performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS... > RESOURCES/EDUCATIONAL MATERIAL

Old 11-22-07, 06:29 AM   #1
Lynneski

Default Anyone going to attend Bristol conference?

Saw this in Alan Clay's newsletter:

Independent Street Arts Network Conference, Bristol, UK, 28th - 29th November 2007. ISAN are holding a 2 day residential conference to allow the in-depth discussion of issues critical to the development of the sector, facilitate networking both between promoters and promoters as well as artists and promoters. The conference theme is "To Boldly Go..." The programme will be a lively mix of presentations, practical activity, debate, discussion and networking. Experienced speakers and facilitators, including international guests, will lead the sessions, while maximum input will be sought from the delegates. Plenary sessions will allow delegates to explore specific issues in depth. The number of places has been deliberately limited to enable detailed discussion. The 2007 conference will focus on some of the key areas for development that ISAN and the wider sector have identified recently, as well as the conferences usual core activity, including opportunities related to the Olympic Games of 2012 and the new policy of Arts Council England concerning art in public spaces (Outdoor Performance Strategy)." Frank Wilson, Chairman.

Any p.netters planning to attend? Perhaps you can post a few words here to share what was discussed.
Old 11-22-07, 10:59 AM   #2
Evan Young

Send a message via AIM to Evan Young

that sounds very technical for street performers.

ka-pow!
www.globalevan.com
www.showoffshow.com
www.evanshotme.com
Evan Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-07, 08:03 AM   #3
Lynneski

Granted, it may seem like a bit of a stretch for a solo artist who is largely North American-based. But we have many members in the UK and Europe, many of whom are involved in the scale of event and spectacle that this organization addresses, and some of whom are also producers and programmers who attend this sort of function as professional development activity and scouting opportunities. The world is a bit bigger than yours.
Old 11-23-07, 08:59 AM   #4
Evan Young

oh, yeah, I know. I just noticed that the write up was really dry and boring, that's all.
They are promoting street performing, and good street performers use short, simple sentences, words that anyone will understand, etc. Reading the write up just struck me as a juxtaposition.
My world isn't that small, I understand what the post is about. I didn't mean to sound like I was criticizing. sorry

ka-pow!
www.globalevan.com
www.showoffshow.com
www.evanshotme.com

Last edited by Evan Young; 11-23-07 at 09:08 AM.
Old 11-23-07, 04:01 PM   #5
Evan Young

Default I probably know people who were there

oh yeah. I went to circus school in Bristol. How's that for my world being small. I'm kind of frustrated at how you talked down to me in a public forum; I don't think I deserved it.

ka-pow!
www.globalevan.com
www.showoffshow.com
www.evanshotme.com
Old 12-16-07, 04:21 PM   #6
em

Default ISAN

ISAN is an organisation comprising for the most part of bookers, promoters and producers. Then there's NASA (yeah, i know) which is a mirror organisation of "street arts" performers (street arts being the term used in the UK to describe anyone who works in the outdoor environment, meant to sound more "mature"). Meetings and socials are had by both abbreviated groups throughout the year and its often a place to network, catch-up or get blotto with your mates.

However, i sometimes rail against it as i think that there is a lot of waffle and "arts speak" and i prefer to just go and do a show....but on the plus side its basically an information giving opportunity, a way of getting support/gigs/meeting old friends/collaborating on new work/and getting blotto...again. Its not everyone's cup of tea but sharing your world with others is never a bad thing...in the UK the majority of work is paid, of course there's busking pitches all over the country but its not the primary way to earn money for the majority...not any more anyway. So for this reason we have to earn our work i guess, and as much as i hate it, we have to network (oooo i hate that word)....
so thats whats going on over here....
em is offline   Reply With Quote