toddvarious

Default another day at the office

that was the grace of mark. he told them to come watch me but to make them stay and made them pay, i am to blame for that one. thank you dallas.,toddvarious@googlemail.com

Last edited by toddvarious; 02-04-07 at 10:37 PM.
Old 06-11-07, 03:41 PM   #68
The Amazing Beaumanz

Default what's going on down there??

I am pretty certain, that on Tuesday we will be heading that way!!! Who's down there???
Old 06-11-07, 05:26 PM   #69
toddvarious

Ass dude keep up!

I have been in scotland for the last two months and am killing glasgow( cause thats how they roll). I want to see you come to the fringe fest in august.
Old 06-11-07, 11:26 PM   #70
The Amazing Beaumanz

Default hey Todd

I'd love to come to the fringe!!! My wedding is this coming Saturday night at Pier 60. I'm doing one show right after in my tux!!
Glad to hear things are well.

See ya soon,
D