performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS... > PROMO STUFF (MARKETING, MEDIA, ETC.)

Old 11-29-07, 03:32 AM   #1
Lee Nelson

Default new promo vid....comments....feedback

check this link and tell me what you think fellow earthlings

dont make me cry please, I am sensitive

http://youtube.com/watch?v=IfeAHcaoGME

cheers
Lee
Lee Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-07, 09:13 AM   #2
Dan Holzman

There are a lot of good things about your video. Your skills look strong, and I think the energy and warmth you project are great.

On the negative side, because there is only outside footage I think this video limits your appeal mostly to festival bookers, and might make it difficult to get work in other venues(revues, cruises, ect) . I also don't get a true sense of your entire act since there is no sample bit of dialogue included, I see your mouth moving quite a bit, so I know you are not a silent act, but I have no idea what your comedy is like or how your voice sounds . I was a little worried when I saw the part where you climb on the volunteers back that you could injure someone, If I was a booker that might scare me a bit.

Good luck and best wishes,
Dan
Old 11-29-07, 10:37 AM   #3
Lee Nelson

Default more please

thanks Dan
I should say that this video is intended solely for street performance. I have other videos for stage and roving

more comments
my skin is toughening up
go for it
Old 11-29-07, 11:55 AM   #4
gav

It's pretty good.
Could do without the 4 screen split bit.
As Dan says, could do with some audio of you saying stuff and also of the audience reacting positively to what you are doing (which you can see that they're doing). Clapping and cheering and stuff.
Maybe halve the hug scenes.
I wouldn't worry about the climbing over people thing as I'm pretty sure you have the experience to evaluate if they can take it or not.
Like the version of 'express yourself' fancy sending me the mp3 ?
How cold is it in Iceland right now ?
-6c last night here.
gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-07, 12:20 PM   #5
Lee Nelson

cheers gav,
hovering steadily on freezing for almost 2 months now. Its the almost constant wind and rain that make it seem like -20. Getting pretty good at walking on invisible ice though.
Hmmm...the talking thing. That was a conscious personal decision. The shows I filmed had their lines delivered very specifically at certain times to certain races in certain languages. I didnt think the funniest bits where gonna translate. Plus I hate the sound of my voice and that music is pretty cool.

The four screen bit is going to date hideously in the next couple of years and seeing as though I never want to go through this process again for "Wally" again I think I should change it forthwith.
And I agree that I could lose some hugging. Or at least hug sexy ladies. Easy fixes.
mp3 coming your way

Thanks.

More more more more more more more more
tell me what you hate. Tell me what you like.
I give musical prizes!!!!
Old 11-29-07, 12:50 PM   #6
Dan Holzman

Here are a few more thoughts. Remember I am slightly insane so do with them what you want.

1) I feel as if the whole kiss on the cheek, oops I turned bit, is way over done. Cute the first time I saw it, after repeated viewings, done by too many people, my hack sensor starts to tingle. I think you are better then that.

2) Maybe three different objects juggled during the finale, a hat, a knife, and something else. Might give more assumed difficulty to the audience and maybe it could add more comedy potential.

3)Why are you not wearing a Mic?

4) I would also like to see a wider range of skills. I see some acro, a one ball routine, a couple of tricks on the ladder, and lots of hugging. I'm sure you have more bits, why not show them?

5)about the climbing bit, be careful, do you explain what you are going to do, and ask permission? Even one guy claiming a back injury who feels he could get some money from an event or from you could be a bummer.

Let me know when you've had enough and I will crawl back into my cave.
Dan
Old 11-29-07, 01:01 PM   #7
gav

I know what you're saying with the language thing Lee. I have a video that's several years old and filmed in Vienna and for the same reasons I didn't include my own words. Too many jokes in German.
This year I thought to make a new one. Trouble was it would have been mostly Italian or Croatian with some English. Not really ideal for the world market.
I'll wait untill I go to Oz to make a new one.
gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-07, 01:18 PM   #8
Lee Nelson

Default this is fun but.......

