performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > FESTIVAL DISCUSSIONS

Old 07-18-07, 02:28 PM   #21
Tyler

Hey guys,

So the busking pass...is it worth getting?

Tyler
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-07, 09:14 PM   #22
Juggalicious

Send a message via AIM to Juggalicious
Default not edmonton saskatoon

i am very well aware of the strat-

stayed there for two nights and after seeing a girl get kicked in the face and the hotel manager thrown against the wall and chocked to near death - we decided to relocate-

the strath however is in Edmonton - unless there is another hotel of the very same name in Saskatoon-

So anyways - anyone know of Saskatoon accomodations ? or is there another strath which is just as amazing?
Juggalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-07, 09:42 PM   #23
Kim

It's the Edmonton Strathcona I was talking about. I don't think the world is big enough to support two of them.

In Saskatoon there's a hotel I stayed at with Jimbo and Dan Craig... we got a suite between us which worked out ok. I forget the name but one of them will read this sooner or later and refresh my memory.

It was nice except that I was sick, and the room was haunted.
Old 07-24-07, 11:45 PM   #24
Daniel Craig

Send a message via ICQ to Daniel Craig

If I recall correctly that was the Senator, Kim. Clean rooms and decent location.

oowoOOWOowowooooooOEeeeEEee!
Daniel Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-07, 01:08 AM   #25
Juggalicious

Is this where you speak of:

http://www.hotelsenator.ca/

- anyone want to split a suite with dave, patrick, and myself.-
Old 07-25-07, 08:44 PM   #26
Kim

Dan, I offer you 4 options...

...and 3 of them are "silence"

;-)
Old 07-27-07, 12:22 AM   #27
Isabella

Default FYI - Very Small Circles at Edmonton

Maybe I'm the only one who didn't already know this - but after a long discussion with helpful administrators at the Edmonton Fringe, we're not busking - we'll only be doing the Outdoor Stage shows we paid to do - because the busking "circles" are only 8 feet across.

Um, yeah.

So if you are planning on busking Edmonton Fringe, and you are more spacious than one guy with a guitar, you may want to give them a call and find out if you fit.

Also, they may have edited the website today to reflect this, but busking passes are $100 not $90 and will be sold at 9AM not 10AM.

We will be going up early (we pass through on the way to Interplay the weekend before) and attempting to find a privately-owned property (green space, parking lot, whatever) where we can do additional circle shows. If you are interested in tagging along on that deal, send me a note and if we succeed in finding a space I'll let you know where it is and what the deal is. I won't know until the week before the Fringe, though.
Isabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-07, 01:36 AM   #28
Tyler

Wow, brutal, that sucks a lot. I'd be interested in getting in on that, I live in Edmonton (well Sherwood Park) if that's at all helpful...

Tyler
Old 07-27-07, 01:54 AM   #29
Tyler

So, from what I read on the busking page...they are going to cycle a max of 50 (50 busking passes) through THREE circles all day?

Wow...is this going to be worth my hundred bucks?

Tyler
Old 07-27-07, 10:13 AM   #30
Isabella

Apparently, human statues and solo musicians also have some other places they can play...so it won't be the full 50 all day every day. Still seems like a lot.
Isabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-07, 11:40 AM   #31
Daniel Craig

Send a message via ICQ to Daniel Craig

Isabella,

The site is pretty expansive but I don't know that there are any spaces that could accomodate your rig unless something has changed with the layout.

Couldn't hurt to try though, but honestly it might be pretty tough.
Daniel Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-07, 12:31 PM   #32
Tyler

Yeah, I dunno, you're the expert probably, cause you've been there quite often from what I remember.

So maybe it'll all work out, I don't know. But the circles always seemed to be fairly expansive when I was there.
Old 07-28-07, 02:32 PM   #33
Juggalicious

Default Accommodations for Edmonton Fringe

Hi Everyone,

We had a 3 bedroom house set to rent out from the 12th - 26th that we were going to stay in while working the fringe. The people were super nice - while the place was unfurnished - they offered to bring over a bed and some chairs table/ pots and pans for us. to fill it out a little bit.

The people seemed really great and the place was super nice - they offered it to us for $1000 and that included all utilities so on and so forth.

We recently declined the offer only because we found a place that was within walking distance of the fringe / furnished / for the same amount.

So if anyone is interested in renting out the old house which we had its certainly a far better alternative to a hotel room -

the address of the home is :
13328-106A Ave

and its in edmonton I believe - its about a 10 minute drive from the fringe grounds.

If you have any questions please let me know-
or send me an email at alexclarkemail@gmail.com and I will pass along your information to Jen - the rental owner.

alex
Old 07-31-07, 03:33 PM   #34
Tyler

I spoke with the Festival Director for the Fringe yesterday, and he told me a couple of important things.

First of all, busking passes go on sale at 10:00, not 9:00, he said that it was originally changed, but they switched it back.

Second, people start lining up at about 7:00.

Third, the passes usually do sell out, so be there early.

Fourth, there are three busking circles, one is on 83AVE and the other on 84th. Where the third one is I have no idea. But I've seen those pitches before, and I'm pretty sure that they are bigger than 8ft.

Fifth, on top of those circles, there are "pitches" (as he called them) that will be set up for smaller acts. That is the statues, the musicians, the magicians. The bigger (8ft...) circles will be left for the jugglers, trapeze people, and anyone who needs a larger space.

I hope that helps explain some of the stuff.

As for additional performance space, I don't know of anywhere else other than a couple of parking lots around the area, but those are all in use. If you guys want to check it out when you arrive in Edmonton that might be a good idea though.

Tyler
Old 08-28-07, 01:54 AM   #35
Juggalicious

edmonton rocked - minus the rain - lot of great acts this year! festival is under new management and they are super nice this year - and obviously all the other buskers were great as well- fantastic times with great friends.

-alex

Last edited by Juggalicious; 08-29-07 at 09:51 AM.