performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > BUSKING Q&A/GENERAL PERFORMING TOPICS

Old 01-28-08, 01:20 PM   #21
Steven Ragatz

Don't get me wrong - I'm not personally sensitive as I know perfectly well that juggling has certain stigmas associated with it. Frankly, I am fairly confident that you dislike juggling/jugglers far less than I dislike hip-hop/rap dancing. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate the marketability of being one, it just means I wait for the next act when I see one perform. Simply put, I'm 42 and it's just not my scene.

Quote:
Having said that, screw desk jobs. I already know I'm good enough I'll never have to do that again, whether cirque decides they like my act or not.
Now, if you can harness that attitude and present it non-confrontationally, you're most of the way to passing the audition.

Steven Ragatz
Steven Ragatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-08, 01:44 PM   #22
FADE

Send a message via AIM to FADE

easy there, I'm jaded towards juggling - as in doing it myself. I fully realize that if you can't connect with an audience, you can't do live entertainment. If an audience walks away, it's not because they are a bad audience. That's why I said I didn't blame them.

Sounds like a couple people feel that I'm being pretty insulting. Is this a general consensus? I understand where that jaded comment could be misconstrued and I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how I've insulted the other disciplines. If I have it's because you stink. (Kidding, kidding, I promise!)

With that in mind, in the off chance that anybody out there makes a living performing multiple birthing acts, please understand, that
Quote:
poor vagina lady...
was not a comment meant to criticize your performing skill in any way.
Old 01-28-08, 01:54 PM   #23
FADE

Hey jeep, click media on the home page. Been so long since I've gone on myself I had to browse there to remember.

yeah, I really need to put pictures and video on the home page as links of their own rather than put them under the vague heading of media.
Old 01-28-08, 03:42 PM   #24
Steven Ragatz

Quote:
Sounds like a couple people feel that I'm being pretty insulting.
Not at all, at least I'm not insulted. If I thought any of you guys weren't worth the time, I wouldn't waste it typing! I'm answering your question about auditioning for Cirque du Soleil to the best of my abilities, and also calling Jeep out on his broad generalizations that he likes to make about jugglers - a generalization that I feel represents an attitude that isn't conducive to a good audition.

Work on being good, not being successful. If you are good, then success will find you. (Tony Montenarro told me this once.)

Steven Ragatz
Steven Ragatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-08, 11:04 PM   #25
Evan Young

Send a message via AIM to Evan Young

If I saw a dog walk up and down a ramp, I don't think I would call it a show. I might call it "special" though.

Jeep, sniping at you isn't constructive, but neither were your comments. I will give you some credit for an attempt at what you might consider good advice, but you really missed the mark.
(and yes, my street show is very middle of the road comedy juggler).

Fade, you seem confused; you posted this: "I tend to agree that it's something that everybody seems to be doing and I usually find juggling very bland for this reason." <--- you really don't think that's a little short sighted? I post things I didn't mean to say a lot, and then when people get pissed I go back and re-read it and realize what I said.
P.S. 2/3rds of the pics on your site show your act performing juggling skills.

I don't think you need any more encouragement, but here we go anyway.

Go to the audition, spend the money and never think about it again until you record it on your taxes. I've spent thousands promoting in places where there was no return, almost all of us have. This year my college show is starting to really pay off, after three years of very slow business (next year it may become my primary income show). No risk, no gain. If you want to do it you just have to do it. Find out what steps you need to do to get the job you want, and then take the first step, go to the audition. Ask qualified people who have experience with the company, (like steven, not jeep) more questions about what's going to happen at the audition and what they might be looking for in cast members so that you are prepared, (like how you asked pyro about auditioning fire skills).

good luck

ka-pow!
www.globalevan.com
www.showoffshow.com
www.evanshotme.com

Last edited by Evan Young; 01-28-08 at 11:57 PM.
Evan Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-08, 09:18 AM   #26
FADE

Good point. That was a crummy thing to say on my part.

Dog shows aren't really my scene, but wow, that was cold, man. I feel really guilty being amused.
Old 01-29-08, 01:39 PM   #27
jeep caillouet