Thanks again.
You have to consider the effort of a travelling street performer filming and producing a street video. At the end of the day you have to work with what you have to work with. I shot 4 nights in a row at the same location and same time and edited. 1 year later I am making the video.

So .... for posterity....

Dan...

1. "Kiss on the cheek" - even better now because everybody knows its coming. To still talk somebody into something they know there going to get takes talent. It should be celebrated!!

2. Different objects in juggle. Interestingly in the year between filming and production...I now juggle 3 different objects. It makes me more money!! And I have more fun and new material that is still blessedly discovering new avenues to evolve in. Cant turn back time though.

3. No mike. Not allowed on the pitch. I love it. I have evolved a massive voice from 5 years in Capetown. I dont need a mike anymore. Thats something to be celebrated. I do enjoy using a mike but I think that not needing one shows more versatility for a street artist.

4. More skills. I wanted to keep it vague because I do alot of different skills and do train daily to evolve new ones. When I put them in I dont want to feel my video has dated. I dont want to do this again for this show forever if I can. I'm trying to sell the atmosphere created. I think. Not my skills, they are just tools.

5. The climbing. I aint american. I dont think like that. Besides I almost always have my own weight and I make damn sure that man loves me and is a hero before he leaves.

That little session of justification for interesting questions made me realise some interesting new points.

Thanks Dan.... I ll send you a copy of a different yet just as entertaining song, soon.

Anybody else have anything to say???
Old 11-29-07, 02:15 PM   #9
Dan The One Man Band
Original Member

Hey Lee:
I like the promo, although a bit of talking thrown in would be effective. I like the song choice. Is it an all physical comedy show? it gives that impression. I know you have lots of funny things to say. Perhaps you're trying to prevent language from being a barrier as to the festivals and events that hire you? The flow is good. You come across like a lovely huggable man.

That's my 2 scents.
Dan
Old 11-29-07, 07:20 PM   #10
stickman

Canada

Lee I love it. Then again I'm attracted to joy filled smiles in the audience. Makes me tempted to watch a walking ladder show, and that's saying a lot. P.S. I also like the back thing, but they might be right. Over sensitive <edited>.

Stickman
stickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-07, 01:01 AM   #11
Evan Young

Send a message via AIM to Evan Young

I think it's great. The entire time it has a feeling of fun things happening. I don't mind that you cut the talking because the physicality is very strong and I could see it being a strong show without words. I think the skills highlighted are great. Most of the best street acts I've seen are basically three trick shows with lots of interaction. trick heavy shows with little interaction tend to flop on the street and any experienced festival promoter knows that.
the kiss the cheek gag is hacky, but it looks like a blow off joke in your video, not a whole bit, so it doesn't matter, it's just part of the fun.
the only criticism I have is that you look a bit scruffy. your costume looks awesome, but your hair looks kind of rough. (I have the same problem frequently, and getting a trim makes me way more successful with my promotions)
I also think that successful performers are always looking forward to making the next brand new promo pack/video.
those are my comments, I swear I'm not just trying to disagree with Dan.

ka-pow!
www.globalevan.com
www.showoffshow.com
www.evanshotme.com
Evan Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-07, 03:16 AM   #12
Lee Nelson

Default cheers guys

hey all
thanks very much for the feedback. My editor and I are way too close to this project to be properly critical and your insights are proving valuable.

Once again, thanks all for taking the time
cheers
Lee

p.s. I am going back to Africa on Tuesday morning and escaping this fucking weather for a couple of months. Maybe Ill get a haircut and start again....
I dont think so.

Love and Fluff
Old 11-30-07, 02:02 PM   #13
Scot Free

looks great Lee, good job! it is very clear from the video that you do Love What Yer Doin', and so does your audience!

RE: Haircut
I bet you clean up reeeeaaaal good!

p.s your PM mailbox is full!
Scot Free is offline   Reply With Quote