performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > FESTIVAL DISCUSSIONS

Old 04-23-07, 08:39 AM   #1
The Amazing Beaumanz

Default sunfest West Palm Beach

Anybody ever tried crashing this event????
Old 01-03-08, 09:59 AM   #2
R. Wade Henry

Default SunFest

Hey Dallas,

I realize you started this thread back in April, but I just noticed it now and thought you'd like info:

SunFest really isn't "crashable" - it is an event with admission gate and programmed entertainment.

I worked the event for about 6 years in a row. I charged them my standard performing fee and they paid it. I serviced them well with quality shows. They run a stage for family oriented variety acts (both pro and local dance clubs, etc.). They also have hired street entertainment to work the grounds. I've done both.

A big draw for SunFest is the music concert program. National Acts are put on 3 large stages at the extreme ends of the Festival. The other draw is a huge fine art show.

To perform at SunFest, you need to contact the entertainment coordinator. I don't know who it is this year, as it's a different person.

Organized events like this have entertainment budgets. Why even consider "crashing" them? The music acts get paid BIG money....why not a variety act or street performer? Crashing the act for "tips" isn't fruitful. If successful, you'll make less than if you would have gotten yourself booked legitimately. If not successful, you promote the idea of street performers as difficult nuissances.

There are many, many places to perform on tips by just showing up: Key West, New Orleans, Boulder, Savannah....Pier 60. These are "Pitches". That's fine. It's good that we have them.

But Organized Events need to pay for entertainment. They pay for music and other acts. They have sponsorships and budgets and resources. And we all know that the above average street show really delivers the goods and is worth every bit as much as other entertainment. In some cases, more.
R. Wade Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-08, 07:48 PM   #3
The Amazing Beaumanz

Hat

Back then it was probably to late to get into the festival on their budget. More times than not, "crashing" the event has also served as an audition for the next year. This is how 8 years ago I got into Art Deco Weekend in Miami (and am still doing it), Deland Fall Festival of The Arts and several other events as well. I think I have a 100% success rate that if I can get one whole show off, I WILL be invited back the following year.

I also perform frequently at Clematis By Night in West Palm and might have been looking to make a weekend trip out of it?? Who knows?

I guess you could also say I like the thrill of "night hawking" an event.

How's things things going Wade?? I've been booking quite a few State Fairs this season, a few County fairs, and some Art Festivals in the Midwest for the Summer and Fall of this year. Things have been going great. I got married this past Summer at Pier 60 to Sharon(HUGE EVENT!!Alot of really cool performers came from all over and Channel 10 did a huge piece on it)

Hope all is well,
Dallas