Default calling me out

Morning , Evan, fade Steven and others.Evan I'm not sure if you've seen my current show or not ,but my dog does not walk up or down any ramps.I did teach my 102 lb. dog to climb up and head first down nearly straight up standing house latter's.I also tought my dog to walk on one 3 inch rope 10 ft. across 6 ft. in the air. She also runs straight at you full speed and jumps flat footed up and snatches a 5, 10 ,or 20 dollar bill out of your mouth and goes and puts it in a bucket. she also has to leave your nose! This is very difficult as the rope has to be very tight with as little movement as possible in the rope. I usually use two 1 inch ropes fairly tight as it easier and makes the routine a little more fluid for my crowd to enjoy. she can also walk on the two ropes very slack witch is I think even harder ,as the two ropes could spread apart and that leaves nothing left but the splits , OUCH! I also have to do a rope escape before she does all these tricks on one command.It's makes for a good show if we can finish about the same .time. I did make this routine up. I also did this routine on a TV show called Pet Star with Mario Lopez on animal planet. We won first place in the the show ! And the competition was tough. Since most jugglers that I've seen do comedy along with their juggling and If Fade your just another middle of the road comedy juggler my advise was don't go.Your probably not what there looking for. As we all know it ain't easy out here. I don't think I missed the mark. I think Fade was looking for good advise not encouragement. I did look at your pictures Fade on your web site and you looked real good. I'd say go for it. Your poi looks real good! That's some thing they might like. As I've wrote about before we had some 11 jugglers out of 18 spots juggling here last year.A little over whelming don't you think since most had a fanalie of juggling 3 objects of some sort It was like being in New Orleans in th80's with the balloon clowns( there was 13 at one time in Jackson Sq.)OH NO there's another one RUUUUUUUUUN! Your right Evan I have zero experience with that company,but I do have experience in most areas of the performing arts ,since about 1956 , when I won my first piano competition. I started working full time as a performer some time about 1973, and I haven't had a day job since. I competed in 1979 in Memphis in the mid south battle of the bands(50 bands from 5 states) I won! But I t wasn't easy one might say. As I entered the competition ,audition, we all picked numbers from a hat as when to perform. I lucked out I drew 50. Now we got to do three songs and I had me three worked out ending with a kick ass'"Free Bird" . Sure to win. Well how many bad versions of that song can one hear? I noticed the judges chringh and be annoyed at every ten minute guitar solo of that song. I chose to change and do a kick ass country song a rocking rock and roll song ending with a high energy bluegrass song" Rocky top". The judges woke up and the crowd of 2000 or so went wild. YEHAAAAAAAAA. I also won 2nd place in national competition in the Wild Turkey Jam.I've done several TV commercials as the speaker,Been in a few movies even played myself once.Performed nearly every town and city in the USA and parts of Canada and Mexico. At 16 I played as the Cactus Kid in a western show in Eight flags over Biloxi,Mississippi We did 8 thirty minute shows daily. Built a few musical instruments and taught people to play them.I've done nearly every street trade that I have seen including juggling.My first full circle act was a spoof of all the different acts on the pier at Mallory. My juggling consisted of juggle 1 2 3 then I put them on the ground and I'd say "I'll leave the juggling to the jugglers". I don't think I dropped a ball doing that routine. HUUUUM... I was a art major in collage. There's still a lot more But I wasn't thinking of writing a book. I will post some pictures later and finish this... Since you called me out ,stand up what you got. Company just came in, gotta go...Damn that was good joint!
Old 01-29-08, 02:35 PM   #28
Butterfly Man
Refurbished Member

Guitar if you've seen one Sonny Holiday, you've seen them all

Quote:
I was a art major in collage. There's still a lot more But I wasn't thinking of writing a book.

Now, that's a relief.
Old 01-29-08, 02:41 PM   #29
Stephon
Handonmy Member

Whoa, jeep! Please take a look at this before your next long post.

Your last one reads more like you snorted a line, rather than smoked a joint.

Swami Yomahmi
~The Original Sideshow Geek~
Stephon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-08, 04:46 PM   #30
FADE

I don't think anyone is calling you out Jeep.

You know how audiences cheer when we say we're about to do something very dangerous, and yawn at some of the most difficult technical tricks?

That's why I found Evan's comment amusing. It's not because I don't think you've done hard work on your show. It's because I am just like your average sadistic audience member.

I recognize your interest in helping out and appreciate it. I'll be dropping by Florida again one of these days, perhaps I'll get a chance to say hey.

Thanks all, I appreciate the tips.
Old 01-29-08, 06:49 PM   #31
Evan Young

Send a message via AIM to Evan Young

Jeep, I've never seen yer show or met you in real life, but I have plenty of friends who have and there is plenty of love out there for you, so I love you too.
I was just hitting you with the same kind of flat generalization you hit us with; kind of hit a nerve huh?

ka-pow!
www.globalevan.com
www.showoffshow.com
www.evanshotme.com
Evan Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-08, 09:15 PM   #32
Schuyler

Send a message via Skype™ to Schuyler

Quote:
Originally posted by FADE
Thanks all, I appreciate the tips.
No trouble, I'm just glad I could help.

~Schuyler
Schuyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-08, 10:53 PM   #33
martin ewen

http://www.antigravitytheatre.com/mo...03/lurque.html

here's my rundown of my experience.

No-one here knows what is being looked for, juggling has always been a vehicle for something, [with luck a personality]
It could be a look or an attitude or any number of things.
It's your call.
martin ewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-08, 08:50 AM   #34
Rachel Peters

Question: What exactly does Rumpel's act consist of, which Cirque loves so much?

I've never seen it, but I bet it's a LOT of personality.

www.rachelpeters.com
Rachel Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-08, 09:50 AM   #35
Lee Nelson

Default funnily enough

interestingly enough Rachel, it consists of 10 percent juggling, 10 percent unicycling and 80 percent endurance in all its forms!!!

Id love to know what hes doing, I bet hes playing a hippy in the Beatles Sgt Pepper period...
Lee Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-08, 02:17 PM   #36
jeep caillouet

Default NICE STORY

Gosh,I've wanted to say this for a long time"I feel like a beginner out here"!
Old 01-31-08, 11:39 AM   #37
Butterfly Man
Refurbished Member

Butterfly Ketsu ga aoi

Compared to me ... you are ... and don't forget that ... ever.
Old 01-31-08, 08:39 PM   #38
jeep caillouet

Default arn't you

com down, com down, Robert Nelson arn,t you that guy that I use to see in San Francisco some years ago? A bad headed hippie with a tat. on his head that juggled, that moved to Hawaii! Wacka wacka nuka licka, kicka puka maka waawaa heenee, whatta hecka mooka mooka! You sound like a grumpie old man that ain't been LAYED ,pun intended ,lately. I was hanging out in Waialua surfing Waimea bay when you heard it was cool to be there.... Dont stand up unless you whant to be shot at! ...