performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > THE GREEN ROOM > CURTAIN CALLS

Old 07-21-03, 05:31 PM   #1
Julia

Post Johnny Massacre R.I.P

Dear All,

I found out today from the sword swallowers list that Johnny Massacre died in a car accident on the 18th of July, in Ireland.
The Funeral is taking place on the 22nd of July in Longford.

I put a note up in Covent Garden, some flowers have been sent to the funeral. There might be a benifit show happening, but i don't actually know for sure as i am leaving tomorrow.
There is an article in the Irish Independent (21st july) i will mail it to Jim so he can put it up here.

Jewels

[ 07-21-2003: Message edited by: Julia ]</p>

www.nothingimpossible.net
Julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-03, 10:51 PM   #2
Jim
Your Host

Johnny Massacre was a member here. I never actually met him, but here's his Who's Who post.

And here's the article Julia sent in:

I tried to find it posted online, but no luck. You'll have to deal with the scan.

Jim
Old 07-22-03, 12:11 AM   #3
Jim
Your Host

Lightbulb

Johnny's web site:
http://www.johnnymassacre.com/

Also, An article about the crash...

Irish Independent, Sat July 19, 2003

Garda and wife hurt in fatal three-car crash

A MAN in his late 30s was killed and a garda and his wife were seriously injured after a three-car crash on the main Dublin-Sligo road yesterday.

John Doran (39) from Lisnamuck, Co Longford, was killed after his car crashed into another on the N4 at around 11.15am.

Garda Michael Moran and his wife, Margaret, were last night both in a serious condition in Longford Westmeath general hospital after the car which Mr Doran was driving hit their Opel Zafira on the straight stretch of road between Kinnegad and Mullingar.

A Renault Laguna, carrying three adults and a child, then hit the Opel.

However, the four in the Laguna were not said to be in seriously hurt, and were taken to hospital for observation.

The accident happened just outside Kinnegad at Crossanstown when the Toyota Corolla Mr Doran was driving towards Mullingar from the Kinnegad direction collided with the Opel.

The two other cars in the crash were travelling in the opposite direction towards Dublin. Mr Moran and his wife were travelling from Kinlock in Co Leitrim when their car was struck.

Gardai in Mullingar are appealing for witnesses to the accident, which happened in good weather conditions on a straight stretch of road with a dry surface at an area known locally as Corrstown National School.

Anyone with information should contact the Gardai at Mullingar at 044 48915.
Old 07-23-03, 06:02 AM   #4
nick nickolas

Shit..

... R.I.P. ..
Johnny....? FUCK !!!! You hit a cop !!!!

Johnny mate,, thanks for the Laughs, inspiration and all round good will....

I crack a beer 4 u now...

Your sadly missed....

Nick
Old 07-24-03, 02:28 PM   #5
jugglermatt1

I knew him , a nice guy who helped us out last year in Galway .He was getting more and more corporate gigs in Dublin , and so driving more and more , a victim of his own success maybye .
jugglermatt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-03, 07:16 AM   #6
The Amazing Beaumanz

I did not know him, but i would like to offer my sympathy to his family and friends.
Old 07-25-03, 05:14 PM   #7
Scot Free

Jonny you will be missed.
I got this sad news this morning from a friend.
Aparently Johnny was buried with some of his props in his green suit.
I wish you an afterlife full of Guinness, blood puddin' and sausages my friend.
Also cracking a beer for you brother...
Scot Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-03, 11:03 PM   #8
Amy

Send a message via ICQ to Amy
Jonny
Your good self will be missed...
Just heard the sad news...
Bowled over by it
RIP, Guinness, and bed of nail surf boards of death
Love
Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-03, 01:35 PM   #9
pat the bike guy

Send a message via ICQ to pat the bike guy
I met Johnny a couple of weeks ago in killarney and i tought he had a great show and was a fun guy to hang out with . I can t believe this sad news. Pat
pat the bike guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-03, 02:38 PM   #10
Caisiy

What a wonderfuly sweet man. He was so gooddam funny! Glad to have experienced his laughter and beautiful smile. I will remember that for a long time. Yeah we drank to him last night too. Guiness all around.

Does any one have his address? I have a photo that i would love to send his parents. ThanX!
Caisiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-03, 12:14 PM   #11
Tim Scher/Motley, Arizona Jones

Sorry guys, Iīve never used performers.net before in all these years, so I posted this to the wrong place before, but here you go...

Arizona Jones

posted 07-29-2003 09:15 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is my terrible duty to report a tragedy in our ranks. This is not a joke.
Last Friday, July the 18th, on the way back from dropping off his brother at the Dublin airport, Johnny Doran, a.k.a. Johnny Massacre was caught in a 3 car pile up traffic accident on the outskirts of Dublin. 3 others were carried off to hospital, but the Guarda (Irish police) pronounced Johhny dead on the scene at 11 am Friday morning.

I never met anyone who knew Johnny and didnīt like him. As street shows go, Iīve never met anyone happier or humbler, or more Irish. This was not a self inflicted death like some artists I have known. Johnny was in his prime. He was happier, his show stronger, and with more ambition than in the three years I have known him. He even stopped drinking the previous six weeks. His death came as a shock to me, and to everyone who knew him.

