performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS... > CLIENT/AGENT/AGENCY ISSUES

Old 05-25-06, 10:15 AM   #1
gogoclown

Send a message via AIM to gogoclown
Hat Perform on cruise ships

Anyone interested (and good enough) to perform on cruise ships? I have a source where you can apply. Basically you get to go on the ship for $50 a day (inclusive for two people) plus $10 per day per person gratuities.

Email me privately at gogo@gogotheclown.com if you are interested. Let me know what you do, how many years you've been doing it, etc.

Procedure is:
1) I turn in your name
2) You apply online
3) You get qualified by the company
4) They tell you which ships and dates are available
5) You tell them what cruise you want to go on
6) They submit your name to the ship
7) Ship says OK
8) You pay the company
9) You're on your way!!
gogoclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-06, 03:24 PM   #2
Frisbee

Don't cruise ships usually pay the performers to come on board for the entertainment of the guests.

I have never heard anyone paying to perform on a ship...
will they still lock you into a 1 month or 3 month contract @ 50.00$ per day..So a performer would end up paying 1,500 pre month to be on board this deal...

Maybe I am going a bit "Over Board" but I do not want to walk that plank.

www.FrisbeeShow.com
Old 05-25-06, 04:10 PM   #3
gogoclown

No, most of these cruises are only for 4-12 days at a pop. You are not a crew member, you are a guest on the ship and get the privileges of such....get to go on excursions (you have to pay just like the guest would), dinners with guests, etc. You do not have a choice of rooms, however, and you cannot upgrade. You do, however, get to pick the cruise you want to go on.

There are perks and downfalls to everything. Biggest thing I see is that you perform for about 2 hours per day for 6 of 7 days on a cruise and you get to go for about 1/10th of what it costs everyone else. I see that as a BIG kudo.

So, if this hasn't scared anyone else off....let me know. gogo@gogotheclown.com
Old 05-25-06, 06:41 PM   #4
Magic Mickey

I was under the understanding that a cruse ship would pay you to perform to, why would you pay to perform? Also the 4 day contract sounds funny. What are you going to be able to do in that amount of time? Wouldn't you want one of those days to tech the show, and need most of the last day to pack up? That leaves real days of shows? I'm not believing this quite yet. Whats the company's name?
stilt walker, and balloon twister
Magic Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-06, 07:27 PM   #5
Dan, a balloon man

I just did some research on the subject and I was told that I could be a "guest lecturer."...running workshops on what I do in exchange for the "cheap" cruise. I say no thanks...I would like to be paid....but that is just me!!
Dan, a balloon man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-06, 10:07 PM   #6
Frisbee

Guest entertainers still get paid to do cruise ships and can enjoy all of the perks of the ship as wel and are not considered part of the crewl...
paying to perform on a cruise ship is just not right, whether for 3 days 30 days or even just one day...

As Entertainers we should GET PAID to perform on ships and most any other job we choose to take, unless we are giving to a charity type event or donating your services and with those you still get the tax write off for your services rendered.

What did you say the name of the company was again booking these entertainers? Which ship?

www.FrisbeeShow.com
Old 05-25-06, 11:08 PM   #7
Dan, a balloon man

What I said was "guest lecturers" not guest entertainers...My understanding is that you could run balloon making/juggling/circus skill workshops in exchange for the cheaper cruise. I understand that there is a difference between a guest lecturer and a guest entertainer that would be there specifically to provide entertainment for the guests.
I have a sister in law that does lectures on the cruise ships on how to enhance your digital photography skills and she does so as a lecturer/instructor in exchange for a cheaper cruise.
The cruise line was Princess Cruise lines.
Dan, a balloon man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-06, 11:31 PM   #8
gogoclown

OK, I understand that we get paid to perform what we do. However, you end up paying only about 1/10th of the price of what others would pay for the cruise. If you are not into cruising, then don't even think about it. If you like cruising, this is a way to get as much as a $2000 discount on the regular price of the cruise...For 7 days, I'll take "$2000" compensation. And to my knowledge, it doesn't get reported to the IRS as compensation. The cruise gives you a "free" cruise. You pay the $50 per day to the entertainment company as their administrative fee.

