performers.net forums  

Go Back   performers.net forums > BUSKING STUFF > SPECIFIC PITCHES/CITIES/COUNTRIES

Old 05-27-08, 12:57 AM   #1
kennethkahn

Default Streets of SF

Should be and interesting summer here in San Fran Sillyness. So far the new pilot program has not solved the problem of street performing in this city.

I know some performers think first come first serve is not the answer. Personally, I think there is no other method suitable for the streets.

To me the problem at San Francisco's Fisherman's Wharf, is that performers have come to think that certain locations are reserved for themselves. They feel as though their acts are a "cut above" the rest of the performers, so therefor they are entitled to perform at certain locations of their desires, when they want to. The problem with this, is that their is no way for one act to prove that their act is better than anothers. Now I agree that a circle act that can draw a large crowd should have a little more leverage, but the flip side to this is that I've seen acts at the wharf, which draw huge crowds, but were in my oppinion, nothing more than a bunch of commercial fluff, that cattered to the lowest common denominator. While I've seen other acts, which I thought were outstanding not draw much attention.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kenny.jpg (26.0 KB, 132 views)
kennethkahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-08, 01:02 AM   #2
kennethkahn

Kenny the Clown, makes a good point here. There are some hacks at the wharf that draw good crowds, and their are some shows that try to doing something more artistic, but go unnoticed.

Anything other than first come first serve, leaves the door wide open for the worst side of the streets to dictate the use of public space. The message has to be sent to the streets, as well as the professional buskers, that everyone has to play fair, of everyone is going to lose. I think this point has been proven sufficiently beyond a shadow of a doubt in San Francisco.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cityhallpic.jpg (60.8 KB, 132 views)
Old 05-27-08, 03:36 AM   #3
gav

Are you replying to yourself ?
gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-08, 07:49 AM   #4
Lee Nelson

Default duhh!

Isnt it obvious...
one has hair, one doesnt = different people.

All clowns are schizophrenic.
Lee Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-08, 10:52 AM   #5
kennethkahn

First of all who are you calling a clown? As far as being a scitzo, no I'm not. Yes I am.

That was actually some internal dialogue between Kenny the Clown, and the former Mayorial candidate for the City of San Francisco, Kenneth Kahn, both of who are I (me, & myself).

I say we bring real street performing back to SF.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ktc_jugglebb5_purple2.jpg (14.8 KB, 79 views)