The wake and the funeral were the largest and classiest and merriest I have ever seen or even heard of. Conservative Irish and crazy haired artists alike filled the cathedral at Longford, Ireland. Drinking and reveling and commiserating and euligizing and singing with his family and friends stretched out over four solid days, interrupted only by two hours of catholic church. He was finally put in the ground Tuesday afternoon, buried with his costume and some juggling props.

The pitch where he lived the last three years, in Galway, Ireland, has been turned into a shrine by the locals who loved him, with heaps of flowers, and pictures, and there is even talk of a statue. His mother has had to cope with the loss of her husband, and then her son, two years in a row. Anyone who would like to send her condolences may to so at:
Mrs. Pauline Doran, c/o Antony
16 Presentation Road
Galway
Republic of Ireland

This was an unforseeable tragedy to one of our own. I miss him, and I was amazed how many people feel the same. Our thoughts and prayers are with Johnny.

Tim
Tim Scher/Motley, Arizona Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-03, 07:47 PM   #12
stickman

Apple

Well Johnny just finished downing a guiness for ya, and switched to whiskey as normal. I've never drank as much as I have when in your company. You were a friend, a great person to share a stage or a street pitch with. I know I wouldn't have had near as much work or fun in Ireland if it wasn't for you. You made me remember why I'm a performer more often then I'd like to admit. I'm a better person and performer for having known you. I hope the new pitch is everything we've all dreamed of, "eventually" I'll come join ya. You've touched alot of people, and not just because of the show. I wish there were more of you out there. If there isn't a plaque up when I get back there I'll figure out how to do it myself. No more catcus' or potted plants, but the price sucks. You'll never really die, in my lifetime and If I learned anything about the irish they won't let you either.

Tim Michell
Stickman
stickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-06, 02:51 PM   #13
Jim
Your Host

Default Video Tribute to Johnny

This was just sent in to me today. It's a nice little video tribute to Johnny Massacre. Looks like it was filmed in Galway. Check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoEZbLfoO6g
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-06, 11:39 AM   #14
stephenmcginley

Thanks for posting the video...

The "Renegade" stage at this year's EJC in Ireland will be called the "Massacre" stage as a tribute.

Last edited by stephenmcginley; 05-16-06 at 11:55 AM.
stephenmcginley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-06, 11:48 AM   #15
le pire

Default ...

freaked me out for a second there...

Having an "are you Dave Gorman?" moment.

Last edited by le pire; 05-16-06 at 12:01 PM.
le pire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-06, 06:54 PM   #16
Road Mage

Just came from a week in Galway, Johnny is still fondly remembered by all there and many a great story was relayed to me by the people of the city.

A young Kid named Ruben is performing on the street there now, doing a similar show to Johnny, some of the locals saying he's the rightful heir to the Massacre Mantle.

Was very impressed by the plaque decidated to Johnny on the pitch. Have many other performers been given an honour by their resident city like that?

Owen
www.roadmage.com
"Why Don't We Do It In The Road" - Lennon & McCartney
Road Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-06, 08:09 PM   #17
Jim
Your Host

Quote:
Originally posted by Road Mage
Was very impressed by the plaque decidated to Johnny on the pitch. Have many other performers been given an honour by their resident city like that?
Igor Fokin is remembered in Harvard Square in Cambridge, MA. He died almost 10 years ago in September, 1996.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-07, 03:13 AM   #18
stickman

Quote:
Originally posted by Road Mage

Owen
In Meeting House Square, Temple Bar, Dublin, Ireland there is another plaque for Diceman. He was a human statue who fought for the right to perform, and is considered a bit of a legend for it. He was before my time, but I was told he was arrested for dressing in drag. People were shocked by the concept at the time. He died of aids, in Temple Bar. Incidentally both plaques were created by the same gentleman, whom can be still be found performing with his puppets.

Stickman
stickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-07, 01:27 PM   #19
martin ewen

Default They set him on fire and he wouldn't stop.

the diceman did single-handedly what no amount of people less than fully committed could do,he became a legend because he wanted to do one thing and let nothing stop him.
He is remembered and well loved and an inspiration.

[if I may say so]
martin ewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-07, 10:09 PM   #20
jeep caillouet

Default Bucksnort

yes Jim, my dog bucksnort and I recieved A plack on the corner of. Toulouse and Royal where we worked in New Orleans for many years It was placed on the barricade that closed off the street by a cop that threw a benefit for us. WE where in a really bad car wreck in April of 91. We got run over by a bus doing 75 mph we where doing 45 mph , Bucksnort was erroneously put down. She was a really great performer There was a plack on that corner barricade for many years. Oh yes Orange county animal control (Orlando) did pay dearly for there mistakes . And there where many benefits for us all across America. Five days after the wreck I had a checking account with more money in it than I had in my whole life I'm talking shit loads! Again I say thank you to the many that helped us in a very difficult time. Bucksnort was a hell of a dog !