This company IS legit. I've already done a cruise with them. If you are truly interested, let me know, otherwise I understand that you want to be paid for what you do. So do I, but the compensation of the cruise is enough for me once in a while. (Obviously I couldn't afford to do it all the time, but 3 or so times a year is wonderful for me...as long as I'm working the rest of the time to be able to afford it.)

Once you are approved by the company you get to pick where and when you go (obviously when the lists are put up as to where and when they need people.)

Cruising isn't for everyone, but I'll do it as long as I can afford to do it. After all, where else can you get a vacation for 7 days for about $250 including meals and seeing the world?
Old 05-25-06, 11:51 PM   #9
Evan Young

Send a message via AIM to Evan Young

what kind of perfoming are they looking for? what did you do for them?
I'm not going to work it, I'm just curious....

Go-go.... the thing is that some of us have worked cruise ships before, and ben paid 2k/week (give or take), plus travel, etc. some people make a damn good living off of it, so we know the cruise lines have the money for entertainment staff.

Thank you for your tip though, I do see how it's kind of a neat deal.

ka-pow!
www.globalevan.com
www.showoffshow.com
www.evanshotme.com
Evan Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-06, 12:08 AM   #10
gogoclown

I was their full-face painter.....two hours a day for 6 of 7 days.

The cruise director told me to talk to the entertainment dept. about being able to cruise without paying the entertainment company. I "tried" to get the ship to hire me directly, as the cruise director had suggested, but they INSISTED I go through the entertainment company, even though my face painting was so good people even commented to the Captain of the ship. Soooo, I'm doing two more cruises this year and hopefully one next Easter when the list comes out. ...and paying the entertainment company.

I enjoy cruising and I'm getting old enough that I want to do some sight seeing before I die.....(I'm not THAT old....lol.)

And yes, when I go, I'm giving up $1500+ weekends, but those are my vacation days I give myself and I've earned them!

If anyone knows how I can do this without going through an entertainment company, I'd certainly like to know contacts, etc. I'm a professional clown, but I go on the cruises as a face painter. (People who are painted are not charged onboard the ship....it's complimentary...and we are not allowed to put out a tip bucket.)
Old 02-26-07, 08:33 AM   #11
annie

UK

Arla,

Why does it not surprise me that you are trying to bypass the agents; http://www.sixthstar.com
Face Painters from all over the world are enjoying, cruising for a nominal fee, and your unprofessional posting on a public forum might jeopardise it for everyone,

Anne.
annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-07, 09:04 AM   #12
gogoclown

Default For Anne

And just exactly what about my post was unprofessional? I was told by the activities director to contact the cruise line directly. It was the cruise line that was upset that I did so.
Old 02-26-07, 09:06 AM   #13
gogoclown

Default For Dan, the Balloon man

Can you tell me what company your sister-in-law works through for Princess Cruise lines? Thanks!
Old 02-26-07, 09:17 AM   #14
annie

[quote]Originally posted by gogoclown
I "tried" to get the ship to hire me directly,

If anyone knows how I can do this without going through an entertainment company, I'd certainly like to know contacts, etc. .)
[/QUOTE

well those two lines do it for me,! how do you know which agents are logged on here, Do you realise that each individual thread shows up on Google?, which is how i just found it when doing some research on cruising.... what if sixth star found it?, you could well queer the pictch for all of us.
I don't think I have every seen a post where an entertainer is openly trying to find a way of bypassing the agents, its professional suicide........and puts suspicion on the rest of the Face Painters.
I hope you enjoyed the cruises you went on last year cos if i were your agent (any agent?)reading this thread, I would not be useing you , I think you are crazy for posting it.
Anne.
annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-07, 12:42 AM   #15
caricatureguy

All the more reason to make this a private forum, IMO.